SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have one valve lifter that makes a bit of a ticking noise that is louder than the rest. I notice it while driving, not at idle. I'm quite sure all clearances are correct, and have rechecked them.

Two questions:

Is there a way to isolate which one is the loud one? (and then what do I do?)

Should I care about this; can some simply make a bit louder of a tick than others?

Did a valve job about a year ago, and all was in order.

Curious.....

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
"...while driving, not at idle..."

That is weird - can you hear the ticking at about 3,000 rpm in the garage with the hood up and using your hand to do the throttle?

George Dill

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will try.....

I know what a rod knock sounds like, and it's not a rod knock or wrist pin noise. Will try tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
On my 68 B20, I have the aluminum-on-steel timing gear. That is a bit more noisy (or a lot more) than the stock fibre gear, and even more audible in certain speed ranges. And it does sound a bit as if one or two valves make all the noise. At idle, its more or less quiet. May be your car has the same metal timing gear (?).

If the clearances are correct, there should be no reason why any one would be more noisy than the others though...

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
I seem to have one valve lifter that makes a bit of a ticking noise that is louder than the rest. I notice it while driving, not at idle. I'm quite sure all clearances are correct, and have rechecked them.

Two questions:

Is there a way to isolate which one is the loud one? (and then what do I do?)

Should I care about this; can some simply make a bit louder of a tick than others?

Did a valve job about a year ago, and all was in order.

Curious.....
Scroll on this...

http://www.sw-em.com/service notes.htm

...for hints on valve adjustment and this...

http://www.vclassics.com/archive/vadjtip.htm

...for how-to.

George Dill

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Using the narrow gauges, found a few valves a bit too loose. Going for a ride now to see what I find.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used the Phil Singher method described in the thread you sent.

I set them all at .016 warm.

All is better now.

Thanks for the tips, George. Hope all is well down in the hill country.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
I used the Phil Singher method described in the thread you sent.

I set them all at .016 warm.

All is better now.

Thanks for the tips, George. Hope all is well down in the hill country.
The B20 in your ES prefers a bit looser valve clearance than the .016 warm BUT don't bother going to .020 unless you plan on extended high rpm operation or heavy loads.

Living on the hot-n-muggy side of the Texas Hill Country calls for a week at a private cabin with fishing lake in NW Arkansas this early October.

George Dill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts