SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello members

I am in the market for v90 and would like to have your opinion on two things reliability and the rear seats for three kids.
I have done as much research research as I could but would like to know from actual owners what do you thinks of these two subjects .

-How reliable the V90 been for you ?

-Has anybody put three kids in the backseat and how is it on long trips .
I know the XC90 would have more room but I have a certain love for wagons....
I ll have a child seat and a booster seat to install... will the third child (11) will have hip room???

Thanks for your time

·
Registered
437 Posts
We had 1st and 2nd gen V70 wagons and a 1st gen XC90 with 2 car seats and 1 booster seat. The oldest always sat in the middle and kept the younger twin brothers in line. While the V70s never went from VA to TX (and we had a 98 and 99 at the same time for a number of years), they and the 04 V70 were used for long trips on the east coast. For drives to TX, we did use the XC90 until we purchased a Suburban in 08.

With my experience from those vehicles, I do not think that you will have any problem fitting your three kids in and their stuff. We were in Volvo’s until 2011 (when the oldest was 15 and the twins were 11) and shoe horned the kids into a Ford Fusion for local driving and a Suburban for trips from VA to TX (could not justify two SUVs in the economic downturn). At that point, they were all bigger than me and I am 5’10”.

Reliability — so far, my V90 has approximately 5K miles on it. It has started every morning without question and has never left me stranded. Nonetheless, I have had some warranty work which included replacement of brake rotors at 2K miles and the replacement of some exterior trim and the sunroof gasket because it had a gap.

If I had to do it again, I would buy the car. It’s every bit as nice as my 08 S80 (one of my favorite Volvos) and more roomy than the V70s or S80s.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I would go for it. All 90 Volvo are the same width so with all kids in a single row it won't be much different from an XC90 (of course, this is assuming you wouldn't use the third row in an XC90).

As for reliability, obviously no one has had one longer than about 2 years, but I had my V90 Cross Country T6 AWD for 20k miles and the only issue was having a fuel filler something replaced under warranty (apparently a common problem in SPA Volvos, just makes the CEL go on because the car thinks the gas cap is open or something). This was during a mix of crowded city driving, highway cruising, and even some light off roading, so the car is definitely tough. I loved that car, but went with an S60 for my next one as it was just too big for my needs (no kids here).

The cargo space is fantastic, and it's actually easier to load things on the roof (car top box, bikes, kayaks, etc) since the roof is so much lower than the XC90.

Plus you'll look so much cooler!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Have 2019 V90cc. With one child in a rear facing car seat and the other in the outboard built-in booster seat there's still room in the middle for my wife to sit between them on the middle seat.

So you should be fine on room. I HIGHLY recommend the built-in booster seats to maximize the amount of space back there.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would go for it. All 90 Volvo are the same width so with all kids in a single row it won't be much different from an XC90 (of course, this is assuming you wouldn't use the third row in an XC90).
Wrong.

I have both, XC90 is much wider than V90. there's no way you can fit 3 child seats in a V90 unless they're boosters with no handrest. I have 2 Clek Oobrs in V90 and there's barely enough space in the middle for my 5'2 nanny. In XC90 I got 2 Clek Foonfs and the right seat is completely open and any adult can sit (unless you're 300lbs).

If you have 3 small kids (need full car seat) then go with XC90, if your kids are using boosters, then V90 can be OK. Just bear in mind that XC90's rear seat recline to give more comfort.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Wrong.

I have both, XC90 is much wider than V90. there's no way you can fit 3 child seats in a V90 unless they're boosters with no handrest. I have 2 Clek Oobrs in V90 and there's barely enough space in the middle for my 5'2 nanny. In XC90 I got 2 Clek Foonfs and the right seat is completely open and any adult can sit (unless you're 300lbs).

If you have 3 small kids (need full car seat) then go with XC90, if your kids are using boosters, then V90 can be OK. Just bear in mind that XC90's rear seat recline to give more comfort.
I wonder how much of that has to do with the design of the rear bench in each car? Because the stated interior rear dimensions from Volvo aren't all that different between the V90 and the XC90.

Rear Hip room:

V90: 1416mm (55.7")
XC90: 1435mm (56.5")

Rear Shoulder room:

V90: 1420mm (55.9")

I also was unfamiliar with the carseats you mentioned, so I looked those up. The ones in your V90 are listed as being wider (at their widest) than the ones in your XC90. Not by much, but a few inches here and there can add up to a real and perceived space difference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The other question... would you keep a V90 for longer than 5 years or past the warranty period???
Is this more a leasing car and a car you own???

·
Registered
81 Posts
I wonder how much of that has to do with the design of the rear bench in each car? Because the stated interior rear dimensions from Volvo aren't all that different between the V90 and the XC90.
Perhaps in this case its best to measure the distance between the tethering points. That'll be the ultimate testimony. OP can go to the dealer can try fitting all of his car seat inside both cars. That's what I did.

·
Registered
243 Posts

I've had mine nine months. Start/Stop stopped then never re-started (the app, not the car itself). Battery replaced under warranty fixed it.

Don't have kids, but two retrievers are plenty comfy in the cargo area, especially with the rear seat down.

The other question... would you keep a V90 for longer than 5 years or past the warranty period???
I purchase and keep my cars 9-10 yrs. I fully intend to do that with this one.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
We don't have full data for reliability over time, but I think with this new touchscreen infotainment system (which Volvo is replacing with a Google based system soon) and very complex powertrain, you're living on borrowed time out of warranty or over 7yrs - 100K miles. These cars have sensitive (and expensive) electronic modules on top of modules on top of cpu's; then rubber bushings on top of bushings (big chunky aluminum control arms, variable shocks and air bags are not cheap to replace either). Life of the parts will of course vary on how well you treat the car, and your environmental conditions (you know if you or your fam are hard on things). To be fair, you can say the same for any European and American luxury car on the market; nature of the beast.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Rear Hip room:

V90: 1416mm (55.7")

Rear Shoulder room:

V90: 1420mm (55.9")

I also was unfamiliar with the carseats you mentioned, so I looked those up. The ones in your V90 are listed as being wider (at their widest) than the ones in your XC90. Not by much, but a few inches here and there can add up to a real and perceived space difference.
I agree with you. He's comparing Apple to Oranges on carseats. Did you end up buying the V90? Did three carseats work out for you in the back? I'm looking at one now and thinking about the integrated booster seat as well. Thanks,

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hello members

I am in the market for v90 and would like to have your opinion on two things reliability and the rear seats for three kids.
I have done as much research research as I could but would like to know from actual owners what do you thinks of these two subjects .

I ll have a child seat and a booster seat to install... will the third child (11) will have hip room???

Thanks for your time
Hi. I special ordered a 2020 V90 Inscription T6 (bought, not leased). When it was delivered in June 2020, there were two incentives offered, totaling $3000. I used this to purchase an extended 10 year/100K mile/zero deductible extended warranty. I don't think the Volvo is much different from most cars, particularly concerning the complexity and reliability of the ever-expanding-and-intricate "electronics". Since I intend to keep this car for a number of years (I'm retired and will probably only drive it 7K to 8K miles/year), I elected to purchase the extended warranty. I had never done this before, for any new car purchase, but all of the new and complicated electronics in just about ALL new cars is a concern to me.

·
Registered
363 Posts
FWIW I specially purchased a V90CC with the dual built in boosters. I have twins who will likely be using boosters for a least a couple more years, especially my daughter who is super petite.

My mother in law came up and we went out to dinner in the Volvo. With each kid sitting in the back in the built in booster, my wife (who is 5’7”) was able to comfortably sit in between them in the middle seat.

She even mentioned it was easier getting into the middle of the back then climbing into the third row of the van (we let her mother sit in passenger seat and instead of moving a booster from middle captain chairs to the 3rd row she just climbs back there.

So it would seem 3 smaller boosters would work. Or possibly two normal boosters and a compact one in middle. Car seats on the other hand would be a different story. Boy am I glad those days are over. Giant god awful contraptions that dented seats and took up too much space...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
558 Posts
Start/Stop stopped then never re-started (the app, not the car itself). Battery replaced under warranty fixed it.
If you want to keep replacing batteries, that's fine. But a cheaper way to solve the problem is to get a $120 Ctek battery minder and leave the car plugged in to it whenever you're not using it. Start/stop will only work reliably with an absolutely full secondary battery, and you won't get that with charging off the alternator during normal driving cycles.

·
Registered
806 Posts
If you want to keep replacing batteries, that's fine. But a cheaper way to solve the problem is to get a $120 Ctek battery minder and leave the car plugged in to it whenever you're not using it. Start/stop will only work reliably with an absolutely full secondary battery, and you won't get that with charging off the alternator during normal driving cycles.
Uh...what?

20k miles in, with probably 60% of that being in town, stop-n-go traffic, with the stop/start activated and engaging 30+ times one-way, and have had zero battery problems. If you're needing to put your car on a battery tender to keep the stop/start function operational, then you might have a problem somewhere else.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Giant god awful contraptions that dented seats and took up too much space...
I've come to the conclusion after having to purchase different ones for our two kids, that like a lot of things, it seems that most car seats sold in the US are geared to an American mindset of "bigger is better". As a result, we opted to buy carseats made by non-US manufacturers who's main market is outside the US. That opened up A LOT of more reasonably sized carseats without sacrificing safety.

Early on we bought Recaro carseats (they've since pulled out of the US market), then purchased the Clek Foonf (Canadian) for our youngest. The nice part about the Foonf is that not only is it narrower, it uses the rigid ISOfix latch system that our Volvos are designed for, instead of the ridiculous ISO-belt system 99% of US sold carseats have. Makes install and removal SO much easier and you know it's installed correctly the first time. Our oldest now uses the built-in booster seat, but when in other cars, we have a Volvo booster seat, which I believe is just a rebadged Britax (UK) and again, isn't nearly as bulky and wide as US counterparts.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hello members

Thanks for your time
Since your main question has to do with space, I will chime in on why I think you should consider an XC90 instead. As corrected earlier, the width of the V90 and XC90 are different. The XC90 is *5 inches wider* on the exterior. The ride height of the XC90 may be beneficial for getting kids in and out. The ride height is complimented by increased interior space, notably head, shoulder, and leg room. This really shines when three people or kids are sitting in the middle row. The V90 (also S90 and S60) have a lifted area in the center floor board that takes up significantly more space than the XC90. This can really cramp up the leg room for whomever is sitting in the middle.

The XC90's middle row seats also fold in 40/20/40, whereas the V90 does 60/40. You can comfortably have two child restraint seats in the middle row, and the middle seat between them folded down to give you loads of cargo space that the V90 just doesn't have (think skis, snowboards, fishing poles, paddles, a suitcase, etc etc).

You obviously get the third row seats in the XC90, in case you find yourself having more people. With the third row folded down, the cargo space is night and day compared to the V90. The cargo cover is also a no brainer. The V90's cargo cover is strange and gets in the way more than it covers anything. The XC90's cargo cover is simple and effective.

Also, the XC90, arguably being more car for the money, starts at $3,000 *less* than the V90.

Also, buy the extended warranty or CPO warranty, whichever. If you plan to keep it outside of warranty, it could be extremely beneficial.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
806 Posts
Since your main question has to do with space, I will chime in on why I think you should consider an XC90 instead. As corrected earlier, the width of the V90 and XC90 are different. The XC90 is *5 inches wider* on the exterior. The ride height of the XC90 may be beneficial for getting kids in and out. The ride height is complimented by increased interior space, notably head, shoulder, and leg room. This really shines when three people or kids are sitting in the middle row. The V90 (also S90 and S60) have a lifted area in the center floor board that takes up significantly more space than the XC90. This can really cramp up the leg room for whomever is sitting in the middle.

The XC90's middle row seats also fold in 40/20/40, whereas the V90 does 60/40. You can comfortably have two child restraint seats in the middle row, and the middle seat between them folded down to give you loads of cargo space that the V90 just doesn't have (think skis, snowboards, fishing poles, paddles, a suitcase, etc etc).

You obviously get the third row seats in the XC90, in case you find yourself having more people. With the third row folded down, the cargo space is night and day compared to the V90. The cargo cover is also a no brainer. The V90's cargo cover is strange and gets in the way more than it covers anything. The XC90's cargo cover is simple and effective.

Also, the XC90, arguably being more car for the money, starts at $3,000 *less* than the V90.

Also, buy the extended warranty or CPO warranty, whichever. If you plan to keep it outside of warranty, it could be extremely beneficial.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
The exterior is not the interior though. As I posted earlier, the interior dimensions are not all that different between the V90 and XC90, when looking at the 1st and 2nd rows. Yes, the hump is more prominent in the V90/V90cc. To me the only advantage of the XC90 is if you know you're going to make use of the 3rd row and/or if you know you're going to need the additional VERTICAL cargo space. If not, then the ride and driving characteristics of the V90/V90cc are much more enjoyable. I also prefer the driver's seating position in the V90/V90cc over the XC90.

Not entirely sure what you mean with regards to the cargo covers though. They're basically the same, except the V90/V90cc has the option to be motorized and move up and out of the way. But you can otherwise roll it all the way back and forth, just like the XC90 if you want to.

Capture.JPG

1 - 20 of 25 Posts