SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Is anyone else running this in their transmission?

Def not me lol I use only Mobil 3309 myself. Be my guest to use it tho :D

Also noticed this in the product specs

Volvo passenger car applications and STD 1273.41

I don't want my Volvo having any STDs :D

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Def not me lol I use only Mobil 3309 myself. Be my guest to use it tho :D

Also noticed this in the product specs

Volvo passenger car applications and STD 1273.41

I don't want my Volvo having any STDs :D
lol..

Actually I brought this topic up because my tranny kept shifting hard since I bought the car. Ive done 2 full flushes with the 3309/toyota fluid and one drain and fill mid last year... I was still getting a kick 1st to 2nd gear... and once in a while hard downshift.. Well late last year I said F it... I flushed my transmission with fluid with this stuff.. and threw in some Lucas Oil ATF Conditioner. My transmission didnt kick anymore. Well it's been about 10k miles and my transmission is still shifting very smooth. I just wanted to see if anyone else tried this fluid and what result they got... Not sure if it was the fluid alone or the conditioner... so far im happy with the results.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
lol..

Actually I brought this topic up because my tranny kept shifting hard since I bought the car. Ive done 2 full flushes with the 3309/toyota fluid and one drain and fill mid last year... I was still getting a kick 1st to 2nd gear... and once in a while hard downshift.. Well late last year I said F it... I flushed my transmission with fluid with this stuff.. and threw in some Lucas Oil ATF Conditioner. My transmission didnt kick anymore. Well it's been about 10k miles and my transmission is still shifting very smooth. I just wanted to see if anyone else tried this fluid and what result they got... Not sure if it was the fluid alone or the conditioner... so far im happy with the results.
Have you seen about a transmission software update?

I would try SeaFoam TransTune instead of Lucas next time you flush/fill/whatever. Also try Castrol Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle ATF which says its Toyota Type IV compatible also. I guess anything that says it's Toyota Type IV is ok to use, altho I'm no expert. I know the 3309 is not a Synthetic fluid

Sorry Mis-read your post, that's what I get for having a lunch beer (or 5) :D Since I've also been thinking about flushing the fluid I'll look into this fluid myself. Thanks

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you seen about a transmission software update?

I would try SeaFoam TransTune instead of Lucas next time you flush/fill/whatever. Also try Castrol Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle ATF which says its Toyota Type IV compatible also. I guess anything that says it's Toyota Type IV is ok to use, altho I'm no expert. I know the 3309 is not a Synthetic fluid

Sorry Mis-read your post, that's what I get for having a lunch beer (or 5) :D Since I've also been thinking about flushing the fluid I'll look into this fluid myself. Thanks
My car was at volvo for 3 weeks recently. I asked if there were any software updates on my car. I was told there wasn't. It might be a long time before I do another flush since this fluid is working so well.. I don't drive me R lightly... and so far this cheap fluid has held up well.. Ill see if its doing this well in another 10k.. That will be a good test IMO. I just had to find a better alternative for the toyota fluid. When I first used to get it it was 4.50 per quart a few years ago.. Now its like 9 bucks.. and I bought each gallon of the Maxlife for 16 bucks.

lunch beer ftw.

·
Registered
796 Posts
gotta buy your fluids online.. i bought 2 cases of toyota t-iv fluid for $130 shipped.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I use Valvoline, but their 3309 spec fluid. No issues with it.

There are (to my understanding) 3 or 4 things that play into which transmission fluid you want to use. Heat capability. Viscosity. Lubrication properties. Additives Package. If you use a fluid that is designed to run cooler, and put it in a high heat application, it will die quickly. This is part of what happened with Subaru and their automatics in the 90s. (and part of what drove the 3309 spec, imho) Viscosity plays a role in shifting. As I understand it, you put something in that is different, you may either slip a lot more (because it can't push the clutches correctly) or it will lock up tighter (because the trans can get more push out of the fluid) This is like dumping Dexron in old Fords made for F type (or was it the other way around??? too many years have gone by) One way you would shift much harder, the other it would slip like crazy. Pretty sure it was F type into Dexron that made them shift harder (Trick Shift, anyone?) Lubrication comes into play because if it doesn't lube properly, the metal parts eat each other up. Finally, the Additives pack, which includes detergents, friction modifiers, etc etc to make the stuff work better and last longer.

Personally, great that you experiment and found something that works for you... I wouldn't do it myself without seeing more evidence. No slight, just paranoid about breaking a transmission.

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use Valvoline, but their 3309 spec fluid. No issues with it.

There are (to my understanding) 3 or 4 things that play into which transmission fluid you want to use. Heat capability. Viscosity. Lubrication properties. Additives Package. If you use a fluid that is designed to run cooler, and put it in a high heat application, it will die quickly. This is part of what happened with Subaru and their automatics in the 90s. (and part of what drove the 3309 spec, imho) Viscosity plays a role in shifting. As I understand it, you put something in that is different, you may either slip a lot more (because it can't push the clutches correctly) or it will lock up tighter (because the trans can get more push out of the fluid) This is like dumping Dexron in old Fords made for F type (or was it the other way around??? too many years have gone by) One way you would shift much harder, the other it would slip like crazy. Pretty sure it was F type into Dexron that made them shift harder (Trick Shift, anyone?) Lubrication comes into play because if it doesn't lube properly, the metal parts eat each other up. Finally, the Additives pack, which includes detergents, friction modifiers, etc etc to make the stuff work better and last longer.

Personally, great that you experiment and found something that works for you... I wouldn't do it myself without seeing more evidence. No slight, just paranoid about breaking a transmission.
I was really hesitant at first.. but with my rough up and down shifts I was concerned that my tranny was on its way out or something.. I had to try something.. and luckily this one, IMO has worked for me so far. And I will continue to monitor and and update you all... so far the fluid looked good when I checked the dipstick last weekend.:thumbup:

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had really good luck with Amsoil ATF, and the best part is if you flush your transmission with their fluid and it is determined that their fluid damaged your transmission they will pay for the repairs. Granted, I have not had a problem with my tranny but my car seems to shift smoother and pull harder. I have the six speed automatic for reference.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bumping this thread... I used this just recently and it smoothed out a 2nd to 3rd slip shift (would rev high then bump into 3rd gear.) Previously I used Toyota Type IV and the slip never went away - used this and it's all good. I'll see how it holds up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So seangh, you're thinking this is better than the t-iv? I just ordered 12 qts of the t-iv but I'd like to know how this oil works out for you so next time I can get it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
So seangh, you're thinking this is better than the t-iv? I just ordered 12 qts of the t-iv but I'd like to know how this oil works out for you so next time I can get it.
Too early to tell, but I will report back in a few more (thousand) miles. I'm optimistic but was very hesitant given all that I have read over the years, but Valvoline says its a replacement fluid so... Plus, since the trans has 138K on it now, I'm on a fairly regular drain and fill schedule (every 15K) so I'm not worried about fluid break down.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah let us know what you think. I'm at 100k and will be doing a drain/refill every 15k or so too. My goal is longevity so I had been wondering about high-mileage formulations like this one

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
lol..

I have exact same issue 1-2 gear, especially on downshift. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Valvoline does NOT say it is.
They have another Maxlife which is 3309 compliant which is now recommended by Volvo

·
Registered
861 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
used this stuff today. results were very good. also used some seafoam trans tune before and after. not quite sure if it fixed my upshifts completely but its definitely fixed all the hard down shifting! I would highly recommend this to others.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts