SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Volvo Announces November Sales - U.S. Sales Up 26.8 Percent

ROCKLEIGH,N.J. (Dec. 3, 2012) - Volvo Cars of North America, LLC, (VCNA) reported U.S.sales of 6,141 units, a 26.8 percent increase from November 2011. Year-to-datesales are up 0.1 percent over the first eleven months of 2011"

The top seller for the month was the XC60 crossover with 2,067units sold, an impressive 167.1 percent increase from November 2011. The S60sports sedan finished the month right behind with 1,866 units sold.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
A sales increase for the S80!? Talk about unexpected, but a welcome surprise.

What's the deal with the XC60? Did something happen last November?

Edit: Checked October's numbers and I guess 774 isn't off. I don't know why I thought the XC60 was posting higher numbers than it was last year. That's an incredible jump for that model.

·
Registered
714 Posts
A sales increase for the S80!? Talk about unexpected, but a welcome surprise.

What's the deal with the XC60? Did something happen last November?

Edit: Checked October's numbers and I guess 774 isn't off. I don't know why I thought the XC60 was posting higher numbers than it was last year. That's an incredible jump for that model.
In all fairness, as nice as it is to see the increase, the reason for the big jump in XC60 numbers is that there were nearly none on dealer lots last November. I will say that fresh showroom traffic for both the S60 and XC60 has increased quite a bit recently.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
HEY!!! WTF is up with this community?! Where are all the comments? Last time Volvo posted a sales decrease the thread had dozens of comments THAT same day!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Great!!!

For two reasons...

1. I don't want to be driving a car from a defunct automaker.

2. More people need to find out about these cars! I love mine and have had ZERO problems.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
HEY!!! WTF is up with this community?! Where are all the comments? Last time Volvo posted a sales decrease the thread had dozens of comments THAT same day!!!
I thought people would be jumping for joy all over this thread at news of a good month.

Maybe folks are just busy.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I convinced my mom to buy a new 2010 XC60 , she has had repeated problems with the SRS throwing warning messages and now her Bluetooth system calling the wrong number, speaking a foreign language. When she took delivery the Navigation system would speak in French (I believe) but it was definitely not English. The SRS issue is really scaring her and the reason she bought her Volvo was due to safety (me having 2 totaled in accidents and walking away from both with nothing broken) otherwise she probably would have bought a Lexus RX.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I thought people would be jumping for joy all over this thread at news of a good month.

Maybe folks are just busy.
Nah, it is just that good numbers do not support the doom and gloom theories/theorists.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
This is undoubtedly true, but then a one-month bump up in sales does not support the perennial professional pollyannas either. The real truth of the matter is that Volvo sales are such a small percentage of the total market that any one month's sales do not constitute a statistically valid sample. Year-over-year totals can be somewhat more useful, and those numbers are virtually flat.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
The problem is, they're still not good numbers. Nov's numbers only look extra good because last year's nov was so bad.

To be fair, these numbers are not bad either. It's just more of the same. Volvo's product lineup is treading water but doesn't know how to swim. It's not doom and gloom. But it's not hope either.

It's just like last year when many were all excited about seeing huge increases, completely ignoring the fact that the previous year had had no S60 sales.

And how much of nov's numbers are a carry over from the storm that supposedly "hurt" oct's numbers? Many on this forum like to have it both ways. The argument was made that oct's number were extra bad because of the storm that many people didn't come out in Volvo's home turf to shop at month's end. So shouldn't that mean that nov's numbers are now slightly inflated? That's what I've read for a lot of brands, that the storm inflated their nov #s

I guess one can just look to see how everybody else is doing and then see where Volvo fits in to all that.

http://www.autonews.com/section/ussales

Volvo is flat for the year, while a lot of brands have double digit gains for the year.

I'll say it again, IMO, the true premium luxury market has a serious upcoming battle on their hands. IMO, Volvo is picking the worst possible time to further push themselves into that upper premium luxury market. They're picking the time right when lower tier brands have really stepped up to the plate and are pulling more buyers down. More and more people are moving into lower tier cars because the cars are just tremendously better now. Sure BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc all have growth for the year, on avg 13% let's say, but then look to many of the other brands, VW alone almost sold as many as the previous three combined and VW is up 30%. Toyota sells 3x as many as the luxo 3 combined and they are up 30%. Acura is up 27%. Subaru is up 29%.

I'm sure Volvo is not happy with their 0% for the year, but if I was BMW, I would not be happy with 10% either given how most other are doing. Sure, as a BMW salesperson, buyers are coming in my door, but not as many as should be.

Am I wrong or doesn't it seem like Volvo is now, of all times, wanting to go to bat and essentially fight for a smaller slice of the pie?

And then, what of Safe n Secure being canned? What does next year hold? There goes the best in class maintenance. So now does that tag line go to BMW with their free 4yr/50k plan? Or is BMW going to can theirs too now? Or is an even better SnS coming out in Jan?

IMO, Volvo STILL needs a serious reinventing of themselves. There is still no clear image of what they want to be.

·
Registered
785 Posts
In this competitive arena if you are not growing you are dying. Volvo has never been aggressive about treading into new waters, they were late to SUV market, very late to the convertible market. They have been on again, off again regarding coupes while BMW and Mercedes provide a continuous flow of them year after year. Still no niche higher profit variants (CLS, X6, CC, etc) of existing models. This gave their competitors time to cement themselves as the go to choice for niche products allowing them to become more profitable and more fierce competitors.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
"IMO, Volvo STILL needs a serious reinventing of themselves. There is still no clear image of what they want to be. "

+1. Anybody see the article in Car & Driver? Pretty scary if you are plunking down $30 or $40 K.

Frankly, I can't see how a dealership can stay in business with these numbers.

Nor do I see VCNA doing anything to counter these clippings. Not very responsive marketing.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
I think that a simple acknowledgment - Hang-on, Volvo - would be appropriate...but as people rightfully said - it is too simple...burring a brand is much more entertaining...

Did someone pay attention to the other thread mentioning that Volvo just got the largest Swedish industrial investment ever to re-invent itself? I know, this is not entertaining either...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Congrats Volvo, and I am glad VCNA knows what it is doing. In case you weren't aware, they managed to have a sales increase during a month where everyone increased, however Volvo is doing it with the weakest line up they will have for a LONG time. They are selling excellent cars, however they are bringing new products soon that will blow their current line up out of the water and I can't wait for that. That's why I am not surprised that GV has held back all this time, I'm sure he will be grinning a nice 'Told you so' in the next couple of years.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Volvo is flat for the year, while a lot of brands have double digit gains for the year.
From Volvo's financial report for the first half of 2012 on US sales:

"The market situation was characterized by significant customer incentives to maintain sales volumes at a time when many
consumers were hesitating to invest in new cars. VOLVO CAR GROUP HAS BEEN RESTRICTIVE IN OFFERING INCENTIVES RESULTING IN AN EXPECTED DECLINE IN MARKET SHARE."

Incentives can move cars, and give you a bigger market share, but can significantly reduce profits. Volvo is saying they are not doing incentives like other brands, so the decline in market share was expected.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hang on for a few more years has been the most consistent message, unfortunately. I want Volvo to succeed for my own personal reasons, but waiting a few more years for 4 cyl engines with superchargers and turbochargers is going to have to do for now. I wish someone from Volvo had the balls to admit that not introducing a diesel solution to NA was the wrong choice. All I read about is Audi, BMW, MB, Chrysler, etc introducing diesels. Add to that the influx of electrics on the road in NA from so many brands other than Volvo doesn't help.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I am sure the Sandy storm had a good deal to do with every ones numbers in the NJ/NY area as well. When do you start taking the S40/V70 out of the lineup for reporting stats?
1 year for the new 4 cly engines in XC60 and S60s(at least I think that's the timeline)
2 years for the new XC90(fall of 2014 was the recent announcement) . That will be the revamp that is most needed and you will see sales jump. The question is will they stop production for the XC90 like they did on the S60? I kinda hope they do and throw in another car like a hybrid XC60.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Volvo Announces November Sales - U.S. Sales Up 26.8 Percent

ROCKLEIGH,N.J. (Dec. 3, 2012) - Volvo Cars of North America, LLC, (VCNA) reported U.S.sales of 6,141 units, a 26.8 percent increase from November 2011. Year-to-datesales are up 0.1 percent over the first eleven months of 2011"

The top seller for the month was the XC60 crossover with 2,067units sold, an impressive 167.1 percent increase from November 2011. The S60sports sedan finished the month right behind with 1,866 units sold.

Numbers go up, and everybody's happy!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts