SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I was hoping the tailgate would be more vertical, like on the v70...

·
Registered
420 Posts
I like it. The raked rear doesn't bother me that much. The key thing - in my mind - is that the roof-line doesn't slope down as badly as it does on the current V60. Therefore the cargo carrying capacity shouldn't be as badly compromised as it is with the V60.

As an aside, this is the second new Volvo that has been outed in model form by the Chinese. Can't be a coincidence.

Tony

·
Registered
147 Posts
I like it. The raked rear doesn't bother me that much. The key thing - in my mind - is that the roof-line doesn't slope down as badly as it does on the current V60. Therefore the cargo carrying capacity shouldn't be as badly compromised as it is with the V60.

As an aside, this is the second new Volvo that has been outed in model form by the Chinese. Can't be a coincidence.

Tony
Volvo head of sales Alain Visser actually said he wished that the original model form leak of the S90 was his idea, so it could well be that for the V90 it was....

I think it looks great.

Not surprised by the raked rear, as this is designed to be a luxury machine, not a utility machine like the current V70. Perhaps the coming V60 will have a straighter rear as it is mean to grow in the next generation.

I have to say that it in its overall dimensions and stance looks a fair bit like the BMW 5 series touring. As I speculated/noted in an earlier thread.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?237855-Concept-Estate-Inspired-Wagon-Revealed

I like that they went for the distinctive upside-down question mark style rear lights, like the Concept XC and the Concept Estate. That will stand out.

Agree with you on the roofline -not too easy to tell from these pictures, but I get the impression that it is very straight, considerably more so than Audi A6 avant or the BMW Touring, but they have cleverly made it look more sloping/dynamic looking through the upward sloping belt-line and the narrowing windows. I think the trunk will also be surprisingly large, as the thick D-pillar disguises just how long it is. Similar trick as done for the XC60.

All in all I think it will be a great looking car, great proportions and some distinctive styling inside and out. Pure outline and styling wise I prefer it to what I've seen of the S90 but I prefer wagons anyways...
I reckon it will be a smashing success at least in Europe. Now - how do Volvo get Americans to love wagons again?

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Looks much nicer than S90
On that scale, perhaps.

These small models are missing a lot of great elements of the upcoming cars. Once you see them in the flesh (or in the official release pictures), you will notice that these small models do not do them any justice.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
On that scale, perhaps.

These small models are missing a lot of great elements of the upcoming cars. Once you see them in the flesh (or in the official release pictures), you will notice that these small models do not do them any justice.
I was hoping as much. The beltline and sides are lacking character/too conservative, like the XC90.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I may have missed this in the back and forth in all the SPA threads and rumors, but has Volvo come out and stated the US will get the V90 100%? Or is this going to be a let down once it's announced?

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I may have missed this in the back and forth in all the SPA threads and rumors, but has Volvo come out and stated the US will get the V90 100%? Or is this going to be a let down once it's announced?
All of Volvo's new lineup is being built for global deliveries.

·
Registered
695 Posts
No. Volvo will wait 3 years before introducing V90 in the US and lose 1,000's of sales as usual. Remember, us US folks don't like wagons. I am a formerly frustrated now happy '15 V60 owner who begged for it in '11. Probably would be into my second V60 by now...

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I beg to differ:

I love my car and it is beautiful but let's not get caught up in Volvo hyperbole. There have been so many gorgeous estate cars in history that naming one that hasn't come out yet and is just okay looking and one that is a year old as the best designs "ever" is a bit much. Design is subjective so there will never be a consensus on a "best" design. SOme people prefer the classics, some prefer modern cars.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I like this more than S90. The tail gate is almost same as the Concept Estate.
It is still relatively conservative because the hip line from rear door handle to tail is still traditional, not as sharp as the Concept Saloon.

The shape is also very similar to Audi Allroad. The lines look much stronger though.
Audi Allroad and BMW 5-series wagon both have the raked real window. So I guess it is going to be head-on competition now, instead of a box end that seems older style in many people's eyes.

Overall looks pretty good.

For comparison with the mock, the hip line looks pretty good on it:

·
Registered
147 Posts
On that scale, perhaps.

That may be so, but if you, like me prefer the wagon shape to a sedan shape, purely aestetically, are there any advantages to a sedan over a wagon? An S90 over a V90? I'm asking seriously! I may have noticed something called a Jaguar XF, but only when I saw a Jaguar XF estate today did my head turn. A well crafted estate has long sleek lines AND amazing practicality. What advantages does a sedan have?

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
That may be so, but if you, like me prefer the wagon shape to a sedan shape, purely aestetically, are there any advantages to a sedan over a wagon? An S90 over a V90? I'm asking seriously! I may have noticed something called a Jaguar XF, but only when I saw a Jaguar XF estate today did my head turn. A well crafted estate has long sleek lines AND amazing practicality. What advantages does a sedan have?
I think GV was saying the real S90 looks much better than the toy car. He was not comparing sedan versus wagon.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts

Start saving...again so much better than the XC90... Like always...

The 90 always lost it from the 70 as far as looks. Again XC90 will eat V90XC dust. I will still call it 2017 XC70.

XC70 2011 D5

1 - 20 of 84 Posts