SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a P80 guy with the exception of a 2004 VR part out (moderately profitable) a couple years ago.

Just had a guy approach me in my 94 850 Turbo to ask if I'd be interested in his 04 SR...... it's a nightmare essentially umaintained!

Ti/Atacama
6 spd
130000 kms!
18" Pegs
No idea whether nav, climate etc. - forgot to look actually.

Obvious issues

Tires randomly worn AND donut being used (certain angle gear death I'm sure - and I just sold the one I'd been holding onto from the earlier part out I did).
Various dings.

Questions
1 - what's it worth?
2 - can you run a P2 awd car as fwd without issues (in the short term)?

Thanks.
Various dings

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
If its a nightmare why even think about it? If it's been abused and at that many miles your repair bills will add up fast and you will regret it. If you really are thinking about it ask the dude if you can take it too a place and have it inspected before you make an offer and think about what your really getting into.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks - guess I should have been less obscure....... I know enough to realize repairs on these are ridiculous - the mechanicals I can do myself(so really that's just parts $), electronics are another issue entirely, BUT the owner was suggesting $5,000 - he's in a pinch financially right now. The $5k was why I'd even consider it!!

And about question 2 - I know the first generation can run solely fwd without issue, just curious if the P2 electronics scream bloody murder if you try to run them in fwd only?

Again, input appreciated - thanks.

Oh yeah - 130000kms ~ 85K MILES, doesn't seem that big to me since I have a P80VR @ 183K miles and a 850Turbo @ 283K kms!!

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Thanks - guess I should have been less obscure....... I know enough to realize repairs on these are ridiculous - the mechanicals I can do myself(so really that's just parts $), electronics are another issue entirely, BUT the owner was suggesting $5,000 - he's in a pinch financially right now. The $5k was why I'd even consider it!!

And about question 2 - I know the first generation can run solely fwd without issue, just curious if the P2 electronics scream bloody murder if you try to run them in fwd only?

Again, input appreciated - thanks.

Oh yeah - 130000kms ~ 85K MILES, doesn't seem that big to me since I have a P80VR @ 183K miles and a 850Turbo @ 283K kms!!
Sorry, I don't know my kms to mi math :D I actually read that as 130,000 miles lol

I wouldn't run it too long FWD only, you can do it but I'm sure it will end up doing some type of damage to the angle gear/haldex/DEM/trans or something :D

I say for 5K you really can't do wrong, worse case is parting it out and you will probably make that $5000 just selling the Atacama :D

·
Registered
13,504 Posts
Five grand seems like a good deal from what you are describing - I would think it would be worth more than that. It is a manual transmission car with atacama, which are sought after and 85k miles on an '04 is pretty good.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Been a P80 guy with the exception of a 2004 VR part out (moderately profitable) a couple years ago.

Just had a guy approach me in my 94 850 Turbo to ask if I'd be interested in his 04 SR...... it's a nightmare essentially umaintained!

Ti/Atacama
6 spd
130000 kms!
18" Pegs
No idea whether nav, climate etc. - forgot to look actually.

Obvious issues

Tires randomly worn AND donut being used (certain angle gear death I'm sure - and I just sold the one I'd been holding onto from the earlier part out I did).
Various dings.

Questions
1 - what's it worth?
2 - can you run a P2 awd car as fwd without issues (in the short term)?

Thanks.
Various dings
1. 5 Thousand is extremely decent of a price for that vehicle...
2. You can most certainly drive this car as a FWD car, I suggest you pull the Haldex fuse in the rear to discourage engagement if it's not working properly from the get-go. Just be ready to receive crazy torque steer and tire shredding.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Just a question out of curiosity.
Since most likely OP will be replacing all sorts of AWD components because of the PO's "Bo Duke" driver mentality, are the AWD components different btw AWD P2s? So would an angle gear or Haldex or xfr case from another 04, say XC or s60 AWD be interchangeable?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cursory look over tonight.....

Outer tierods,
Coolant leak,
Rear rotors (courtesy of the caliper issue),
Brake flush/bleed,
Various bulbs (haven't even starting to pinpoint specifics),
Chassis setting won't switch off 'Comfort' - blechh,

These are the obvious from my short drive to work and a brief walkaround afterward! Getting more than a little apprehensive at the moment....

·
Registered
13,504 Posts
What rear caliper issue do you have? I'm asking because I think I have a problem with my passenger rear caliper. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Cursory look over tonight.....

Outer tierods,
Coolant leak,
Rear rotors (courtesy of the caliper issue),
Brake flush/bleed,
Various bulbs (haven't even starting to pinpoint specifics),
Chassis setting won't switch off 'Comfort' - blechh,

These are the obvious from my short drive to work and a brief walkaround afterward! Getting more than a little apprehensive at the moment....
Usually a sign that the suspension is messed with, he may have replaced it with generic struts.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for that^^.

Bigger issue on the trip home from work this morning was the loose lug bolts driver's side rear!! Actually lost one bolt and sheared the head off another - haven't pulled the wheel off yet to extract the rest of it, but I'm hoping it's just a couple threads. Gave the tire shop a heads up, but in the big picture this particular issue is nothing. Info display shows two messages.........'Bulb Position Location Failure' (IIRC) and, of course, Chassis Suspension Settings Service.

Can anybody share some illumination on the 'Bulb...Failure' issue (pun intended and apologies - haven't 'searched' yet)? I assumed this meant there were multiple burnt out bulbs, but for the life of me I checked all the exterior lights (fine) and the interior courtesy lamps (also fine), so I'm scratching my head a bit.

Struts/shocks feel lousy (I was driving along thinking that both my 98R and my 94 850 Turbo put this to shame in the 'feel' category) - almost like a cat walking on a hot surface and not interested in having it's feet on the ground!! I'm sure once the full suspension is done, I'll change that tune, but right now it is definitively awful!! Is there a discount source for the 4C stuff?

Oh yeah - stock muffler is shot (holes front and rear) - recommendations?

I will say that I REALLY enjoy how smoothly the power delivery is executed. Right from low rpms this just pulls in a much more refined manner than either of the other turbo cars I've got.

Briefly contemplated a part out on this, but I think it's probably only ~$3k from being a top quality performance sedan again - hope I'm right.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Thanks for that^^.

Bigger issue on the trip home from work this morning was the loose lug bolts driver's side rear!! Actually lost one bolt and sheared the head off another - haven't pulled the wheel off yet to extract the rest of it, but I'm hoping it's just a couple threads. Gave the tire shop a heads up, but in the big picture this particular issue is nothing. Info display shows two messages.........'Bulb Position Location Failure' (IIRC) and, of course, Chassis Suspension Settings Service.

Can anybody share some illumination on the 'Bulb...Failure' issue (pun intended and apologies - haven't 'searched' yet)? I assumed this meant there were multiple burnt out bulbs, but for the life of me I checked all the exterior lights (fine) and the interior courtesy lamps (also fine), so I'm scratching my head a bit.

Struts/shocks feel lousy (I was driving along thinking that both my 98R and my 94 850 Turbo put this to shame in the 'feel' category) - almost like a cat walking on a hot surface and not interested in having it's feet on the ground!! I'm sure once the full suspension is done, I'll change that tune, but right now it is definitively awful!! Is there a discount source for the 4C stuff?

Oh yeah - stock muffler is shot (holes front and rear) - recommendations?

I will say that I REALLY enjoy how smoothly the power delivery is executed. Right from low rpms this just pulls in a much more refined manner than either of the other turbo cars I've got.

Briefly contemplated a part out on this, but I think it's probably only ~$3k from being a top quality performance sedan again - hope I'm right.
I bet you could make it work for less than 3K if you're doing it yourself. Bulb failure is probably related to your position lights. Check the tail lights at night, do you see 4 lights, or 2? Look closely.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
You're correct - it specifically said position lights, I'll check for 4.

And yes, I do virtually all my own work, so might be less, but that's the number I threw at the finance department and got the go ahead with........ might have room for some road handling upgrades in that budget, gotta see what else comes up as I dig further into it first though.

One last note on handling observations from this morning - things were significantly improved with DSTC off.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
If you wanna replace the stock muffler on a budget I would order the OBX off ebay.

RockAuto.com has the cheapest price for 4C shocks but all 4 will still run you almost $1100 or more.

Check the spring seats, LCA, endlinks and inner and outer tie rods

Your bulb failure might just be a loose bulb, seems to happen a lot. Try wiggling them and seeing if that helps.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Wow - it's a different world here - kinda helpful!

Cheers to each of you :beer: !
Treat others how you would like to be treated I always say :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts