SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2007 S60 T5M, 2014 S60 T5 AWD Platinum
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TLDR; My uncles need to stop letting me buy cars with their Copart and IAA accounts.

Been on here a while and haven't made a post about my cars so I figured I might as well. My mother's two brothers have operated a salvage yard specializing in Volvo since before I was born, so everyone in my family just drove Volvos. I'll admit, I was dreading the fact that my first car would be a Volvo. All my older siblings got NA 850s and they just seemed boring to me at the time. Right before I got my license my uncles had me come up to ask me a few questions about what kind of car I wanted. Apparently I hadn't been paying too much attention up until then because it was the first time I had been aware of the P2 S60. I immediately fell in love with the car, reading every bit of literature I could find on them. They ended up fixing a 2002 S60 NA for me, which honestly was about the best car anyone could ask for. Had the thing for 7 years and 100k and I barely had to put any money into it. I started working for them between my junior and senior year of high school, which has allowed me to learn a lot about these cars. In 2014 I picked up a automatic 2005 S60R that belonged to a friend of my uncles that was in dire need of some TLC. Spent the next couple months fixing that car and have enjoyed it since despite being a money pit. 2017 rolled around and my uncles had bought a wrecked 2009 S60 AWD that was optioned pretty well and with my 2002 NA getting up there in miles I decided to fix the 2009 to replace it. After fixing the body damage I found myself chasing AWD issues on that car for nearly a year, but after figuring that out it's been smooth sailing. Now in 2019 we get to the M66 T5s.

2005 S60 T5M:
Bought this car in January at Copart despite it not being optioned exactly as I wanted, figuring I'd never see another one and that it went along with my usual buying a car cheap and fixing it up.

Mileage wasn't too bad at 125k and several parts had been replaced in the recent past. Had to wait until April for a turn on the frame rack to straighten out the front end. Got to a point where I could start putting things back together and put a Do88 intercooler in there since it was easy. It's at a point where all it needs now is a front bumper and some misc bits and pieces.

It came from Portland and had an R front bumper on it if anyone happens to know the previous owner, I'd like to ask them some questions.

I temporarily shelved the repairs on that car due to some more interesting cars coming up at auction.

2005 V70 T5M:
I had always been told that 2005 V70 T5s were automatic only in the US, so when I saw this car with a manual shifter at IAA I had just assumed someone M56 swapped it. Car shows up and I see it has a 6 speed shift pattern on the knob, so I contacted both of my local dealers and they confirmed it was a factory M66. Dug around the inside the car some and found OSD documents stating the car was picked up the first week of 2005. Haven't had a chance to look into its needs too much, but it definitely needs a radiator, condenser, intercooler, and cooling fan. I'll hopefully get to this one soon, but the next car has taken most of my attention.

2007 S60 T5M:
This one popped up at the Milwaukee Copart and had all the things I wanted the first S60 didn't(ABLs, watch dial gauges, sport steering wheel, HU-850) plus it had no visible body damage and a clean title. Thankfully won it for a fair bit less than I was willing to go, but found a number of things it needed when it showed up. The front suspension was pretty much destroyed, there were visible cracks in the timing belt, the parking brake is non-existent, the PCV was in dire need of replacement, one headlight didn't work and both were heavily yellowed. I've fixed everything but the parking brake and have been enjoying the car a lot.

In the next few months I hope to tackle the following...

2007 S60 T5:
Parking brake
Heavily clouded rear view mirror
Refinish and mount a set of Propus I've been hanging on to
Fix the couple small cosmetic issues

2005 V70 T5:
Replace the damaged cooling
Replace the rusting left rear door and get a body shop to take care of the rust on the dog leg
Get rid of the Pegs, possibly replace with the chrome wheels on the 2007

2005 S60 T5:
Finish the repairs and hopefully sell the car to one of a few friends who have been bugging me about selling it.

2009 S60 AWD & 2005 S60R:
Keep them running

·
Registered
197 Posts
So jealous. It's next to impossible to find any later year T5's in Canada. Really nice collection you got.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I had been keeping an eye out for one since about 2016, but the few I found were when finances didn't allow or until someone was already in the process of buying it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Where are you in the US? Maybe you'd sell one of them to a Canadian up north some day

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Minnesota, near Minneapolis. I've already promised the wagon to a friend should I ever sell it, but the silver S60 will probably be finished and up for sale at some point.

·
Registered
17,449 Posts
Nice! Keep that wagon. Seems like a super rare one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 S60 T5 M66 with 4c
857 Posts
congrats! P2 M66 T5s are quite rare and good to see someone saving them from the abyss!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
congrats! P2 M66 T5s are quite rare and good to see someone saving them from the abyss!
Oh trust me, I am well aware of the numbers that made into the US. I will admit there was more than one occasion I was tempted to send the silver one back to the abyss during its time on the frame rack. Found evidence of poor repairs from a previous accident, but spent the extra time to make it right.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I have 2005 V70 T5 M66. had to get mine out Canada which I have only seen 3 on this side on the planet and none in the US. First time I have heard of 2005+ V70 T5 of any kind in the US. Does your V70 T5 have the 4C suspension on it?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have 2005 V70 T5 M66. had to get mine out Canada which I have only seen 3 on this side on the planet and none in the US. First time I have heard of 2005+ V70 T5 of any kind in the US. Does your V70 T5 have the 4C suspension on it?
The only options on the V70 is the climate package and third row seat. It doesn't even have leather or a sunroof.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The only options on the V70 is the climate package and third row seat. It doesn't even have leather or a sunroof.
I wonder what the history to your V70 T5 is? Mine came with 4C, auto CC, power folding mirrors, moon roof, and that big arse subwoofer in the back. I wish that it did not have the 4C. This is the only non-P2 R that I have ever seen to have 4C. Congrats on you M66 P2 vehicles.

·
Registered
2005 S60 T5 M66 with 4c
857 Posts
I wonder what the history to your V70 T5 is? Mine came with 4C, auto CC, power folding mirrors, moon roof, and that big arse subwoofer in the back. I wish that it did not have the 4C. This is the only non-P2 R that I have ever seen to have 4C. Congrats on you M66 P2 vehicles.
There have been a handful of non-R 4C P2 cars that have floated past SS over the past 10ish years. Honestly I would agree with you that I wish mine didn't have it.

Keep these things alive VargR!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts