SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

V90 T5 Torque Steering

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Volvolic 
#1 ·
First post,

Just got a 2019 V90 T5. Coming from BMW and Mercedes, I’m impressed with the build quality of the car, the materials and of course the looks. This is the best looking wagon out there.

There is one thing that concerns me though and I would appreciate your input and or experience.

When getting on the throttle a little harder than usual i.e. on a on ramp with low traffic, the front end of the car becomes hard to control and I’m having a hard time staying in my lane.

I had FWD before and realize that there is always some torque steering when accelerating hard. I haven’t experienced it that extreme though.

With a new car I doubt there is a problem with wear or alignment, could it be a tire problem?

#2 ·
I'd recommend getting an alignment to increase the front toe-in (FWD toes-out during acceleration, enhancing torque steer). You should notice an improvement from that alone, but your steering response will be slightly slower (everything has a tradeoff).

The next step is swapping tires for a stiffer sidewall (less flex when torqued), but most folks wouldn't want to compromise ride quality.

#3 ·
First post,

Just got a 2019 V90 T5. Coming from BMW and Mercedes, I'm impressed with the build quality of the car, the materials and of course the looks. This is the best looking wagon out there.

There is one thing that concerns me though and I would appreciate your input and or experience.

When getting on the throttle a little harder than usual i.e. on a on ramp with low traffic, the front end of the car becomes hard to control and I'm having a hard time staying in my lane.

I had FWD before and realize that there is always some torque steering when accelerating hard. I haven't experienced it that extreme though.

With a new car I doubt there is a problem with wear or alignment, could it be a tire problem?
I've never heard of or experienced any kind of torque steer in the V90 (CC) (even with a T6 motor). Does it happen only under throttle or all the time (only you realize it when flooring it)?

If only on the application of throttle, it very well might be torque steer (which is strange for a sub-250 bhp, 4000+ lbs vehicle).

Try checking if your Vehicle pulls in a certain direction under zero or minimal throttle when cruising on the freeway. If it still steers, it very well might be wheel alignment/balancing.

#4 ·
I have a T5 with Polestar. With the T5 being FWD, torque steer is inevitable. I'm not that aggressive so most of the time it's not a problem but occasionally I do notice it. Not enough for me to need the T6 which I assume doesn't have this problem? (or it's less)

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

#9 ·
I have a T5 with Polestar. With the T5 being FWD, torque steer is inevitable. I'm not that aggressive so most of the time it's not a problem but occasionally I do notice it. Not enough for me to need the T6 which I assume doesn't have this problem? (or it's less)

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
I had no idea Volvo also sold the current SpA Vehicles as FWD. I was under the impression (until right now) that every Volvo has the AWD system. Thank you for the clarification. What you say makes total sense then. The T5 will torque steer. I have never felt any torque steer on my T6 even with my pedal to the metal in dynamic mode.

#5 ·
Compared to my previous fwd wagon the v90 t5 has a little more torque steer (and a little more power). It's apparent during overly brisk takeoffs, but manageable. The nature of the beast if you will. My brother who has never owned a fwd car noticed right away and didn't like it. I'm used to it.

#6 ·
Coming from a V50 1.8F (125hp) with 19" 225/35 which had A LOT of toruqe steer going full throttle, I don't experience that in the same way on my V90 T5 with 21" 245/35.
Sure it's there from time to time if I mash the throttle but not at all in the same amount as my previous car which had half the hp and a lot less torque.

Yes, previous car had alignment done with the 19"s on.
No, current car does not have an alignment done with the 21"s, car was delivered on 19" from factory and the bigger rims are aftermarket.

The thing that bothered me the most regards to steering the V90 was with my OEM wheels (19" with Michelin PS4). If I were to mash the throttle it would noticeably start to skip, not getting enough grip and I always thought that even the T5 on V90 would benefit from an AWD system.
With my new 21"s running Pirelli P-Zero it grips instantly and barely skips at all.

#8 ·
Thanks for your input!

Went and had alignment checked, turned out to be fine. Bit the bullet and dumped the Pirellis for a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

1,500$ later, the car is totally transformed. Hardly any torque steering anymore, the car drives like it's on rails.

Quite impressive what a set of tires can do!

I have a cheap set of Pirelli P7s for sale...... ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.