SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed something on the Volvo configurator. Only the V90 Cross Country has the tinted windows from factory. When you build a either an R-Design or an Inscription, the windows are not tinted. I thought this was maybe a mistake, but when I looked at used V90 Inscription and R-Design pics, they don’t have tinted windows. How strange.

Why does Volvo only give tinted windows to the Cross Country?

·
Registered
822 Posts
I noticed something on the Volvo configurator. Only the V90 Cross Country has the tinted windows from factory. When you build a either an R-Design or an Inscription, the windows are not tinted. I thought this was maybe a mistake, but when I looked at used V90 Inscription and R-Design pics, they don’t have tinted windows. How strange.

Because it's the law.

Cars are subject to pretty strict factory tint regulations.

"Light trucks" are exempt from these regulations, which is why SUV's from the factory often have dark tints.

I'm guessing - as crazy as it sounds - that the V90CC has been classified as a "light truck" on account of it being a crossover.

·
Registered
118 Posts
They're also laminated on all sides, not only tinted

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because it's the law.

Cars are subject to pretty strict factory tint regulations.

"Light trucks" are exempt from these regulations, which is why SUV's from the factory often have dark tints.

I'm guessing - as crazy as it sounds - that the V90CC has been classified as a "light truck" on account of it being a crossover.
Very interesting! I guess our Honda Odyssey and Toyota Venza are also “light trucks” as both have factory tint.

This sounds like another suspect DOT law. Kind of irrational. Especially when aftermarket tint is allowed on the back and rear side windows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
In Maine we can tint all around. There is a limit to how dark the front windows can be. I tinted my s90 all windows except windshield. Done by a local tint shop that does flawless work, 240.00. Looks great on a white car

·
Registered
30 Posts
My Dodge Magnum had factory tinted back seat / luggage compartment windows. I actually failed inspection last year in NC because of it; I had to go out and prove that they were factory tinted, and not something that I'd applied. It was funny, because the same shop had passed me the year before, with the same windows.

I really miss having them in my R-Design. I'm actually somewhat tempted to see if a local glass shop could order a set of V90CC replacement windows and install them, for that "factory" look, but I'd imagine it's prohibitively expensive.

In the meantime, I've installed a set of the Volvo sunshades, which does help a little bit with the luggage compartment area when the windows are in direct sunlight.

·
Registered
822 Posts
In Maine we can tint all around. There is a limit to how dark the front windows can be. I tinted my s90 all windows except windshield. Done by a local tint shop that does flawless work, 240.00. Looks great on a white car
Yeah, different states have different rules on this when it comes to aftermarket.

DOT only seems to care about how cars ship new from the factory. I'm not sure why "light trucks" are treated differently from cars, but it may just be a peculiarity regarding how the regulation was written. A lot of regulations were circumvented by the industry when SUV's first became popular because a lot of the regulstions were written with the word "cars".

I've never tinted any car I've owned. I've never really seen the purpose.

I do admit I find it frustrating when I can't see through other vehicles to the other side to get advanced notice of what is going on in traffic on the other side.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Light trucks have lower safety and emissions requirements than "passenger vehicles". Many manufacturers strive to get vehicles classified as trucks in order to cut corners and save a few bucks, especially with SUVs and crossovers. Really blatant examples of this were the Chrysler PT Cruiser and a similar Chevy the name of which I don't recall.

Volvo does not play this game. Neither does Subaru, at least not with the Outbacks.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I remember when I finally bought my first (and only) Cadillac. 2008. 'Everyone' on the Cadillac forum were talking about the window tint they were going to get and what the maximum tint was. My comment was that I waiting 60 years to be able to afford a Caddy so I want people to see who's driving. Pretty much the same for the V90 OR and the CLS I drive.

·
Registered
646 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
I remember when I finally bought my first (and only) Cadillac. 2008. 'Everyone' on the Cadillac forum were talking about the window tint they were going to get and what the maximum tint was. My comment was that I waiting 60 years to be able to afford a Caddy so I want people to see who's driving. Pretty much the same for the V90 OR and the CLS I drive.
I'm not going to lie. I think cars tend to look more attractive with darker windows.

That, and I've never been one to try to seek attention for myself, so I am just as happy behind darker windows.

That said, I'd be concerned about night time driving in the dark. That, and I like to be able to see through other peoples cars. It helps immensely to know what the cat two cars up infront of you is doing, so you can plan ahead. I see tinting as a bit of a safety hazard.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Because it's the law.
Are you suggesting that it is the law that they must be tinted?

States have laws that establish minimum Visible Light Transmission, that can vary for windshield, front side, rear side and back windows, and based on class of vehicle, but I'm not aware of laws requiring tinting.

I've thought the CC windows are tinted for the same reason they have wheel well flares -- it produces a more rugged outdoorsy look. They only tint the rear side and back windows because most, if not all, states have stricter limits on level of tinting allowable on front side windows and windshield.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Are you suggesting that it is the law that they must be tinted?
No, that there are DOT regulations that limit the amount of tint on cars from the factory, and that "light trucks" are exempt from these regulations, and many (most?) crossovers and SUV's have been categorized as light trucks.

·
Registered
795 Posts
LOL. my father was the same way. It was his way of showing other people he was now hob-knobing with the guber smuchers. Then he complained how much it was to maintain his MB.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm guessing there is a 'mild' tint from the factory, however, I had the dealer tint mine before delivery. 20 on the rears and cargo area and 35 on the front seat windows. I will add that on all my previous cars, I kept the moonroof sunshade closed at all times. On the V90, I leave it open 90% of the time. If it's closed, it's typically because the auto-closure closes it. First time that happened I thought I had gone crazy!
I think I've attached a picture below...we'll see. The rear seat blinds are up as well.

View attachment 69685

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Yeah, I ran a few V90's and CC's through the volvotechinfo VIN decoder and the V90's come back as passenger vehicles while the CC is coded as a MPV - Multi Purpose Vehicle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm guessing there is a 'mild' tint from the factory, however, I had the dealer tint mine before delivery. 20 on the rears and cargo area and 35 on the front seat windows. I will add that on all my previous cars, I kept the moonroof sunshade closed at all times. On the V90, I leave it open 90% of the time. If it's closed, it's typically because the auto-closure closes it. First time that happened I thought I had gone crazy!
I think I've attached a picture below...we'll see. The rear seat blinds are up as well.

View attachment 69685
Let's see if I can actually insert the picture...

View attachment 69689

1 - 19 of 19 Posts