SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently came across this leak in my engine of my 1996 Volvo 960.
I'm assuming it's the valve cover gasket getting old. But can't find a replacement anywhere.
All I find is some gasket maker but no rubber seal like other Volvo's have.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
There is no gasket, it's an anaerobic sealant. I would go with the Volvo stuff.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the sealant crap going to be under the valve cover and on the engine block? And how easy is it to scrape off?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Gasket remover and/or razor blade.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Be careful removing the cover, if it comes up too much on one side, it can break the cam journals. The cams will want to pop up from the valve spring pressure.

The covers are mated to the head since they are line bored at the factory.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How can I remove the fuel line that goes into the engine without making a mess so I can get access to the vavle cover?

·
Registered
32 Posts
That tube on the top is not a fuel line, It's part of the emission control system.

Having done this procedure several times myself, I'd recommend leaving it alone unless you have the proper tools. You'll need a cam alignment tool, and a pair of valve cover presses. A small seep like that is not worth the potential damage you may cause to the cover, and the cam bearing surfaces.

With the proper tooling it will likely be a 4 hour job, 1.5 hours just cleaning.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Most times the oil leak is actually the oil filler cap gasket slowly seeping oil. Replace it and clean up the oil. It may not return.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts