SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://jalopnik.com/volvo-already-has-plans-for-a-polestar-s90-and-v90-may-1745846946

"Following the full-scale presentation of the all new Volvo S90, Volvo confirmed that the sportier-tuned versions of its new flagship sedan and its V90 wagon sibling will be getting the Polestar tuning treatment - possibly with hybrid-electric power.....It was also hinted that we are far more likely to see the V90 Polestar model over the sedan, since the Polestar variation of the S60 and V60 sells best as a wagon."

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
A fast wagon is the wild way to go. :) Polestar S90 is also good. Hope they can roll it out sooner.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
Bring on the V90 Polestar!

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
http://jalopnik.com/volvo-already-has-plans-for-a-polestar-s90-and-v90-may-1745846946

"Following the full-scale presentation of the all new Volvo S90, Volvo confirmed that the sportier-tuned versions of its new flagship sedan and its V90 wagon sibling will be getting the Polestar tuning treatment - possibly with hybrid-electric power.....It was also hinted that we are far more likely to see the V90 Polestar model over the sedan, since the Polestar variation of the S60 and V60 sells best as a wagon."
Hmm, I prefer the wagon myself, but I have to challenge this statement.

The Polestar cars were produced in such limited numbers, I don't know how you can base future demand on this small sales sample. Also, the S60's limited trunk space and rear head room may have contributed to less sales? Those who really wanted such a sedan may have opted for a very competitive and roomier Audi S4, BMW M3 or similar from other manufacturers, than the wagon form. The new S90 will not be hindered by such interior volume limitations as the current S60, so I'd be very careful with this rationale if I were Volvo, especially in the less wagon friendly N. American market.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, I prefer the wagon myself, but I have to challenge this statement.

The Polestar cars were produced in such limited numbers, I don't know how you can base future demand on this small sales sample. Also, the S60's limited trunk space and rear head room may have contributed to less sales? Those who really wanted such a sedan may have opted for a very competitive and roomier Audi S4, BMW M3 or similar from other manufacturers, than the wagon form. The new S90 will not be hindered by such interior volume limitations as the current S60, so I'd be very careful with this rationale if I were Volvo, especially in the less wagon friendly N. American market.
They are still going to be produced in limited numbers. The reason the wagon outsold the sedan was the market. The V60 P* had no competition in the US. The S60 has tons of competition and was honestly outclassed. It's rarity was all it had over the competition.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I see way more V60 Polestar and Polestar optimized cars in my area than S60. People, particularly the Volvo faithful, love fast wagons. I have yet to actually see an S80 T6 with polestar, come to think of it.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
They better put brembos in all 4 corners for the V90P... 2000kg is a heavy car.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They better put brembos in all 4 corners for the V90P... 2000kg is a heavy car.
The E-brake is why ours doesn't have it in the back. They would have had to redesign the entire back end to put larger brakes in. Hard to justify for what was supposed to originally just be 750 cars.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I leased a 15.5 V60 RD, but I would buy a V90 P*. That's why I leased, so that I can wait, and maybe give my V60 to my daughter when she turns 16. #volvofamily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I have yet to actually see an S80 T6 with polestar, come to think of it.
S80 T6 cannot get Polestar due to the size of its front rotors (a little smaller).

·
Registered
985 Posts
I've read recently the future of Polestar is electric - so full P* models will use T8's as a starting point. Sounds good but damn these are going to be expensive. You figure the T8 S90 will start ~ 66k, probably need to add 10k (at least) for a P* variant. I guessing R- design will be offered for T6 and maybe T5 models??

·
Registered
985 Posts
I have yet to actually see an S80 T6 with polestar, come to think of it.
S80 T6 cannot get Polestar due to the size of its front rotors (a little smaller).
That's interesting since you can do the P* tune on T6 XC70's. I guess these came with larger brakes since it's a heavier vehicle?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
You mean optimalisation? It can get.
Yes, optimization. And the S80s have the same sized rotors as the XC70s. It's the same car overall, just sans tailgate. But yet, there is no listing for it on the Polestar website, so there may be some truth to what he said.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, optimization. And the S80s have the same sized rotors as the XC70s. It's the same car overall, just sans tailgate. But yet, there is no listing for it on the Polestar website, so there may be some truth to what he said.
Polestar posted this a while ago...

Dear Michael,

There is unfortunately no optimisation available for the S80 T6 in the US due to differences in technical specifications between markets.

Kind regards,
Polestar

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
That 'splains it. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I see way more V60 Polestar and Polestar optimized cars in my area than S60. People, particularly the Volvo faithful, love fast wagons. I have yet to actually see an S80 T6 with polestar, come to think of it.
The only Polestar I've seen in the wild was and S60, and at the dealership. Never on the road. It doesn't sound like you've seen that many either, so I find it hard to base a real future demand opinion on a few cars sighted.

Someone do a comparison between MY15-15.5 S60RD and V60RD, I bet way more S60 sold. Merica does not like wagons...period!

·
Registered
127 Posts
True Americans don't like wagons, but volvo drivers or European born-Americans (like me) love wagons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The only Polestar I've seen in the wild was and S60, and at the dealership. Never on the road. It doesn't sound like you've seen that many either, so I find it hard to base a real future demand opinion on a few cars sighted.

Someone do a comparison between MY15-15.5 S60RD and V60RD, I bet way more S60 sold. Merica does not like wagons...period!
The V60 wasn't available until MY15.5. I see more V60RD around me. I have seen 6 V60P*'s and Zero S60P*'s so far.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts