SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

The head is coming off of my V50 T5 as a couple of exhaust studs broke off flush with the head. Attempts to drill them out or weld to them failed.

I'm planning on replacing all gaskets and seals, but wasn't sure about the valve stem seals. Should I do that as a "while I'm in there", keeping in mind that the head may have never came off the car if this hadn't happened? It will add a reasonable expense to the process.

Car has 200,000 kms on it (124,000 miles). Seems like it was well taken care of with the exception of harsh Quebec winters taking its toll and a few minor blunders from indy mechanics. Ran well around the parking lot, but haven't had it out on the road as it isn't registered yet.

I will have the head resurfaced as a precautionary measure while it is at the machine shop to have the studs removed.

Any other things I should consider doing?

Also, can the valve cover be removed without the hold down tool? I will have it in time for reassembly.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
I wouldn't touch anything that doesn't need touching. And I wouldn't plane the head unless it measured out of tolerance.

MHO.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Also, can the valve cover be removed without the hold down tool? I will have it in time for reassembly.

Thanks!
I would advise against doing that; unless you want to potentially warp the cover. There are so many screws, that should be removed in a certain order to prevent issues and ensure a good seal.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would advise against doing that; unless you want to potentially warp the cover. There are so many screws, that should be removed in a certain order to prevent issues and ensure a good seal.
I was planning on working outside in, similar to the pattern in which the head bolts are undone/done, just one turn at a time to prevent warping. I'll just wait for the tool to be safe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts