SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered 2002 V70 AWD and found out later that this will not be with the haldex system but with current viscous coupling. Anyways, I could not wait until the 2003 model but can anyone tell me what types of problems people have been experiencing with the VC system.<BR>Is it that bad that people are still buying XC like crazy?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
39,263 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Montreal:<BR><B>Ordered 2002 V70 AWD and found out later that this will not be with the haldex system but with current viscous coupling. Anyways, I could not wait until the 2003 model but can anyone tell me what types of problems people have been experiencing with the VC system.<BR>Is it that bad that people are still buying XC like crazy?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>I would not worry about what bad things you may be hearing/reading. Volvo had some cases with vibration generated by an unbalanced shaft but that was mainly centered on MY1998 and some MY1999 AWDs.<P>The main thing that you must be aware of is that you cannot mix and match different tires (brands, sizes, etc....you should not do that with any car, anyway) and watch it when you replace 1 or 2 tires. All 4 tires must be within a certain limit when it comes to overall tire diameter (I don't remember the exact number off the top of my head). In other words, let's say that you car has 16,000 miles and you blow one tire, don't rush automatically to replace only that tire. You will need to replace at least 2 or perhaps all 4 tires to make sure that the overall tread depth is within the AWD's overall tolerance. And always rotate your tires every 7,500 miles (you should anyway, whether you have an AWD or FWD car).<P>Don't worry, you are buying a great car...just take care of it and be anal when it comes to the maintenance schedule...you 'll be alright! <P>Yannis<P>
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,997 Posts
Agreed, it's a great car. Follow what Yannis said about the tires. That's important.<P>Other than that, it's actually a very good system. The VC (Viscous Coupling) design is used on other cars like the Porsche Carrera 4. It's a pretty well proven system that is fully mechanically actuated.<P>The difference with Haldex is more its programmability. It also responds to slippage faster, but at a level that you'd probably never notice. From a driving perspective, I doubt you'll notice much of a difference at all.<P>Good luck with the car. I think you've made a GREAT choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Isn't there an issue with towing as well? You can't tow it with two wheels on the ground. You need to have a flat bed or is that the Torsen system?<P>Pat
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
39,263 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Iceman:<BR><B>Isn't there an issue with towing as well? You can't tow it with two wheels on the ground. You need to have a flat bed or is that the Torsen system?<P>Pat</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes, you have to tow it either on a flatbed or by having the rear wheels on a dolly. That is the case with ANY AWD system that employs a viscous coupling.<P>Yannis<P><P>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the insight. Do you think it is a problem to upgrade to 17" wheels vs the factory 16"? I like the look and performance of the 17" Volvo wheels. I cannot believe that this should cause any harm to the VC system. <P>I am pretty anal about the maintenance of my cars and tend to rotate the tires quite regularly. <P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:<BR><B> <BR>I would not worry about what bad things you may be hearing/reading. Volvo had some cases with vibration generated by an unbalanced shaft but that was mainly centered on MY1998 and some MY1999 AWDs.<P>The main thing that you must be aware of is that you cannot mix and match different tires (brands, sizes, etc....you should not do that with any car, anyway) and watch it when you replace 1 or 2 tires. All 4 tires must be within a certain limit when it comes to overall tire diameter (I don't remember the exact number off the top of my head). In other words, let's say that you car has 16,000 miles and you blow one tire, don't rush automatically to replace only that tire. You will need to replace at least 2 or perhaps all 4 tires to make sure that the overall tread depth is within the AWD's overall tolerance. And always rotate your tires every 7,500 miles (you should anyway, whether you have an AWD or FWD car).<P>Don't worry, you are buying a great car...just take care of it and be anal when it comes to the maintenance schedule...you 'll be alright! <P>Yannis<BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
39,263 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Montreal:<BR><B>Thanks for the insight. Do you think it is a problem to upgrade to 17" wheels vs the factory 16"? I like the look and performance of the 17" Volvo wheels. I cannot believe that this should cause any harm to the VC system.<P><BR> </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Why should it be a problem? You MUST have 17" wheels! <IMG SRC="http://www.swedespeed.com/ubb/wink.gif"> Seriously, I do think that 17" alloys will make the car look even better. Just stay with the dimensions that Volvo recommends: <B>235/45-17</B>.<P>Yannis<BR><P>
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
322 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:<BR><B> Yes, you have to tow it either on a flatbed or by having the rear wheels on a dolly. That is the case with ANY AWD system that employs a viscous coupling.<P>Yannis<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Subie used to, and not sure if they still do, but you were able to insert a fuse disableing the rear axle allowing you to tow it on a hook. Simple but effective.<P><P>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Definitely go for the 17" wheels. I have a 2002 S60 AWD with the 17" Thor wheels and it looks great. The V70 looks great with the Amalthea. The one good thing about Haldex is that you don't have to worry about the towing aspect since it disengages when the engine is off.<P>Pat
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top