SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many versions of headlights do they make for the V90/S90? I know there are the steering versions and non-steering versions. But any others? I ask because I don’t understand the purpose of these little squares in the lower/inner part of headlight. They don’t have any LED’s in them so either they are for a higher end version or just for looks.

If the lights are on, either Lows or Highs, no light comes out of these little “squares”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
When I asked my dealer they said is part of the Matrix like high beam, not available in US or Canada.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I asked my dealer they said is part of the Matrix like high beam, not available in US or Canada.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Ok that is what I thought. Was thinking there was a different version of light that had LED’s in there. Bummer it’s not offered here.

Does anyone know if the little fresnel reflectors in the same area of the XC90 headlights do anything in the USA headlights?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Try with the low beam and DRL off, press the high beam and check if they work.

My car at the dealer rn or I would tried that for you.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try with the low beam and DRL off, press the high beam and check if they work.

My car at the dealer rn or I would tried that for you.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk
As I said they never illuminate. I tried various settings including flashing high beams.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a V90 in the uk, these are used on the active matrix LED lights. These have the shadow technology which uses high beam and masks the car in front or on coming cars

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a V90 in the uk, these are used on the active matrix LED lights. These have the shadow technology which uses high beam and masks the car in front or on coming cars
Nice. Sad we don’t get that in North America. Odd too, as I swear that Audi, BMW, and Benz are doing “matrix” headlamps in North America. Why can’t Volvo?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked closer with my flashlight and confirmed it’s just black plastic in each square. Also my car doesn’t have matrix style high beams at all. It just has “active” which simply shut off when it sees another vehicle. It doesn’t darken the area they are but turns off all high beam.

·
Registered
243 Posts
All I know is that the low beams on my 2018 V90 with active bending feature are far dimmer than the bi-xenons on my previous Audi, so much so that I engage the fog lamps just for the little benefit they provide. ugh.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I wonder if there are variations in light quality from car to car. I find both the low beams and especially the high beams on my 2018 OR to be fantastic, much better in brightness and coverage than on my 2019 CLS and a previous 2017 C-class cabriolet, and legions better than on a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee I owned.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I wonder if there are variations in light quality from car to car. I find both the low beams and especially the high beams on my 2018 OR to be fantastic, much better in brightness and coverage than on my 2019 CLS and a previous 2017 C-class cabriolet, and legions better than on a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee I owned.
Same here on my V90CC. Auto-high beams on the Interstate feel like driving on the set of a Mad Max movie!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Nice. Sad we don’t get that in North America. Odd too, as I swear that Audi, BMW, and Benz are doing “matrix” headlamps in North America. Why can’t Volvo?
Some drivers here in the Metro DC area do not need the matrix high beam technology, they just drive with their high beams on all the time! Thank God for the auto dimming interior and exterior mirrors.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some drivers here in the Metro DC area do not need the matrix high beam technology, they just drive with their high beams on all the time! Thank God for the auto dimming interior and exterior mirrors.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts