SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Value of First Edition with 5,000 miles

4K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  Okie 
#1 ·
My wife and I have been seriously considering a new XC90 and have been talking to a few dealers. One of them let us know they're about to get a used First Edition with about 5,000 miles. Reportedly, no problems whatsoever with the car (the current owner is going through "family restructuring.")

What price sounds right to you all?

I haven't found any used sales information for 2016 XC90s so I feel unsure about what is fair.

Once I get some reactions I'll tell you all what the dealer is asking.

#2 ·
My wife and I have been seriously considering a new XC90 and have been talking to a few dealers. One of them let us know they're about to get a used First Edition with about 5,000 miles. Reportedly, no problems whatsoever with the car (the current owner is going through "family restructuring.")

I haven't found any used sales information for 2016 XC90s so I feel unsure about what is fair.

I don't know the right price and how they assess a car especially an XC90 First Edition but I can tell you this, I had a Momentum with Vision Package, etc and 5,000miles on it. They priced it at around $46,000 when we traded it in. Given that price for a Momentum with ala-carte options and with almost similar mileage, I'd say a pre-owned First Edition will definitely be in the upwards of more than $50,000. That's just my fairly low priced opinion though.

Please let us know how much they are selling it for, I'm pretty sure a lot of people wanted to know.

#3 ·
Please let us know how much they are selling it for, I'm pretty sure a lot of people wanted to know.
I'd be interested, too. I almost purchased a First Edition with the thought that I'd trade it in when the T8 PHEV came out. (I also don't like black - which was the compelling reason why I didn't go with the FE.) Given the uniqueness of the vehicle (1,927 numbered cars) you may find that there's interest - and maybe it maintains a higher value because of that.

I took a quick look around - you're right - there's not a lot of these listed for sale. Here's one page that has a few:
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2016-Volvo-XC90-T6-First-Edition-t59240

MSRP was $66,625 and suggests the average sale price is $65,932. One of the three dealers has the price at the MSRP - I guess all three of these are new?!?! Billings Montana and two in Rochester NY (the NY listings show two different VIN numbers). Used with 5,000 miles - low to mid 50's?

Here's the August 2014 Volvo press release on the XC90 First Edition:
https://www.media.volvocars.com/us/en-us/media/pressreleases/149590/all-new-volvo-xc90-1927-limited-first-edition-cars-available-only-via-digital-commerce

Personally - while the First Edition has basically all the options ... for a US $50,000+ vehicle I wouldn't purchase something that didn't exactly match my requirements. While the 5,000 miles sounds low - is the price better than what the dealer would charge you for a demo vehicle in their showroom? Do you feel it is worth a premium to have a numbered first edition vehicle?

#5 ·

If it's MSRPing at 65.7k (which the T6 FE is), I'd ask for no more than 60k in perfect condition. So at least 5k off, maybe more.

Of course, if the dealer thinks s/he's going to get a lot of offers, then you'll have to decide if you're willing to pay more or not.

#6 ·
I'd be extra careful about buying a slightly used First Ed. Do your research and make sure it wasn't traded in because it was a lemon. I wouldn't touch one that had the sunroof leaking issue flooding the interior. Too many chances there could be electrical issues down the road. You could start with a Carfax report.

#7 ·

MSRP - $5k seems about right like the other poster mentioned.

#8 ·
Thanks all.

Found out today that it's not actually a First Edition. :confused: Features-wise it's the same, but it was not one of the 1,927 w the FE exclusives.

Dealer is asking for $61,900 which is roughly consistent with the MSRP minus $5k approach that others have mentioned.

Dealer is claiming other dealers would pay them more but I'm highly skeptical. I'm inclined to pass on it unless they come down further.

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks all.

Found out today that it's not actually a First Edition. :confused: Features-wise it's the same, but it was not one of the 1,927 w the FE exclusives.

Dealer is asking for $61,900 which is roughly consistent with the MSRP minus $5k approach that others have mentioned.

Dealer is claiming other dealers would pay them more but I'm highly skeptical. I'm inclined to pass on it unless they come down further.
Wow, that dealer seems to be putting on the full court press trying to sell you that vehicle. Then why wouldn't they sell it to another dealer? There might be a valid reason, but that seems strange. if another dealer would pay "more", and then attempt to resell it at an even higher price, that would be getting dangerously close to the original MSRP considering that the car has been driven off the lot and there's 5,000 miles on it.

#10 ·
I do not know exactly how CarFax works and what's reported, but I will say that I picked my car up on Nov 25 after the first leak was supposedly 'fixed', and had a CarFax run on Dec 14 and it was still clean. Probably completely normal for it to be clean in this instance, but I did have a water intrusion and they had to replace the headliner.

#12 ·
Seems to me as if you're getting the run around. In my opinion that dealer is stretching the truth until it's about to break regarding the "reason". They are interested in money NOW... Such a stretch to tell you that they want "more customers in the area". That gets a big ole fat "give me a break" from me, personally.

I assume that this is an Inscription? Just for fun, pull up Volvo's map of dealerships around the country and pick 10. Then look at the ratios of Momentums to Inscriptions in each of their inventories. There are hardly any Inscriptions available versus Momentums. If someone is dead set on an Inscription, with such limited lot availability, doesn't seem to me like it would be that hard for a dealership to sell an Inscription.

#13 ·
It's worth what the market will pay for it, not what you or I will pay for it. Make them an offer and see what they say, negotiate. What do you have to loose but some time and you may gain a vehicle that you like at, what you consider, a fair price.

#14 ·
Totally agree. Came here because the market isn't very clear on these so hoping to get some info about what others who are interested in these consider a market price.

We're set on an Inscription, but don't value some of the things such as B&W sound that push up the MSRP on a fully loaded. If we can't find a used or demo, then we'll probably go special order to shave the price on a new to something below $62k.

#16 ·
I know I am stating the obvious.....

Your best deal will only happen if are completely comfortable walking away if you do not get the price you have in mind!!! Good luck...

#17 ·
Reading the reply and other comments since my last post ... without seeing a definitive list of what that use car actually has for a config - all bets off on the price. There's quite a few options that are expensive (B&W audio, 4C, etc.) and that in itself could be justification for a varied price.

The comment about a dealer saying that other dealers would pay them more ... completely turns me off. Many cars that are traded in (in the US) are not resold by the dealer - but instead go to auction.

To me it just sounds like a dealer has a commitment to take this car and since someone has interest is trying (in their best way?) to close a deal with it.

If it is not a FE vehicle - what does KBB and Edmonds say about the price (if they even have the info on this MY)?

I think one of my original comments stands: unless you're getting a steal ... or your totally happy with the colour and all the options - why pay so much for a vehicle and not get what you want? Buying one off the lot that is your desired config - or even better, ordering one - seems to make more sense to me.

As for CARFAX - I think all you are going to see there is transfers and if the vehicle had any insurance work (damage) ... I don't think you're going to see info like whether it had a sunroof leak or other issues (that may be the cause of someone wanting to get rid of the vehicle).

Lastly - if you are interested in the used vehicle ... see what the dealer will do vis-a-vis extending the warranty. In some cases I've known of people who have bought a low mileage demo and had the warranty extended by the number of miles on the vehicle at the time of purchase.

#18 ·
Lastly - if you are interested in the used vehicle ... see what the dealer will do vis-a-vis extending the warranty. In some cases I've known of people who have bought a low mileage demo and had the warranty extended by the number of miles on the vehicle at the time of purchase.
That's a really good idea......

#31 ·
I've seen several posters ask what you replaced the XC90 with. It would be very helpful to hear the answer. Many of the buyers here need a car with minimum size and specs. Real world comparison experience would be valuable...

#27 ·
We signed the papers yesterday. Ended up paying a bit under $61k. My sense is that we probably could have done a bit better, but we got more than we were looking for at a price that worked for us, so we're happy. :) Thanks to everyone for their advice.

#33 ·
I bought a Q3 Audi and a BMW X5 diesel. I have a jaguar fpace on order. The base model Q3 is a great ride and it only cost 33k Otd. Heated seats, leather, back up camera, 19inch rims, led ambient lights. Drives flawlessly but not big enough for most here. Seats are actually comparable to the XC90. The BMW has a crappy seat and will be traded in for the fpace. I got nearly 9k off sticker so hopefully I won't get too burned. Obviously, the stereo in the Audi is not comparable to the Bowers system. I opted to bypass the virtual instrument cluster in the fpace due to my problems with the XC90.

#34 ·
Would love to hear about your experience with the F-Pace (once you get it, since I assume it's late spring '16 delivery) as I am considering adding one alongside our XC90. Not a lot of internet discussion, i.e. forum chat, on these unfortunately...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.