SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
[solved] VDASH broke my car - help?

Break as in rendered useless. It had three keys programmed but one is lost. I therefore clicked "Erase key (not keyless)" thinking I would be prompted or guided through the removal process of removing one key. But nothing seemed to happen, though now both VDASH and my car reads as having 0 programmed keys, meaning all three were removed!!!

I will admit to slightly panicking because I need to take the car on a couple of hundred miles long trip in two days and in attempting to use (purchase) re-programming the key......... nothing happened! But money was charged though, so that's great. The add key-feature seems to be unlocked for my car right now so I've tried adding the key at least five times to no avail.

I tried calling the VDASH number but no reply right now. I sent them an email but I was just wondering if anyone else had heard of any such problems, if anyone else has any experience with programming keys or anything remotely like this?

The car's still in ignition II because I'm afraid that if I turn the ignition off I wont be able to get back into ignition II and I'll be even more screwed. I'm debating trying to start it, drive it to the dealer and leave it there and call them tomorrow morning or hope the battery will last through the night and that the vdash people will be quick to get back to me.

Registered
Break as in rendered useless. It had three keys programmed but one is lost. I therefore clicked "Erase key (not keyless)" thinking I would be prompted or guided through the removal process of removing one key. But nothing seemed to happen, though now both VDASH and my car reads as having 0 programmed keys, meaning all three were removed!!!

I will admit to slightly panicking because I need to take the car on a couple of hundred miles long trip in two days and in attempting to use (purchase) re-programming the key......... nothing happened! But money was charged though, so that's great. The add key-feature seems to be unlocked for my car right now so I've tried adding the key at least five times to no avail.

I tried calling the VDASH number but no reply right now. I sent them an email but I was just wondering if anyone else had heard of any such problems, if anyone else has any experience with programming keys or anything remotely like this?

The car's still in ignition II because I'm afraid that if I turn the ignition off I wont be able to get back into ignition II and I'll be even more screwed. I'm debating trying to start it, drive it to the dealer and leave it there and call them tomorrow morning or hope the battery will last through the night and that the vdash people will be quick to get back to me.
Wow, that鈥檚 crappy. I鈥檇 PM P.Rico as he seems to be the resident VDASH expert and a PM might notify him to come on the forum sooner if it triggers a message in his email that he has mail here on SS. Perhaps he can weigh in with helpful advice. Good luck; hope you can resolve your issue quickly.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Solved! The guy behind Vdash texted me and told me about the procedure. I kept the key in the slot because I didn't want to exit ignition mode II since I thought the software wouldn't be able to talk to the car if I did, and since the key didn't work I thought that I'd be even more screwed-erer if I exited.

But as it turns out you do need to remove the key from the slot, press "add key" in Vdash and then enter the key into the slot. Doing this re-programmed the key.

This whole experienced still cost me a bunch of "fml how am I going to sort this shiz" type of headaches and some money for the reprogramming that I could've happily put towards some other thing in Vdash. But still, I'm very happy that it was fixable and that I didn't have to get it towed to my dealer and pay them even more money.

Edit: The vdash guy texted me at 10:50 PM on a holiday which helped me fix the car, so even though I had to pay to fix my own mess I'm so happy about the helpfulness that I'm not even mad about any of it.

Registered
Good that this was quickly solved and thumbs up for the VDASH customer service.
What I find lacking with VDASH is the absence of written instructions for the procedures...

Registered
You should probably change the title of this thread to "I Broke My Car with VDASH" You shouldn't attempt to monkey around with software unless you know what to expect. Agreed the VDASH software is seriously lacking in instructions. That's why you should first inquire about a procedure that is unclear rather than just jumping in. Glad they were able to resolve this for you quickly :thumbup:

Registered
congrats for keep your nerve intact in such condition. Heard only great feedback about Vdash team and I was sure they would be able to help you.
Drive safe

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Good that this was quickly solved and thumbs up for the VDASH customer service.
What I find lacking with VDASH is the absence of written instructions for the procedures...
I sent them a very strongly worded email saying-... Okay no, but I did ask them to at least fix this key thing in the software.

You should probably change the title of this thread to "I Broke My Car with VDASH" You shouldn't attempt to monkey around with software unless you know what to expect. Agreed the VDASH software is seriously lacking in instructions. That's why you should first inquire about a procedure that is unclear rather than just jumping in. Glad they were able to resolve this for you quickly :thumbup:
Thank you mommy

No but seriously, I am the end user, I am experienced with computers and I don't consider this to be within the realm of normal oopsies. I would never in a million years have expected the "Erase key" button (singular, mind you) to with no warning, no confirmation prompt or anything, to erase not only the inserted key but all THREE programmed keys. But if you think differently I invite you to also click the erase key-button and experience the roller coaster glitch in the vdash matrix.

I did very much know what to expect though, but the problem arose from the software not following these expectations, and I have the best and most reasonable expectations let me tell you.

congrats for keep your nerve intact in such condition. Heard only great feedback about Vdash team and I was sure they would be able to help you.
Drive safe
Panic was a bit of a strong word but my head was spinning a bit, felt a bit embarrassed about it. The car was also parked in a garage that isn't mine that I used while decoding the CEM hooked to a charger, my car keys were rendered useless so I couldn't take the car out of there and I knew I needed the car for a long road trip within 1-2 days and I wasn't feeling too good thinking of calling up my dealer with "hey I accidentally un-programmed all of my keys", having to tow the car there etc etc, and then pay dealer grade dinares to fix my own mess. So in the end, this whole ordeal only cost me 鈧22 and that's okay with me.

Registered
Thank you mommy

I would never in a million years have expected the "Erase key" button (singular, mind you) to with no warning, no confirmation prompt or anything, to erase not only the inserted key but all THREE programmed keys.

I did very much know what to expect though, but the problem arose from the software not following these expectations,
LOL, Okay

Registered
Solved! The guy behind Vdash texted me and told me about the procedure. I kept the key in the slot because I didn't want to exit ignition mode II since I thought the software wouldn't be able to talk to the car if I did, and since the key didn't work I thought that I'd be even more screwed-erer if I exited.

But as it turns out you do need to remove the key from the slot, press "add key" in Vdash and then enter the key into the slot. Doing this re-programmed the key.

This whole experienced still cost me a bunch of "fml how am I going to sort this shiz" type of headaches and some money for the reprogramming that I could've happily put towards some other thing in Vdash. But still, I'm very happy that it was fixable and that I didn't have to get it towed to my dealer and pay them even more money.

Edit: The vdash guy texted me at 10:50 PM on a holiday which helped me fix the car, so even though I had to pay to fix my own mess I'm so happy about the helpfulness that I'm not even mad about any of it.
Hi Schmoyoho,

I've made the stupid mistake same as you did. Mind if you can explain in detail how you added back your existing key to the car?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Schmoyoho,

I've made the stupid mistake same as you did. Mind if you can explain in detail how you added back your existing key to the car?
I'm sure you've sorted this already but I'll reply if anyone else finds this thread. You just plug in your computer and click add key. The car doesn't need to be in ignition mode 0 (and it can't be, if you've already erased the keys, which apparently is necessary since you can't just remove only one key). Turn the car off, plug in the computer, click add key and THEN insert the key into the slot.

Registered
I'm sure you've sorted this already but I'll reply if anyone else finds this thread. You just plug in your computer and click add key. The car doesn't need to be in ignition mode 0 (and it can't be, if you've already erased the keys, which apparently is necessary since you can't just remove only one key). Turn the car off, plug in the computer, click add key and THEN insert the key into the slot.
Does this mean that you can add 'any' key to the car, including used keys from other cars? I'm asking as I recently bought a 2009 C30 1.6D, it came with only 1 key & at the time I didn't realise just how much an official new key would cost or that it's not possible (at least in the UK) to clone keys. My car tells me it has 2 keys registered so I'd like to delete the one I don't have, but it would be great to add another key for a reasonable amount of money.

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts