SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do our cars need regular valve adjustments? I've poured through all the stickied maintenance threads (that I could find), and didn't see anything. I remember my in-laws' old 970 needed valve adjusting done w/ about every tune-up.

I have a solid lifter cam in my Plymouth, and go over those about every other oil change. Are our cars adjusted the same way? Never did it on a variable valve timing engine before.

Thanks!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Typically solid lifter cams require setting vale lash regularly. Hydraulic lifters don't.. because the built-in plunger takes up the slack as the oil pumps through the lifter body. The lifters themselves don't get adjusted. There is no adjustment in solid-mechanical or hydraulic lifters. It's the clearance between the valve & rocker tip (or cam lobes if there are no rocker arms) that gets adjusted with use. I guess it's better to call it rocker-arm adjustment, but they call valve adjustment instead.

So, do these cars get adjusted?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
A little more sophisticated than your Plymouth: hydraulically actuated, continuously variable valves - both intake and exhaust. That is, the engine computer adjusts the valve lift and timing for you. If it doesn't meet the expected range, you'll get an error code, but it's usually related to some malfunctioning solenoid in the hydraulic system.

·
Registered
122 Posts
A little more sophisticated than your Plymouth: hydraulically actuated, continuously variable valves - both intake and exhaust. That is, the engine computer adjusts the valve lift and timing for you. If it doesn't meet the expected range, you'll get an error code, but it's usually related to some malfunctioning solenoid in the hydraulic system.
definately more advanced then the plymouth, but the Volvo system isnt as advanced as you describe.

The tappets are solid and there is not adjustment available unless you wish to dismantle the head, and purchase new tappets of a different size (I believe 8 sizes are available from Volvo) there are no adjustment "pucks" like old Volvos, and there is no adjustment nut like in the old days. Plus you'd never be able to adjust it as you'd have to "crack" the two halves of the head- the upper portion holds the cams in place and they'd pop out as soon as the upper portion was loose making asjustment posible. Remember there is no "rocker" cover. The head is two pieces with the cam bearing integrated into both halves.

The computer does not adjust valve lift. That is done mechanically via the camshaft. (the new Volvo SI6 engine can do this by utilising two cam lobes per valve and shifting the "profile") The computer can adjust valve timing on intake and exhaust by advancing or retarding the cams position in relation to the t-belt via an electronically controlled hydraulic solenoid. It can change the profile, only the "dwell"

·
Registered
773 Posts
Volvo went from hydraulic lifters to solid lifters around 1999. The process of setting the valve clearance on these engines means taking the top of the head off, and using a special Volvo tool to measure the needed clearance between the cam and the bucket that actuates the valve. I've got over 225,000 miles on my '01 S60, and never once have the valves been adjusted. Know two dealer mechanics, and I don't they they've ever adjusted valves except when the head had been taken off and replaced. Simply put, don't worry about adjusting the valves on these engines unless you tear it down.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Volvo went from hydraulic lifters to solid lifters around 1999. The process of setting the valve clearance on these engines means taking the top of the head off, and using a special Volvo tool to measure the needed clearance between the cam and the bucket that actuates the valve. I've got over 225,000 miles on my '01 S60, and never once have the valves been adjusted. Know two dealer mechanics, and I don't they they've ever adjusted valves except when the head had been taken off and replaced. Simply put, don't worry about adjusting the valves on these engines unless you tear it down.
+1. Exactly what i was getting at...

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK.. thanks! I am getting ready to do the timing belt.. and thought I'd check to see if had to do any valve adjustments. Glad I don't! LOL

·
Registered
588 Posts
My E46 M3 required them ever 15K to 30K miles... But no, the S60R does not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts