SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy sent me this photo of a modified V90 and it took me a while to figure out just what the heck that was. Figured it would entertain you guys as well.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Looks like an electric booster motor?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
553 Posts
Single exhaust. Then can't figure out the middle part, a different type of hitch with a weird cover?

Sent from my motorola razr (2020) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
202 Posts
The middle part seems to be able to lift and drop, see the telescopic arms.
Is not connected to the wheels. It has like a wire on the right and like a valve on the left. Can't see the front but the larger diameter seems to be open on the lower side towards front.
Is it one of those mechanical sirens like WW2 ?
Or a lowering water or dust catcher when driving, for whatever reasons.

Seriously, looks like a rubber wheel and he can lower it and lift the car on 3 wheels, or just touch ground to generate electrical power?
(is this the guy who was asking for 200kW alternator a while ago?)

2018 V90 CC T6 P*

·
Registered
337 Posts
That could be a different load leveling system for heavy power scooters.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looks like the whole car is on air ride bags, so I'm guessing that's a wheel to keep from dragging the rear end / exhaust when low riding.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like an electric booster motor?

Nope.

Single exhaust. Then can't figure out the middle part, a different type of hitch with a weird cover?

Not a hitch.

The middle part seems to be able to lift and drop, see the telescopic arms.
Is not connected to the wheels. It has like a wire on the right and like a valve on the left. Can't see the front but the larger diameter seems to be open on the lower side towards front.
Is it one of those mechanical sirens like WW2 ?
Or a lowering water or dust catcher when driving, for whatever reasons.

Seriously, looks like a rubber wheel and he can lower it and lift the car on 3 wheels, or just touch ground to generate electrical power?
(is this the guy who was asking for 200kW alternator a while ago?)

2018 V90 CC T6 P*
You're correct that the "thing" can lift and drop.

That could be a different load leveling system for heavy power scooters.

:) Nope

Looks like the whole car is on air ride bags, so I'm guessing that's a wheel to keep from dragging the rear end / exhaust when low riding.
It is on air bags but that's not why that wheel is there. Quite the opposite actually - it is on air bags BECAUSE the rubber wheel is there.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Rubber wheel? Is that for popping a wheely at the race track?!?!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Emergency power when the engine flames out.;)

·
Registered
337 Posts
So what's the answer?

·
Registered
2021 V90 R-Design Birch Light w/ Polestar Optimization
34 Posts
Increase/Lower ride height?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Only what I can see from the picture, but it looks like they have taken out the entire rear subframe and tossed it. There is nothing SPA I can see there, looks like a straight axle in fact! Also looks like the floor pan was cut and a box welded on top of it to clear the friction tester hardware. Not your average suspension mods ha.

I remember seeing a a bizarre looking Saab friction tester some years ago in a car mag. I knew they existed but certainly a niche type of vehicle.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Only what I can see from the picture, but it looks like they have taken out the entire rear subframe and tossed it. There is nothing SPA I can see there, looks like a straight axle in fact! Also looks like the floor pan was cut and a box welded on top of it to clear the friction tester hardware. Not your average suspension mods ha.

I remember seeing a a bizarre looking Saab friction tester some years ago in a car mag. I knew they existed but certainly a niche type of vehicle.
I think you may be right! I'll ask my friend if he can take a better shot if he sees the car again. Side note, they ride in comfort lol. It's a fully loaded inscription with ventilated Napa leather seats.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts