SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I doing something wrong? I loaded a thumb drive with the New England map update, confirmed that yes, the files were on it, and then went and plugged it into the car (the socket outlined in white). Turned on the ignition, pressed the nav button (the compass icon) and waited for it to present me with a message asking whether I wanted to continue with the download. Nothing. It's a 32 mb stick, FAT formatted.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Oh man, I am having the exact same issue (S90)! I was up at the dealership, they suggested I reformat the stick to exFAT. I offloaded the maps, reformatted, and reloaded them, but I haven't tried it yet. Will report back when I do (at work now).

·
Registered
879 Posts
You are doing it wrong.

You must have them loaded onto the USB wrong. You should not have a file on the USB but have the entire contents listed on the USB when opened.

Soon as you plug the USB in while the vehicle is idling, you will get a pop-up asking if you want to update the maps.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
turn on engine first, then plug in the usb key. This could make a little difference.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
The issue is that the USB stick has to be clean as a whistle, with no hidden files or other vestigial remnants of previous use, before the map files are installed. Any debris on the stick will screw up the map installation process.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I went out and bought a stick. The downloader wouldn't start until I wiped off whatever was on it to start, some recovery program I think.

In addition to the maps, there were some other files downloaded: checksum, and something else, some folder. Should I erase those and try again?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I went out and bought a stick. The downloader wouldn't start until I wiped off whatever was on it to start, some recovery program I think.

In addition to the maps, there were some other files downloaded: checksum, and something else, some folder. Should I erase those and try again?
Three questions....

1. How do I check the map version I have, and determine whether I need an update?
2. How large a flash drive would I require to cover the map files?
3. Would I just plug that into one of the two USB ports in the middle console?....and it's automatically identified and Sensus will give me options to upload?

thanks ahead,,,,,

·
Registered
49 Posts
There's nothing on the stick but map files and the "helper" files. I did try removing those, but no joy. (Yes, I restored them afterward.)

Try plugging it into a computer running windows and then choose the option in the file explorer to show hidden files. I found tons of junk lurking on my drive that didn’t show up in the Finder on my Mac.

I wiped them off and then plugged it back into the Mac and ran the Sensus update program. My car recognized it immediately and took about 30 mins to update the whole NA base map.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
Three questions....

1. How do I check the map version I have, and determine whether I need an update?
2. How large a flash drive would I require to cover the map files?
3. Would I just plug that into one of the two USB ports in the middle console?....and it's automatically identified and Sensus will give me options to upload?

thanks ahead,,,,,
I don't know how to check the version, but when I connected my car to our home WiFi network and went to the Download Center, I think it checked for software that needed updates. Seems there were System, Apps, and Maps categories if I remember correctly and if something needed an update it indicated that. It was pretty obvious as I recall. A few days later, I had the car in the garage, and it automatically connected to the WiFi network and there was a message at the top of the Sensus screen saying that an update was available. Without being connected to a network of some sort, I'm not sure how the car's software would be able to check if there was an available update.

The California map file was 270 MB in size. So I think that any thumbdrive you buy (typically a few gigabytes or more) would probably be adequate. I should say that the California map is the only thing I've updated, so I really have very little experience with this.

I don't know the answer to #3, I've only updated a map file via my home WiFi with the car in the garage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oh man, I am having the exact same issue (S90)! I was up at the dealership, they suggested I reformat the stick to exFAT. I offloaded the maps, reformatted, and reloaded them, but I haven't tried it yet. Will report back when I do (at work now).
I have the same problem. This should be a simple procedure not requiring a computer engineering degree. I tried everything I know. Re-formatted the flash drive in the FAT format. Uploaded onto the drive the NA map files, which tool about two hours. Plugged the device into the 1015.5 XC70 USB port. Started the car. Selected NAV. If it requires more than this, the Volvo dealers should offer it as part of scheduled maintenance.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have the same problem. This should be a simple procedure not requiring a computer engineering degree. I tried everything I know. Re-formatted the flash drive in the FAT format. Uploaded onto the drive the NA map files, which tool about two hours. Plugged the device into the 1015.5 XC70 USB port. Started the car. Selected NAV. If it requires more than this, the Volvo dealers should offer it as part of scheduled maintenance.
did you use the volvo program to write file to it or you just copy and paste the files.? and did you use correct Map for your car? try to redownload the file again .does your car enabled to USB updates?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Saw this resurrected thread. I've never updated my maps and still have version 1200 (current version is 1340) that came with my early 2018 V90. Planning a couple of road trips this year after Covid-restricted travel all last year, I figured I should do this. I am uploading the relevant new regional maps from usb drive while the car sits in my garage, but don't want to leave the engine running, so use Ignition 1 setting with fan and sound system off. The problem is that the Infotainment system keeps shutting itself off after a couple of minutes, pausing the upload until I go back out there and turn it back on. The ignition remains on. I did a full battery charge prior to the upload, and I've even tried doing the upload with the charger still attached, but the Infotainment system keeps shutting itself off (as I imagine it is designed to do to preserve power). I sure wish there was a way to temporarily override the Infotainment system self-shut-down.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Saw this resurrected thread. I've never updated my maps and still have version 1200 (current version is 1340) that came with my early 2018 V90. Planning a couple of road trips this year after Covid-restricted travel all last year, I figured I should do this. I am uploading the relevant new regional maps from usb drive while the car sits in my garage, but don't want to leave the engine running, so use Ignition 1 setting with fan and sound system off. The problem is that the Infotainment system keeps shutting itself off after a couple of minutes, pausing the upload until I go back out there and turn it back on. The ignition remains on. I did a full battery charge prior to the upload, and I've even tried doing the upload with the charger still attached, but the Infotainment system keeps shutting itself off (as I imagine it is designed to do to preserve power). I sure wish there was a way to temporarily override the Infotainment system self-shut-down.
Don't press the brake, twist and hold the Start know for 4-6 seconds until the engine lights come on, that will NOT shut down the infotainment. You will want to make sure the A/C is off and auto lights are off too...to minimize battery drainage.
If I do a map update this way, I usually connect the car to the battery tender while doing it, no battery drainage this way.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I just did this for a new update for Germany and it worked fine. Here are the steps:
1) Format the USB stick with NTFS (USB stick needs to be completly clean / no files);
2) Download from the Volvo Support Web Site the .EXE file for the map (in this case it was Germany);
3) Run the .EXE and choose the USB Stick as the target;
4) The download will start and files written to the USB Stick. - After the download, verify (using the same EXE tool) that the download is fine and valid;
--
5) In the car, unplug any other USB things you might have plugged in;
6) Plug in the USB with the map.. in a few seconds you will see a message saying "map is being updated..." (in my case.. my USB stick is 8GB - very old one.. it takes about +30 minutes to update the map.. with a better/faster USB stick should be faster) - the car doesn't need to be running and the ignition doesn't need to be on.. but Sensus needs to be on.. obviously :)

I did this a few days ago, and I do this every now and then because some maps are large and the downloads over 4G take some time.. and I'm not driving that much these days.

It would be perfect if Volvo would just allow the car to use the 4G or Wifi connection and download/install the maps over night even with the car locked/parked at home.

·
Registered
850 Posts
on spa platform it takes about 20 min to install the maps i just kept my car on at my driveway or when i would drive to work i would put update and it would be finished by time i get to work. you dont have to be parked to install update you can still drive around.

·
Registered
153 Posts
yes.. of course you can drive around while doing it :)
In my experience.. maps like Germany "2GB size" always take more than 30 minutes.. but like I said.. with better USB Sticks might take less time.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I know they'll load while driving around and will pause and restart as car is turned off, then restarted. I'm just not driving often so wanted to load while it sits comfortably and securely in my garage, but without the engine running. I followed @pocholin's guidance this morning, and it took a little over an hour to load 1.7 GB US Mountain region without the Infotainment system shutting off. I don't want my engine running that long. I'm envious that @ru1 can get his Infotainment system to remain on long enough without running the engine or battery charger support.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts