SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, looking for a new valve cover. Not the plastic, but the aluminum cover. Tasca only lists it with the entire head, and I'm guessing other wholesale websites are the same. Is it not possible to buy ONLY the cover, and not the whole head?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You talked wirh your local Volvo dealer?

Anyways, its probably not a cheap venture. How about junkyards, or someone parting out? Cant be that hard fizd a cover.
Don't want to end up with one that has awful bearings. That's why I'm looking for a new one.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've always been told that the cam covers are mated to the head. If you use a new cover on an old head, the "bearings" won't match up. As the head will be more worn out than the cam cover will be.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
There are no bearings in the head. I'm not real sure why people say that should be matched? It's all about oil ports and the cam seals. The cam spins around in the slot of the cam cover and the oil that is pumped up there keeps the cam from binding. The cam seals stops the oil from coming out. Just get a matching cover from a junk yard. Wait... why would you want a new one anyway?

They come very clean.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
What he meant was that the cam journals are line bored at the factory with the cover in place, meaning that there is a chance of a small discrepancy between covers. While it likely won't be an issue, there is a small chance that the journals don't match and the cams could bind up.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
So, when people take NA cams and install them in their T5's, do they run into that problem?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
No

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
NA cams into a T5 is fine because the cam cover isn't being replaced with the cam. It's still matched to the head. Swapping cam covers is one of those things you're not "supposed" to do, but I'm sure there have been ones that have been successful in completing the job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts