SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while waiting for KW's V1 another week delayed, was bored and did 1 rim only. need to get your thoughts before i continue the rest of them.

Rice?
A lot of Rice?
fried rice?
Nice?
Very Nice?
Excellent?

Remove?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I personally don't like the yellow... it doesn't go with anything. If you had a BBK in yellow then maybe, but IMO red would look better (match tailights) or get rid of it.

In the end its your ride, as long as you like it its all good!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Give ya an "A" for effort, but that will turn black in no time...

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I like it, but you'll be removing those wheels to clean that all the time.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Just great! I think it looks really nice . . . thought I do agree that you're going to have to pull some other trick to bring a good color scheme with the rest of the car to really make use of the idea or it's going to be a little out of place...

I also must agree with the concerns of getting black . . . I think the plasti-dip is actually a bad choice there. Reason is that if the coating is somewhat porous you're going to have a hell of a hard time cleaning the wheels without damaging the coating . . . And it gets worse if you have OEM rear brake pads.

Overall I wouldn't give up though. I for instance personally think this is great stuff and I love the idea! But I would pull through all the way (real paint job + rear brake pad upgrade + some dedication to get the wheels off frequently enough for cleaning)

edit:
Actually you could do the plasti deep just to see if you can keep-up with it. If you do then go paint and clear coat!

·
Super Moderator
15,183 Posts
I'm not a fan of the yellow either. I like the idea, but as others have said, it'll be black in no time. Especially since it's plasti-dip, that stuff attracts dust like there's no tomorrow.

I vote remove the yellow, but maybe try with a different color or go with something with a glossy smooth finish.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Yellow isn't too bad, but yeah, I'd try red. You have a nice black car. Red goes with black like white on rice. Btw, I didn't know you could put 19's on an S40. Looks nice! :D

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Ya know what, I like it quite a bit. Never played with plastidip yet, wondering of you could wax over it to keep the dust down a lite and make the cleaning that much easier.

10pnts for the idea for sure.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Painted surfaces tend to clean up a lot easier than bare metal. My painted calipers just wipe clean with a rag, so it may not be that hard to keep them clean. I've never seen the inside wheel painted before, but I like the idea

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Love the rims, but could do without the yellow, that is of course unless you're looking for super unique (like my red Hellas)! Lol!

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't make too comments on here but... I really like the idea and the color. You need to be kinda bold down there for it to be noticed. It is a subtle mod that most people would not notice. I do agree it should be tied in with other yellow accents. BBK, moose, badges etc. Keep working the idea, I want to see more!

I am interested to see how the colored PD holds up to the brake dust.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
great idea! but i have to agree with everyone else. doesnt match.

god i love those rims. i wish they came in 18's

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
great idea! but i have to agree with everyone else. doesnt match.

god i love those rims. i wish they came in 18's

This weekend, i am replacing the yellow to Red-plasti dip. i will repost pix in this post.
My review: the yellow up to date without washing (1 week) seeems to be a little brake dust (i have hawks). i wipe them down with my wify old shirt, its good as new again. it was not hard at all to take the dust out as i thought originally. so i bought 4 cans of Red and ready to go this weekend.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
leave it yellow. looks great.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^^ Where are you buying it? I've only been able to find black and the local hardware stores.
ee

got mine via kijiji, there are a lot of dealers on there. OR Home Depot via online (they dont sell them in stores anymore).
Got mine at 15$ regular price is 22$ in canada. yes it's spray can. you can also get the concentrated one and but a sprayer for 80$ (home depot)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts