SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finishes December Up 90 Percent; 24 Percent Increase for the Year

ROCKLEIGH, N.J. (Jan. 5, 2016) - Volvo Car USA, LLC, (VCUSA) reported U.S. sales of 9,341 vehicles, an 89.9 percent increase versus December 2014. The top seller for the month was XC60 crossover with 3,510 vehicles sold, an increase of 68.8 percent versus December 2014. The all-new XC90 luxury SUV finished the month right behind with 3,135 vehicles sold.

For the year, VCUSA reported 70,047 vehicles sold, an increase of 24.3 percent versus 2014. The XC60 finished the year with a 35.6 percent increase versus 2014.

2015 is a true milestone in the turnaround of Volvo in the US,” said Lex Kerssemakers, President and CEO of Volvo Car USA. “To close the year with our best December since 2007 truly underscores the successes we’ve had this year and there is no better signal of what is to come in 2016 for us.

Following an $11 billion investment, the positive momentum has materialized with the first all-new model off the Scalable Product Architecture (SPA) platform, the XC90, with world-first safety technologies, a new design language, new powertrain architecture and a range of class-leading connectivity services.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Volvo had the best YoY increase in December, among all brands, at 89.9% and 3rd best YoY increase, in 2015, among all brands at 24.3% (Land Rover @ 37.1% and Jeep @ 24.9%).
Luxury market also grew, YoY: 7.7%

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Like someone said about getting the popcorn to watch Volvo's demise, I getting some popcorn to watch Volvo's new fireworks.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Finishes December Up 90 Percent; 24 Percent Increase for the Year

ROCKLEIGH, N.J. (Jan. 5, 2016) - Volvo Car USA, LLC, (VCUSA) reported U.S. sales of 9,341 vehicles, an 89.9 percent increase versus December 2014. The top seller for the month was XC60 crossover with 3,510 vehicles sold, an increase of 68.8 percent versus December 2014. The all-new XC90 luxury SUV finished the month right behind with 3,135 vehicles sold.

For the year, VCUSA reported 70,047 vehicles sold, an increase of 24.3 percent versus 2014. The XC60 finished the year with a 35.6 percent increase versus 2014.

2015 is a true milestone in the turnaround of Volvo in the US,” said Lex Kerssemakers, President and CEO of Volvo Car USA. “To close the year with our best December since 2007 truly underscores the successes we’ve had this year and there is no better signal of what is to come in 2016 for us.

Following an $11 billion investment, the positive momentum has materialized with the first all-new model off the Scalable Product Architecture (SPA) platform, the XC90, with world-first safety technologies, a new design language, new powertrain architecture and a range of class-leading connectivity services.

Bla bla bla commercials for naive customers. Vcc invest too much in comm.and not in improving all problems we had in past with our cars and enormously expensive services and parts. No thanks never again purchasing any Volvo. This experience costed me nerves money and reliability droped down of xc90 too much. No way I will keep my Vor but sad or not true is that just read our forum allways same parts fails...bevel gear transmissions bearings engine supports ect...tooo much chinese parts.

Sent from African Safary Jungle ;)

·
Registered
415 Posts
and to think that the XC60 is still ahead of the XC90 is just crazy. So around 70,000 cars in U.S. this year.... 90,000 next year? more?

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Very good news! It shows that people will buy a competitive Volvo. It also shows that the S60 is no longer competitive, where the XC60 obviously is, and should probably have priority over the XC60 on the SPA 60 series release schedule.

·
Registered
837 Posts
The things that stand out are:

Abysmal S60 sales - this car has really just tanked over the last year or so. Really a poor showing in its segment. I attribute much of it to styling.

XC60 sales crazy strong - This just shows how great this car is in its segment (really the opposite of the S60). I mean, heck, this body style was introdcued in 2009 in Europe and 2010 in the U.S. It is at the end of its lifecycle and still looks good compared to the X3, Q5 and whatever Mercedes is naming their small SUV this week.

XC90 Sweetness - Can you say "pent up demand". It will be very interesting to see what T8 sales look line in January.

Much like Mazda (another niche player) the SUV business appears to be where it is at for Volvo.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Like someone said about getting the popcorn to was Volvo's demise, I getting some popcorn to watch Volvo's new fireworks.
Exactly...in this very same forum where just a few years ago the naysayers (most have disappeared today) were trumpeting how Volvo was on its way out and vilifying the huge investment that had just been announced as nothing but a bubble of hot air. :cool:

2016 will be another exciting year for Volvo! And it is, still, only the beginning.

·
Registered
167 Posts
VCUSA's impressive sales numbers just highlights Volvo Canada's poor performance. Volvo Canada only managed to move 94 XC90s in December :facepalm: (BMW sold 422 X5s!)

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Exactly...in this very same forum where just a few years ago the naysayers (most have disappeared today) were trumpeting how Volvo was on its way out and vilifying the huge investment that had just been announced as nothing but a bubble of hot air. :cool:

2016 will be another exciting year for Volvo! And it is, still, only the beginning.
:thumbup:

Does anyone know why Volvo hasn't posted it's worldwide sales yet?

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

Does anyone know why Volvo hasn't posted it's worldwide sales yet?
Not sure. It could be tallying all numbers from all markets and some could have reporting issues/delays.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Congratulations to the Volvo team and Volvo dealers! Having bought my first in 2011, I remember these conversations on Swedespeed every month... And for a couple of years especially, there was a lot of hand-wringing, and some people seemed to take a lot of glee in Volvo's "impending demise". It's great to see that the XC90 is a success and Volvo's strategy is working. 70,000+ sales for 2015 is great!

Regarding the S60... If you add up all of the S60 and V60 variants, it's only about 1000 units less than 2014. My layperson guess is that the V variants are pulling sales from the S. But in general I agree -- for some reason the styling on the S60 has aged more quickly than the XC60. And the S could use a couple more inches rear seat leg room.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Congratulations to the Volvo team and Volvo dealers! Having bought my first in 2011, I remember these conversations on Swedespeed every month... And for a couple of years especially, there was a lot of hand-wringing, and some people seemed to take a lot of glee in Volvo's "impending demise". It's great to see that the XC90 is a success and Volvo's strategy is working. 70,000+ sales for 2015 is great!

And the S could use a couple more inches rear seat leg room.
And the S60 Inscription (which came late in 2015 and will be available at greater numbers in 2016) will help.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts