SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

My 2013 XC60 T6 with 60K miles needs the vacuum pump repaired. No surprises and not a hard job.

Do I need to remove the turbo intake pipe? Looks like it would make the job much easier, however, the pipe disappears behind the PCV cover very quickly. Not finding any good information on removing the pipe, but there are a lot of folks who want to sell me a carbon fiber one. ;)

Any insight would be appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The air pipe snaps over a bolt with a long head on it on the top of the timing chain case. Try to pull straight up in that area so you don't break that off. You might want to take battery out and then snap off the front battery compartment piece.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The air pipe snaps over a bolt with a long head on it on the top of the timing chain case. Try to pull straight up in that area so you don't break that off. You might want to take battery out and then snap off the front battery compartment piece.

Great info. I can see it now.

Thank you both for the good info!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
What makes you think the pump is bad? Is it leaking? Just curious for myself.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What makes you think the pump is bad? Is it leaking? Just curious for myself.
It is leaking motor oil. Classic symptoms. They all do it. This example has 66K miles on it.

My 3.2 straight six did the same thing. I have put another 70K miles on it with no leak. They must have improved up on the parts.

It's really easy to DIY. The Volvo kit is $65 or so. The first time I did the job it took about 45 minutes. Had an independent shop want to charge me $750 for a new pump which I thought was insane.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Before the kits were available other places BMW dealers and indy shops were buying them at Volvo. Then land Rover began to offer the kit for LR2s with the engine.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
So did every manufacturer with vacuum pumps mounting this way kinda realize it was not the greatest design and leak prone?

What's the "by the book" repair BEFORE the kits were available? Replace the entire assembly?

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
So did every manufacturer with vacuum pumps mounting this way kinda realize it was not the greatest design and leak prone?

What's the "by the book" repair BEFORE the kits were available? Replace the entire assembly?
Before the kit was available, our dealership was resealing them with RTV for out of warranty repairs and replacing the pump for warranty repairs.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

My local independent shop wanted $700 to replace the pump. I did the job on my S80 65K miles ago and it does not leak at this time. What ever modifications they did worked.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Just wanted to chime in and say that my 2013 needed this repair as well. I think I paid somewhere around $200 for the dealer to do it while the XC was in for normal maintenance. From what I can remember, they did not replace the pump. I was billed for the rebuild kit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts