SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT -- I called my service department and apparently they opened a case with Volvo. If anyone knows exactly what I should be asking for that would be a big help :)

Hello all,

I've heard rumbling regarding the ride height of V90s with air bag suspensions should be level front and rear, but my ride height has always had a pretty intense rake (in all suspension modes).

I know it is functioning as it raises and lowers when switching drive modes, but I've never seen another in person so I'm asking you all.

Anyone own one or have seen one? Does this look normal? I have heard there is some calibration done when received by the dealer -- something about deflating ballasts which are overinflated while in transit?

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Wheel
Land vehicle Car Alloy wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Wheel

·
Registered
XC40 P8 Recharge Pro AWD
457 Posts
V90/V90CC only has the air suspension at the rear axle.
It’s self levelling, but there is no adjustable ride high, this is for XC60/90 only.
Your car looks a little too high on the rear axle, but this is possible, if the car was on loaded just before, or the underground is uneven and the parking break is in use.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Assuming this is normal and you want to minimize the rake, you can install adjustable links in 5mins to customize the rear ride height.

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Assuming this is normal and you want to minimize the rake, you can install adjustable links in 5mins to customize the rear ride height.

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk
Yes this is normal, and please tell me more about these links!

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
does anyone own a V90 with this setup? would love to hear their thoughts as well!

found this image from AutoGuide of another example with air suspension.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
As TomOldi says, it should be self-leveling, and they're only in the rear on the V90s. Yours does look high in the rear. Mine looks to have same clearance between top of tire and wheel arch, front and back, just as they do on the blue one you posted and on those in images on the Volvo web site. Mine have inflated when I've loaded up the cargo area with bags of mulch and topsoil, then deflated when I've unloaded. I've never noticed any change in height when switching between drive modes (though I've only done that a couple of times). The description for the option on the Volvo website mentions electronically adjusting the firmness of the shocks when changing drive mode, but not changing the ride height. There must be something that is preventing yours from self-leveling. I'd wait to hear from your service dept.

·
Registered
225 Posts
That definitely looks to be quite wrong height-wise... To be honest, every S/V90 with the rear air-suspension I have seen has actually seemed the slightest bit lower in the rear than the front when the car is off. I worked for Volvo for a decent amount of time and all R-Design V90's (all had rear air-suspension) we would order sat very low in the front (2-3cm lower than the front). We also currently have a T6 S90 Inscription and when the car is shut off and locked, the rear deflates a tiny bit, and you can hear the pump letting the air out.

Hopefully the dealer and a Volvo engineer can get to the bottom of this for you!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Does anyone know if a V90 inscription (with air ride suspension in rear) can be raised 2.4 more inches to match the ride height of a CC? I got a great deal on this car but I have always known I would appreciate a few more inches of clearance.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Does anyone know if a V90 inscription (with air ride suspension in rear) can be raised 2.4 more inches to match the ride height of a CC? I got a great deal on this car but I have always known I would appreciate a few more inches of clearance.
I don't think so. I remember reading (somewhere, a couple of years ago) that suspension on V90 vs V90CC is different.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My V90 R-Design has the air suspension and yours definitely looks too high at the back end. Mine is almost completely level when parked, and if I have people in the back seat and they get out, the car automatically adjusts. I'm hoping your dealer can adjust it...or replace the ballasts/air bags to bring it to the correct level.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
I don't think so. I remember reading (somewhere, a couple of years ago) that suspension on V90 vs V90CC is different.
Yes, the CC uses components from the XC90 to get the extra lift. Not sure if they can be swapped.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the info guys!

were at a loss for ideas at the moment.

i might try and check the part number on the links described above, being that these seem to be what determines ride height.

bad sensors maybe?

any ideas welcomed! id hate to have to get aftermarket links to fix the issue...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Are you saying that your dealer's service dept can't figure it out? Even if it's something they've never encountered before, I'd hope they could work with Volvo engineers to diagnose the source of the problem. As I understand it, the links provided above will allow an XC90 owner to adjust their height, but I don't understand how that would fix your failed auto-adjust feature. It seems that the system has six components: a pump to fill the reservoir, a reservoir, a sensor to detect when the height requires adjustment (I don't think left and right function independently so I'm guessing there's just a single sensor), connectors between the sensor and the reservoir/air springs (wherever the valves are that regulates flow between them), and one air spring on either side. If one side were higher than the other, I suppose the problem would be with one of the air springs or possibly a blocked tube through which the air would pass when being returned to the reservoir. But if the height in the rear is same on both sides, I'd guess that it's a faulty sensor or faulty wiring that runs from it to the valves that must be opened to return the air from the springs to the reservoir, or a bad connection at the sensor. I'd think the first step would be to ensure that the sensor is properly connected (wouldn't it be crazy if they look at it and notice no wiring was ever installed). If it is, then I'd think the next step would be to replace the sensor. I'm assuming there are two valves, one on each side that regulates flow between reservoir and springs, and that it's unlikely that both have failed. But if there's one single valve, that might be the culprit, and if changing the sensor doesn't work, then change the valve. I'm guessing the source of the problem is one single device that affects both sides.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Are you saying that your dealer's service dept can't figure it out? Even if it's something they've never encountered before, I'd hope they could work with Volvo engineers to diagnose the source of the problem. As I understand it, the links provided above will allow an XC90 owner to adjust their height, but I don't understand how that would fix your failed auto-adjust feature. It seems that the system has six components: a pump to fill the reservoir, a reservoir, a sensor to detect when the height requires adjustment (I don't think left and right function independently so I'm guessing there's just a single sensor), connectors between the sensor and the reservoir/air springs (wherever the valves are that regulates flow between them), and one air spring on either side. If one side were higher than the other, I suppose the problem would be with one of the air springs or possibly a blocked tube through which the air would pass when being returned to the reservoir. But if the height in the rear is same on both sides, I'd guess that it's a faulty sensor or faulty wiring that runs from it to the valves that must be opened to return the air from the springs to the reservoir, or a bad connection at the sensor. I'd think the first step would be to ensure that the sensor is properly connected (wouldn't it be crazy if they look at it and notice no wiring was ever installed). If it is, then I'd think the next step would be to replace the sensor. I'm assuming there are two valves, one on each side that regulates flow between reservoir and springs, and that it's unlikely that both have failed. But if there's one single valve, that might be the culprit, and if changing the sensor doesn't work, then change the valve. I'm guessing the source of the problem is one single device that affects both sides.
Good input! Im talking with the dealer and I have another service appointment early November, I suppose they can look into it further. My service advisor has the link to this thread which should keep them in the loop. They're great, but haven't encountered this before.

The system "works" -- as in it does adjust height, however the picture I showed is pretty indicative to the normal ride height of the car. I haven't really noticed a difference between left and right, they seem to be fairly close depending on how I'm parked.

When I start the car it pumps up the rear, if I put in in polestar it lowers it slightly, but nothing like what I've seen online of other V90s/air suspension setups. Even if left overnight the FTG (fender to ground) is still way higher than the photos. I mean, the non-air suspension cars are practically tucking tire in the rear.

Heres another photo of a car with air that I was going to purchase before I found mine.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/759190522/overview/

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Audi Alloy wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Trunk Bumper

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Good input! Im talking with the dealer and I have another service appointment early November, I suppose they can look into it further. My service advisor has the link to this thread which should keep them in the loop. They're great, but haven't encountered this before.

The system "works" -- as in it does adjust height, however the picture I showed is pretty indicative to the normal ride height of the car. I haven't really noticed a difference between left and right, they seem to be fairly close depending on how I'm parked.

When I start the car it pumps up the rear, if I put in in polestar it lowers it slightly, but nothing like what I've seen online of other V90s/air suspension setups. Even if left overnight the FTG (fender to ground) is still way higher than the photos. I mean, the non-air suspension cars are practically tucking tire in the rear.

Heres another photo of a car with air that I was going to purchase before I found mine.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/759190522/overview/

View attachment 53115
Yeah, I don't think that car has air bags in the rear (regardless of the listing). That looks like mine, with the leaf spring; and I hate the rear squat, so planning to add thicker spacers at the spring end connections. No airbag rear suspension sits that low unless the car is loaded with 3 biggins in the back seat and beer kegs in the cargo.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
does anyone own a V90 with this setup? would love to hear their thoughts as well!

found this image from AutoGuide of another example with air suspension.

Not rear air bags.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
EDIT -- I called my service department and apparently they opened a case with Volvo. If anyone knows exactly what I should be asking for that would be a big help :)

Hello all,

I've heard rumbling regarding the ride height of V90s with air bag suspensions should be level front and rear, but my ride height has always had a pretty intense rake (in all suspension modes).

I know it is functioning as it raises and lowers when switching drive modes, but I've never seen another in person so I'm asking you all.

Anyone own one or have seen one? Does this look normal? I have heard there is some calibration done when received by the dealer -- something about deflating ballasts which are overinflated while in transit?

View attachment 52893
]
RD on bags looks pretty tall in this CNET review:

[video]https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/reviews/2018-volvo-v90-review/[/video]

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not rear air bags.
As per the Autoguide article --
link

"the V90 we sampled was also equipped with that air suspension, which can shift from Comfort to Sport at the touch of your finger."

Unless they were wrong?? possible...

Yeah, I don't think that car has air bags in the rear (regardless of the listing).
I sat in this car at the dealership and the air suspension was a selling point for them. Did they try selling me a non-air car saying it was an air car? also, possible...

More photos of RD w/air would help me either accept my ride height or have more of a case with volvo.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Here's a bagged RD sitting idle and off; I think a non-bagged in front of it (they apparently have a mixed batch at these press events):

https://jalopnik.com/the-2017-volvo-v90-r-design-lives-up-to-its-looks-1796487510

...or, there's a chance this car has the rear bags but not the sport suspension - ala how you can option the V60 R-Design?

How does you car look when in Dynamic mode? Is there a chance your car does not have the sport suspension set-up, even though it is an R-Design?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts