SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally I was looking at getting one of the Volvo branded Thule hitch racks that Volvo sells in Europe, but getting it here would be expensive and it would have required modification to work on a US-spec 2 inch tow ball.

So instead I opted for the one readily available here. It's a simpler design that, unfortunately, doesn't swing out of the way to access the hatch, like the Thule/Volvo one. What is interesting is that it's labelled in several spots as only being for the V90cc. I'm guessing it can't be used on the regular V90 because it positions the bikes too low? And all the other Volvo hideaway hitches have a different ball design?

It'll get the job done and folds up to be fairly compact. I just wish it could tilt out of the way of the hatch when there are bikes on it. Overall, seems well built though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Originally I was looking at getting one of the Volvo branded Thule hitch racks that Volvo sells in Europe, but getting it here would be expensive and it would have required modification to work on a US-spec 2 inch tow ball.

So instead I opted for the one readily available here. It's a simpler design that, unfortunately, doesn't swing out of the way to access the hatch, like the Thule/Volvo one. What is interesting is that it's labelled in several spots as only being for the V90cc. I'm guessing it can't be used on the regular V90 because it positions the bikes too low? And all the other Volvo hideaway hitches have a different ball design?
Good choice!

I bought the same one. Other than the swing away, it's really quite convenient to use; lightweight, easy to put on and off and store. I do fear about the exhaust and the potential to damage fragile rims. Normally, it's just my wife that takes her bike and goes with friends, so I tell her to make sure she puts it on the outermost position. I have some ideas for 'heat shields' for the rims, but nothing that seems plausible enough to try yet.

Reactions: nbvolks

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good choice!

I bought the same one. Other than the swing away, it's really quite convenient to use; lightweight, easy to put on and off and store. I do fear about the exhaust and the potential to damage fragile rims. Normally, it's just my wife that takes her bike and goes with friends, so I tell her to make sure she puts it on the outermost position. I have some ideas for 'heat shields' for the rims, but nothing that seems plausible enough to try yet.
Yeah, interestingly, it looks like Volvo includes, or offers, an exhaust shield of some sort for that Thule/Volvo rack they offer in Europe.

I'll have to keep an eye it with this one, since you're right, the included instructions give a pretty clear warning about how close this rack can place the bike tires to the exhaust.

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
@LarryM (user here) would know for sure about that rack. He's up in that area and works for Thule.
Nice car.
Yeah, interestingly, it looks like Volvo includes, or offers, an exhaust shield of some sort for that Thule/Volvo rack they offer in Europe.

I'll have to keep an eye it with this one, since you're right, the included instructions give a pretty clear warning about how close this rack can place the bike tires to the exhaust.

·
Registered
128 Posts
This is another argument for tray type racks or roof racks (even if a roof rack is less convenient for garages). If you look at a typical hitch TRAY rack, they are not really that close to the exhaust. Most are actually higher than the exhaust (to give rear ground clearance and allow the loaded rack to tip down for loading the hatch). So that's the first thing to check. If the wheels are too close to the exhaust or right in the stream, look for another tray rack. If you use a hanger type rack - that's another story - personally, I don't like hanger type racks for any bike, but especially not for carbon frames.

For rim brake bike wheels - the wheels are subject to high heat - in some cases very high simply from brake pad friction. Eg: Zipp did some experiments that showed that dragging brakes over a long descent (5 minutes) with a super clydesdale type rider (300 pounds) could see brake surface temps of 700 degrees F. This is not real world - but other manufacturers (Hed, DT Swiss, Enve) have done similar tests with their carbon wheels and have seen temps in the 400's with carbon rims. Great argument for disc brakes. Regardless - When riding you shouldn't drag the brakes and even a short letup on brakes will allow the carbon or discs to cool (which won't happen if they are in front of the exhaust for hours).

For those in doubt about their bike rack and car exhaust, an easy test would be to put your hitch rack on your car, duct tape a wireless BBQ probe in the location on your rack or bike wheel nearest to the exhaust and go for a drive. If you see high temps - you might want to shop for a new rack - or if a hanger rack is your only option - remove the front wheel, and adjust the bike forward.

For interest and somewhat on topic: Alto did a test (somewhat controversial) showing temp induced wheel failure under rim brake load (of course, their wheels performed the best):

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
I've also seen departure angles or approach angles mess up a bike by dragging it or mashing it by hanging too low when entering something or backing up. ANY bike wheel (especially carbon) would be completely jacked up with that.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've got carbon wheel and specifically bought a roof rack because I didn't want to deal with exhaust warping my wheels on long drives. Its not really about complete failure or the wheels but more of delamination and glue failures from extended periods of high heat. Short drives of 30 minutes or less shouldn't matter too much but I've got to drive at least an hour one way to get to any decent riding. My rims comes with a lifetime any reason warranty but they said to please not intentionally do things to break them including having them sit behind car exhaust for long periods of time.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I just fold down the rear seats and load my bike in the back of my V90CC. I used to carry mine and my wife's bike in the back of our Saab 9-5 wagon easily. Just had to put a blanket as a cushion to prevent any scratches. If we are taking them locally works great.

Reactions: nbvolks

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just fold down the rear seats and load my bike in the back of my V90CC. I used to carry mine and my wife's bike in the back of our Saab 9-5 wagon easily. Just had to put a blanket as a cushion to prevent any scratches. If we are taking them locally works great.
That works....unless you have kids.

·
Registered
218 Posts
@nbvolks...can you post a pix with a bike on this rack?...I would like to see how close the bike wheels come to the exhaust...(i have a hybrid cannondale road bike)...thanks...R

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@nbvolks...can you post a pix with a bike on this rack?...I would like to see how close the bike wheels come to the exhaust...(i have a hybrid cannondale road bike)...thanks...R
I will as soon as I have a bike to do so! Bikes everywhere are on backorder. Last I heard I might have mine by June.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Bikes everywhere are on backorder. Last I heard I might have mine by June.
I was lucky to pick up a 2018 Cannondale hybrid - with very limited use - that was traded in for a higher end race bike...a week ago...crazy supply chain that won't get better until next year...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Some pix of my installation of the USA/Canada v90cc bike rack...the bottom of the tires are near the top of the exhaust openings...i know some have concerns over this - but it seems fine to me...the rack is solid and the straps help keep the pedal from hitting and keep the front fork/wheel steady without movement...all in all, a nice rack...yes - would have been nice if it tilted down to be able to open the trunk - but not a big deal for me...my bike, btw, is a Medium frame Cannondale Quick 5 hybrid...enjoy...R

1 - 16 of 16 Posts