SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

V90 Polestar to probably get priority over S90 Polestar

17K views 121 replies 26 participants last post by  matt1122 
#1 ·
http://jalopnik.com/volvo-already-has-plans-for-a-polestar-s90-and-v90-may-1745846946

"Following the full-scale presentation of the all new Volvo S90, Volvo confirmed that the sportier-tuned versions of its new flagship sedan and its V90 wagon sibling will be getting the Polestar tuning treatment - possibly with hybrid-electric power.....It was also hinted that we are far more likely to see the V90 Polestar model over the sedan, since the Polestar variation of the S60 and V60 sells best as a wagon."

#4 ·
Hmm, I prefer the wagon myself, but I have to challenge this statement.

The Polestar cars were produced in such limited numbers, I don't know how you can base future demand on this small sales sample. Also, the S60's limited trunk space and rear head room may have contributed to less sales? Those who really wanted such a sedan may have opted for a very competitive and roomier Audi S4, BMW M3 or similar from other manufacturers, than the wagon form. The new S90 will not be hindered by such interior volume limitations as the current S60, so I'd be very careful with this rationale if I were Volvo, especially in the less wagon friendly N. American market.

#5 ·
They are still going to be produced in limited numbers. The reason the wagon outsold the sedan was the market. The V60 P* had no competition in the US. The S60 has tons of competition and was honestly outclassed. It's rarity was all it had over the competition.

#6 ·
I see way more V60 Polestar and Polestar optimized cars in my area than S60. People, particularly the Volvo faithful, love fast wagons. I have yet to actually see an S80 T6 with polestar, come to think of it.

#13 ·
I have yet to actually see an S80 T6 with polestar, come to think of it.
S80 T6 cannot get Polestar due to the size of its front rotors (a little smaller).
That's interesting since you can do the P* tune on T6 XC70's. I guess these came with larger brakes since it's a heavier vehicle?

#8 ·
The E-brake is why ours doesn't have it in the back. They would have had to redesign the entire back end to put larger brakes in. Hard to justify for what was supposed to originally just be 750 cars.

#9 ·
I leased a 15.5 V60 RD, but I would buy a V90 P*. That's why I leased, so that I can wait, and maybe give my V60 to my daughter when she turns 16. #volvofamily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
I've read recently the future of Polestar is electric - so full P* models will use T8's as a starting point. Sounds good but damn these are going to be expensive. You figure the T8 S90 will start ~ 66k, probably need to add 10k (at least) for a P* variant. I guessing R- design will be offered for T6 and maybe T5 models??

#19 ·
True Americans don't like wagons, but volvo drivers or European born-Americans (like me) love wagons.

#114 ·
True Americans don't like wagons, but volvo drivers or European born-Americans (like me) love wagons.

Bull****. I'm a true American and a wagon fanatic. We may be rare, but we certainly exist. FYI, America was filled with station wagons for decades. Don't think Europeans were the only people driving them. The "family cars" of the 1950's thru 1970's were wagons. It wasn't till the 1980's when station wagons fell out of favor.

#22 · (Edited)
Once again, I am a sportwagon fan, but statistics don't lie. The only wagons that sell in the US are Outbacks and the like. Some of your personal observations on your local roads are absolutely meaningless. If I lived in Wilmington NC, I could say I see more battleships than V60 P's. ;). Look there is a reason BMW doesn't sell an M3 wagon here, why Audi abandoned the S4 Avants and doesn't bring the S3 Sportbacks, why Caddillac dropped the CTS wagon. You can flaunt the AMG C63 wagon, but really how many of those are sold per year? Why can't I buy the great C450 AMG or even the C400 wagon here?

Hopefully Volvo will ship future P wagons to the States, but I garantee you that a P* version of the sedan or crossover will outsell them in America.

#32 ·
So NO V60 Ps in Wilmington, since there's only one battleship? Which gives me a great idea. Forget Polestar. I want my V90 enhanced with a SIXTEEN INCH GUN, giving new meaning to the phrase "blow the competition away". They won't notice one of the nine guns missing, will they?:angryfire:

#23 ·
The E63 AMG Wagon is almost as fast as a GT-R... A V90P* will not be anywhere near as fast. And if a V90P* costs over 80k it won't be competitive. Why buy the 80k slower Volvo when the E63 AMG is only 20k more?

#26 ·
There are a lot of reasons not to buy an E63 AMG wagon and plenty of reasons to buy a SPA Volvo.

I find your "only 20k more" comment hilarious. That along with the MB's excess character is a reason a lot of people would buy the Volvo.

People I know who have bought E AMG wagons in the past are NOT people who have unlimited resources.

Volvo can make a car that appeals to driving enthusiasts but is not as excessive as the E63 AMG and it would give wagon enthusiasts an option.

If they're wagon enthusiasts to begin with, they are more likely to lean towards the more practical Volvo than the E63.

Using weight saving composites, an additional electric motor connected to the front wheels, or the KERS flywheel system could easily make a car fast enough to be a comfortable alternative to the E63.

#25 ·
If you're looking at a fast wagon you're a special kind of person. The kind of person who sees twin turbo V8 in a wagon with carbon ceramic brakes and jumps with joy... Fast enough is a relative term. The R I have is fast enough... I still want it to be faster.

#38 ·
Now, does anyone here, really believe that a Polestar SPA wagon of any series would outsell a Polestar SPA XC60? :facepalm:

#39 ·
I do. A Polestar SPA wagon will be far superior to a SPA XC60, so should sell better to a true performance crowd. Again, the XC60 is a much better seller in general, but that is irrelevant for the performance crowd. A crossover is not a good platform for a performance car, whereas a wagon is a great platform. I already brought up how Volvo can't compete on raw power, so will have to win on things like handling, so going with a high center of gravity platform to start with would be an epic fail. Wagons have both low center of gravity and great weight balance.

#40 ·
I read something about a twin turbocharged and supercharged version of the 2.0L a while back that was making something on the order of 450 hp. Would Volvo put that in an S/V90 P*, possibly with the twin-engine setup as well?

#43 ·
I'll just say what I'll be saying two years from now:

"Yeah, I would love a V90, but if I was going to get a fast Sedan I'd probably buy a BMW M instead."

I know I'm not the only one with that attitude.

#46 · (Edited)
It is about the entire package and at what price? What does an M5 cost? In the high $90Ks? Plus, I would not see an S60P competing w/ M5 or even E63...

#44 ·
My opinion on this is: build it, it will sell. It is on-demand limited volume anyways.
Like V60 P* sells, S60 P* also sells, maybe a little less, but P* is halo anyways.
The powertrain is shared between sedan and wagon anyways. Building a Polestar S90 is not a lot effort once V90 P* is done.

I'd say P* optimization pkg will be more interesting to market. If it sells good then it is profit to Volvo with no extra cost, based on existing P* R&D result.

#67 ·
For the record, there was an E34 M5 wagon in the euro market.

#71 ·
The Cayenne is an excellent SUV and I wasn't trying to say that it wasn't. What I was saying is that it is not a performance car. The GTS is the closest it gets. When compared against other SUV's, absolutely, but not when compared against an actual performance car. The vast majority of Cayenne owners are existing 911 owners, who before had to go elsewhere for their SUV needs, most likely Audi. When someone has a sole purpose of buying a performance car, they are not going to settle for a Cayenne or Macan. The only person who would do that is a 911 owner who needs more room and rightfully thinks the Panamera is hideous and won't buy anything but Porsche and that person just has no common sense.

#72 ·
No, because the Cayenne isn't a car.

It's an SUV.

That makes it a performance SUV. :p

Also, I think the Panamera is beautiful.

#73 · (Edited)
No, because the Cayenne isn't a car.

It's an SUV.

That makes it a performance SUV. [emoji14]

Also, I think the Panamera is beautiful.
Thank you Capt Obvious. The point is a Performance SUV is not a replacement for a Performance Car. It is a good supplement to one. Plus only the GTS and Turbo are Performance SUV's.

In regards to the Panamera, we are all entitled to our own opinion, but yours in definitely in the minority. Even the former Porsche CEO, now VW head, admitted it was ugly, http://www.businessinsider.com/porsche-ceo-admits-the-panamera-is-ugly-2014-10.

"As a result, there are as many people who appreciate the car's performance capabilities as there are those who abhor its awkwardly proportioned, Quasimodo-esque looks. However, for the first time, even the car's creators admit it lacks something in the aesthetics department."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.