SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Preparing for a slave cylinder job and obviously taking a look at the rest of the components while i'm in there, while reseraching i've found two different OEM DMF part numbers.

Does anyone know the actual difference between these two? I've got access to both naked blocks, from both engine groups - and i can't catch any variations on the block side and have successfully mounted the "older" DMF onto a later production block.

04-07 B5254T4 Serial Numbers -3735358
Flywheel OEM 31259329 / LUK DMF146
Clutch OEM 30783258 / LUK 22035

04-07 B5254T4 Serial Numbers 3735359+
Flywheel OEM 31259438 / LUK DMF147
Clutch OEM 30783257 / 31367642 / LUK 624325419

My educated guess is going to be they upgraded the clutch unit in 06, with a revised flywheel (which wasn't just a part number change, there is a price difference as well) - to remove confusion each proper clutch/flywheel unit should always be paired with one another. Maybe there isn't necessarily any difference on the engine side itself, the serial numbers are just a way to identify when the transition was made on the production end. Hence, each flywheel should only be paired with its appropriate clutch, but could the entire unit (flywheel, clutch) together be swapped between the two segments of engine serial numbers? Would love to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm 99% sure the spec flywheels fit 04-07's even though Their website says the contrary (someone please confirm). Given that, the bolt pattern and mounting dowels are the same on the pressure plate. I would assume the only difference would be friction area (newer model has slightly more surface area) and the input shaft/ friction plate splines are different (that I know for a fact). I also know the slave cylinders are different in how they bolt to the trans. They could also be a different diameter for the pressure plate, but I doubt that.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I have heard stories of the diameter of the flywheel being larger. One friend said he installed a dmf out if one car into the other and it was hitting the crank sensor and blowing pieces of metal out of the weep hole.

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

1 - 4 of 4 Posts