SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Vanilla's reborn, Re adjusted the KW height and find a sweet spot to eliminate vibration due to lowering.
Took me the whole day to find the height that does not vibrate.
Also Plasti Dip 1 rim Driver Side Front to Red.

Throw in a GoPro2 motorstort to see if rubbing continues.
Rolled rear fenders
Next: New axles and Pull Front Fender.

Front Camber is slight out of spec, anyone knows why?
Front Left Camber is 1.2, but right is -1.9 (Spec is -1.6 to -.02) Got new Michellin Super Sport, will it damage the tires?

Video check for Rubbing in front (none at all)

And here is my story

[video]
[/video]

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Not bad videos . . . I would have made the second one a little shorter with less transition of the same photographs . . . You should have taken a bunch of car details and MORE about the rims!!!
That said thumbs-up for doing it!

We need more pics of your RED plasti-dip!

It's normal you front camber is out of spec and unequal. I'm not saying it's great but thse car don't seem to have a great front camber balancing to start with! The fact that you can't adjust it really does not help. . . Once you lower you get what you get. Not much you can do there :(

You're going to love those tires once you can go free a little ;)

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Front Camber is slight out of spec, anyone knows why?
Front Left Camber is 1.2, but right is -1.9 (Spec is -1.6 to -.02) Got new Michellin Super Sport, will it damage the tires?
It'll just wear faster on one side - if they are asymetric, just swap them regularly.
Or, go to an excellent alignment shop that can fix it.

Who did your rim repair? (I have a bent lip I'd like to get fixed.)

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
It'll just wear faster on one side - if they are asymetric, just swap them regularly.
Or, go to an excellent alignment shop that can fix it.

Front camber isn't adjustable on the P1.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Front camber isn't adjustable on the P1.
He probably means someone who can modify the hardware. It can be done but it's pricey and not free of risks.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Sure, but it isn't the professional way :D

@ TS

Nice wheels! Did you do a proper rub test by putting the front left and rear right wheel on say a brick or so and see if you can get say a cardboard stripe between rubber and arch?

As my 19"s were checked by my local Dekra (Dekra is a different version of the German "TÜV") station, they "cross lifted" to see if it would rub anywhere (rubbing doesn't occur in every day driving, basically only in really fast tight curves or in emergency situations). I'd recommend you to do that, if you haven't, as it really does look as if it could rub...

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Lol, I always thought custom was the professional way ! :)

@ TS

Nice wheels! Did you do a proper rub test by putting the front left and rear right wheel on say a brick or so and see if you can get say a cardboard stripe between rubber and arch?

As my 19"s were checked by my local Dekra (Dekra is a different version of the German "TÜV") station, they "cross lifted" to see if it would rub anywhere (rubbing doesn't occur in every day driving, basically only in really fast tight curves or in emergency situations). I'd recommend you to do that, if you haven't, as it really does look as if it could rub...
I was not aware of that Technic. That's cool! ... I should try it just to see where I am.

Rubbing:
I think people often have a different opinion about what it means. There are those more concerned by continuous rubbing while others more about temporary situation.
It also all depends where you live too I think... I can tell you here in western Pennsylvania it's a war field... pot holes, cobble stones, cracks and ridges on the pavement, you name it... all in combination of turns and sudden grade change of a hill, so temporary rubbing can happen on everyday driving again depending on where you live.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Lol, I always thought custom was the professional way ! :)
Custom is always good! But not when it comes to safety relevant parts - but that is my humble opinion :)

I was not aware of that Technic. That's cool! ... I should try it just to see where I am.

Rubbing:
I think people often have a different opinion about what it means. Those are more concerned by continuous rubbing while others more about temporary situation.
It also all depends where you live too I think... I can tell you here in western Pennsylvania it's a war field... pot holes, cobble stones, cracks and ridges on the pavement, you name it... all in combination of turns and sudden grade change of a hill, so temporary rubbing can happen on everyday driving again depending on where you live.
Sure, rubbing can happen in every day driving. I put it a little stupid. Most common rubbing is, like said, in a fast curve, as the weight of the vehicle is shifted to one side putting more load on that side etc. etc. etc. ;) In General it can happen going up a curb. It can happen anywhere. But it shouldn't :) And driving around on a solid surface (the videos above show a great road quality) which is near to flat, won't cause any rubbing :D

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Union Rim Repair in Caledon street (near yorkdale Mall)
Shop from outside looks crap, but their equipment is high end. great service and the price is low compared to others here in Toronto and york region.

highly recommended. my rims has a guarantee for straightness for 1 year and crack at the same spot as long as you own the rims. awsome.

Also, Daim is correct in going to uneven pavement to check for rubbing. i did those as well, but not in the video. my Indie (speedstar in markham) has wooden runners in different heights to check for rubbing. their awsome too.

Since there is no more Front Lip for our cars, i was planning to get one from the dealer OEM's. they cost 450 for just the front OEM spoiler and 750$ installed and painted. im still thinkng because the price is steep, but i dont have other chioces. what do you think?

Buy an OEM front lip and modify the lip and add the garage door rubber thing?

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Ask Alfred where he got his body kit painted, he got a really good cash deal. I think his shop was close to the IKEA in Etobicoke.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

·
Registered
6,415 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
BTW how is it holding up? dirty yet? hard/easy to clean?
It's easy to clean, given my hands and arms fit the spokes to get in. i use a specialty brush that i bought from ezshine.com. just spray rim cleaner, then brush. there is no chipping on the color. the tip to paint is, spray the edges more to make it thick. sometimes i use a power wash. trust me, its not that difficult. the yellows i had originally was beaten hardly with brush, degreaser, power spray and the paint stayed. they are durable for abuse.

I do have hawks and they release less dust, so it gets a bit dirty for a week use. i clean my car once a week and easy to clean.

the tool in action

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Neat brush!!!!

I'm not a big fan of brunches (scraping the paint of time since they never get fully clean from brake dust) but for the back side it's perfect!

It's easy to clean, given my hands and arms fit the spokes to get in. i use a specialty brush that i bought from ezshine.com. just spray rim cleaner, then brush. there is no chipping on the color. the tip to paint is, spray the edges more to make it thick. sometimes i use a power wash. trust me, its not that difficult. the yellows i had originally was beaten hardly with brush, degreaser, power spray and the paint stayed. they are durable for abuse.

I do have hawks and they release less dust, so it gets a bit dirty for a week use. i clean my car once a week and easy to clean.

the tool in action

1 - 17 of 17 Posts