SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I thought that there already was a DC chapter of VCOA. I did also read that note in Rolling about the new chapter. So what is this: http://volvoclubdc.com/ ??

And the website even says it was last updated just 2 months ago. I've been looking at the page for the past couple of years, though, and I haven't noticed changes.

Anyways, the guy I bought my 242 from used to be part of the DC club, and he used to run the 242 at Summit Point. Actually, I think there is still a picture of him installing struts into the car that I now own, during one of their DIY sessions at a Volvo shop.

I also remember reading several months ago in Rolling that there was a new Boston chapter forming, but I've not heard one more peep about that. Sure, Duncan LaBay is out here, but his crowd is all about the vintage Volvos, and he lives an hour out of Boston. They don't seem to get too excited over anything newer than a 140. And I sure wouldn't dare bring in a Volvo with a V8!

Greg

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's the Washington Volvo Club. Not part of Volvo Club of America. I think they're mostly made up of older people, or at least those interested in the older cars. The yearly fee is $25. I chose VCOA instead for $30 mostly because of the 6 issues of Rolling that come with the yearly membership. That, and the fact that the website has not been significantly updated since I've owned a Volvo. Their Carlisle import show link still lists the date of the 2000 event!

However, if the DC volvo club had a track day, I'd join in a second!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Let me weigh in here since I know something about this. There has never been a VCOA chapter in the DC area because of there already was an independent Volvo club (WVC) and it was always assumed that the area would not support 2 clubs.

Lately the WVC has been losing momentum. Part of it is the increasing age of the members, but not all of the members are old. Also, not all of the members have old cars. Many have FWD and AWD Volvos.

However, I think a big part of it is just the area. People here tend to be busy with jobs that go long hours. It's very hard for me to get to a weekday evening meeting that's 30 mins away.

Not sure how well the VCOA group will go over. WVC has a great relationship with local dealers and they do lots of DIY sessions where members get to use dealer maintenance facilities.

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
The only experience I have with the WVC is meeting some of them (nice guys
) at some of the events. I understand that their web guy is not all that available, and thus the website that's not often updated, but they're more than welcome to post their events in our Events and Gathering forum and I can add them to the calendar also if they like. I'm all for supporting the DC Volvo scene, whichever club it is. A lot of members on our site are in the DC area and it's a heavy Volvo population in general in the Capital area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts