SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

V90 model makes appearance...

12K views 83 replies 22 participants last post by  CrossingCountries 
#1 · (Edited)
#4 · (Edited)
I like it. The raked rear doesn't bother me that much. The key thing - in my mind - is that the roof-line doesn't slope down as badly as it does on the current V60. Therefore the cargo carrying capacity shouldn't be as badly compromised as it is with the V60.

As an aside, this is the second new Volvo that has been outed in model form by the Chinese. Can't be a coincidence.

Tony

#5 ·
Volvo head of sales Alain Visser actually said he wished that the original model form leak of the S90 was his idea, so it could well be that for the V90 it was....

I think it looks great.

Not surprised by the raked rear, as this is designed to be a luxury machine, not a utility machine like the current V70. Perhaps the coming V60 will have a straighter rear as it is mean to grow in the next generation.

I have to say that it in its overall dimensions and stance looks a fair bit like the BMW 5 series touring. As I speculated/noted in an earlier thread.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?237855-Concept-Estate-Inspired-Wagon-Revealed

I like that they went for the distinctive upside-down question mark style rear lights, like the Concept XC and the Concept Estate. That will stand out.

Agree with you on the roofline -not too easy to tell from these pictures, but I get the impression that it is very straight, considerably more so than Audi A6 avant or the BMW Touring, but they have cleverly made it look more sloping/dynamic looking through the upward sloping belt-line and the narrowing windows. I think the trunk will also be surprisingly large, as the thick D-pillar disguises just how long it is. Similar trick as done for the XC60.

All in all I think it will be a great looking car, great proportions and some distinctive styling inside and out. Pure outline and styling wise I prefer it to what I've seen of the S90 but I prefer wagons anyways...
I reckon it will be a smashing success at least in Europe. Now - how do Volvo get Americans to love wagons again?

#7 ·
On that scale, perhaps.

These small models are missing a lot of great elements of the upcoming cars. Once you see them in the flesh (or in the official release pictures), you will notice that these small models do not do them any justice.

#14 · (Edited)
I like this more than S90. The tail gate is almost same as the Concept Estate.
It is still relatively conservative because the hip line from rear door handle to tail is still traditional, not as sharp as the Concept Saloon.

The shape is also very similar to Audi Allroad. The lines look much stronger though.
Audi Allroad and BMW 5-series wagon both have the raked real window. So I guess it is going to be head-on competition now, instead of a box end that seems older style in many people's eyes.

Overall looks pretty good.

For comparison with the mock, the hip line looks pretty good on it:

#20 ·

Start saving...

[emoji1179] XC70 2011 D5 [emoji1179]
Sold! I LOVE the speed and fun factor of my V60 R Design, but that V90 XC would enable me to maintain my wagon-quirkiness while getting some kick-@ss aesthetics and enough off road functionality for my occasional SoCal purposes.

#32 ·
Yes, definitely eye of the beholder with that frumpy beast. I think you and I are 180 degrees opposite with most opinions. ;)

#54 ·
So this Forum has degenerated into making Posts about 'model' cars whose legitimacy may or not be?
Enough said, show me a full size XC70 with AWD Drive-E engine that gets great gas mileage and I might look,
other wise Volvo is a dead brand to me.-Richard

#58 ·
One last thought, I find no information available on the Volvo site of the electric range, charging stations, voltage options, equivalent gas mileage of the T8 XC90?-Richard

#61 ·
That will all come out in the very near future. At any rate, all Volvo Plug In Hybrid models will be able to be charged at either 110V or 220V (faster charge).

#65 · (Edited)
de·gen·er·ate (dĭ-jĕn′ər-ĭt)
adj.
1. Having declined, as in function or nature, from a former or original state: a degenerate form of an ancient folk art.
2. Morally corrupt or given to vice.
3. Physics Relating to two or more quantum states that share the same quantum numbers: degenerate energy levels.
4. Physics Characterized by great density and consisting of atoms stripped of electrons: degenerate matter.
5. Medicine Characterized by degeneration, as of tissue, a cell, or an organ.
6. Biology Having lost one or more highly developed functions, characteristics, or structures through evolution: a degenerate life form.
7. Genetics Relating to or being a gene that has multiple codons for the same amino acid.

Maybe he meant downgraded or derated or perhaps x-rated...xc-rated?

[emoji1179] XC70 2011 D5 [emoji1236]

#66 ·
de·gen·er·ate (dĭ-jĕn′ər-ĭt)
adj.
1. Having declined, as in function or nature, from a former or original state: a degenerate form of an ancient folk art.
2. Morally corrupt or given to vice.
3. Physics Relating to two or more quantum states that share the same quantum numbers: degenerate energy levels.
4. Physics Characterized by great density and consisting of atoms stripped of electrons: degenerate matter.
5. Medicine Characterized by degeneration, as of tissue, a cell, or an organ.
6. Biology Having lost one or more highly developed functions, characteristics, or structures through evolution: a degenerate life form.
7. Genetics Relating to or being a gene that has multiple codons for the same amino acid.

[emoji1179] XC70 2011 D5 [emoji1236]
But you say it like it's BAD!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.