SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to identify a replacement for my vacuum pump Volvo Hella UP28.
I could replace it with the exact same but I'm think there might be a newer compatible pump which would hopefully be more durable.

Can a few SS member check on their newer cars for the pump part #, something like 07 and beyond.
It should be right on the pump visible from the engine bay.
Thanks!

My 05 vacuum pump part # is Volvo 08684342

All pumps are made by Hella
I found some other numbers like:
Hella W0133-1910902 or Hella 1910902

And a newer Volvo part number 31317530

But I don't have cross reference to know if they are compatible with my 05t5.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? It'll just take 2min. . . :D

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
TG, here is the scoop on the vacuum pumps failing..... PM me your email & I'll send you the details.

A service kit has been developed to reduce the current through the vacuum switch for the brake vacuum pump.

If fault tracing leads to the conclusion that the vacuum pump requires replacement, also install the cable harness kit according to VIDA and the following instructions.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think my pump has failed since it does not make any noise at all

I have the exact same pump that TG has on my 2004.5 S40 T5. I ordered a used replacement from ebay since mine is not doing anything. The fuse looked okay. A few months ago it blew but I replaced the fuse and it has not blown since. I took out the battery and looked at the switch that went into the brake booster by the master cylinder and it looked okay. Not sure if there is a way to test it or not. I have just read that the spring pops out of them when they are bad.

pczeilon - > Will I need the harness kit when I replace my vacuum pump? If so what is the part number?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks man,
I ended up getting a new pump for nothing... Oh well it's nice and shiny now...
I'm not sure if I'll put the used one on sale or keep-it in case...

and FYI, the part number I used was 31317530
I did not replace the harness.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
If ur replacing ur vacuum pump I would recommend the relay harness service kit that Volvo also has to reduce risk of future failure. I have installed numerous and is very straight forward. Probably cost u $100 more but worth reducing risk of another pump failure.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
As TG pointed out all vacuum pumps now supersede to 31317530. Everything through 08' should add the harness...
A service kit has been developed to reduce the current through the vacuum switch for the brake vacuum pump.
PM me an email address & I can get the directions to you. Very straightforward. Perhaps you can do a "how to" we can sticky for everyone in the future.

Tasca:
Part Number 31270987
Part Name WIRING HARNESS
MSRP $103.92
Online Price $77.08

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I change the pump but the pump was not bad so I have an extra one on hand now.
I did not change the harness. I don't know about the high voltage. I'll cross my finger...

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
I need to do the relay harness, my pump was stayin on so I unplugged it for now.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
So my wife's 08 S40 just had the pump stay on after the car for about a minute, and it was pretty hot to the touch. What's the deal? Hers is an 08, so I figured this wouldn't be an issue based on this thread. Any thoughts, Kyle?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the problem with the abs vacuum pump staying on anytime the car is running and about a minute after the car shuts off. My mechanic told me broken vacuum lines can cause this problem. This has been investigated and eliminated. Can anyone provide clarity whether the harness part no 31270987 will cure this problem? I called every Volvo dealer in the SW and they didn't know crap. The only thing I found out is that the harness fits 06 thru 13 C-70s.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
The harness alone will NOT solve your problem. It only prevents certain damage to the pump from occurring. Replace the pump, then add the harness to prevent problems in the future.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the info. Just to be clear, am I to understand that the problem is entirely inside the pump and not any external relays, sensors, etc? This appears to be temperature related. It started to do in occasionally, then became permanent once "spring" arrived in Las Vegas...

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Yes, read through this thread for full testing procedures. Sounds like you already did this by checking for vacuum leaks. The pump can malfunction by sticking "on". Volvo issued the harness fix to offload some of the switching current to an external relay.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts