SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a 1980 242 M45 B21F. I am new to working on my own car, new to Volvo, and so on and so forth. Loving it, but there's a lot of learning going on.

The car runs well. At a stopped idle it lopes a little, whether it's cool or warm, but once it gets going it runs fantastic until the next stop, at which point it (you guessed it) it lopes a little.I am interested in getting it as close to perfect running order as possible as economically as possible.

Upon the advice of many board posters, I have been doing some various things under the hood. Today was "examine the vacuum lines and replace any that look not good." I bought a "universal vacuum line kit" from ipd to assist.

The first line I found was a worn line between the three-way connector and the "vacuum capsule" by the distributor cap. Of course, the size of the vacuum line was NOT in the "universal" ipd kit. So I trimmed it and reconnected. So far so good.

Next, I discovered that the vacuum line that leads from the vacuum canister at the driver front corner of the engine compartment to the intake manifold (?) was completely off of the manifold--just hanging there. Trimmed and reconnected, although the kit had the right size for this one. But having had success with the other one...

So I had to quit for the day and help with my baby daughter. The car seemed to idle better, but not perfectly. I'm kind of wondering how the heck this thing is getting along so well with hoses hanging loose under the hood.

I guess what I'd like to know is a) what is that loose vacuum line there for that it was not inherently necessary for the car to go, and b) what's next?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts