SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I don't know to what degree, but the main things that change are ......AWD response.......
What is your basis for saying AWD changes? Only Polestar Optimization changes this, but maybe you are referring to that. A cart without Polestar can not have the AWD characteristics changed, even by drive model.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
While it lists the AWD as a changeable adjustment at the beginning of the manual page, you will see it is not listed under any of the Comfort/Eco/Dynamic as listed in the manual. This is because it is only adjustable with the the Polestar Optimization, something not covered on that page. So yes, it is adjustable with Drive Mode, but none of the standard drive modes.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Perhaps. Here's another page. No mention of Polestar. It would make sense for AWD to operate one way in Econ and Comfort, differently in Dynamic and differently again in Off Road. In any event this is not a big deal. Does anyone know if Volvo's AWD uses torque vectoring?

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Perhaps. Here's another page. No mention of Polestar. It would make sense for AWD to operate one way in Econ and Comfort, differently in Dynamic and differently again in Off Road. In any event this is not a big deal. Does anyone know if Volvo's AWD uses torque vectoring?

The system provides torque vectoring by braking a spinning wheel and transferring rogue back into the awd system to other wheels with more traction. The car also toque vectors (to a degree) in a corner by dragging the inside brakes to create an artificial over speed of the outside wheels to aid in turn-in behaviors. It can not, however, torque vector by over driving one wheel through the use of a differential that has each rear driveshaft controlled by a separate clutch pack. It is a more simplistic system than those with separate clutch packs primarily designed to increase prune-in during very aggressive driving or track excursions. I think Volvo finds the need for such a system is not requested by most of its owners, and the benefit is lower cost, weight and fewer parts (like clutches) to subject to failure.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thanks. I was pretty sure that Volvo uses a simpler system because the ads and literature never brag about it. :)

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Thanks. I was pretty sure that Volvo uses a simpler system because the ads and literature never brag about it. :)
Volvo’s system by Haldex is used in bazillions of cars, and it’s a great system. Some systems are very capable, but it’s only in the most limited of circumstances or in a race track (and they cost a lot to build). Sure if you own a 600 hp super car it makes sense at some of these torque lecturing systems available are really more about advertising and marketing hype. I will say the Volvo system works better than some because of all those break designs are very powerful and have the capability to apply a break hard enough to force power to be vectored. I’ve seen some cars that brakes are sized so small they don’t have enough clamping force to direct very much torque to another wheel. It all looks the same on paper but it’s functions differently in the real world

·
Registered
911 Posts
I think there's some confusion here. The SPA V90 uses a 5th generation Borg-Warner (aka: Haldex) system. That system controls a central differential to send power front to rear (up to 50% to the rear, in theory). That is different from, but works with, the torque vectoring by braking system.

And yes, the different drive modes DO change how the Haldex system actuates and balances front to rear power transfer.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I think there's some confusion here. The SPA V90 uses a 5th generation Borg-Warner (aka: Haldex) system. That system controls a central differential to send power front to rear (up to 50% to the rear, in theory). That is different from, but works with, the torque vectoring by braking system.

And yes, the different drive modes DO change how the Haldex system actuates and balances front to rear power transfer.
What is the confusion on the AWD system and its functioning? Do you have documentation that provides insight on how AWD is distributed differently in drive modes? I have never see ANYTHING outside of the Polestar Optimization or traction control logic that changes with a different drive mode. Can you elaborate on what you mean?

·
Registered
911 Posts
You probably haven't seen anything, because it's not a fixed value. The Haldex system is constantly responsive to driving conditions and inputs (steering, wheel speed/slip, throttle, etc.). So, cruising down the highway on a sunny 70 degree day in "Eco" it can sit around 95/5 (f/r). Change that drive to "Eco" on a 25 degree snowy day where you're romping the throttle and it can still distribute the power up to 50/50 as needed.

The drive modes simply change how quickly and to what extent the Haldex actuates power to the rear axle under given conditions, to return a particular driving experience/feel and fuel consumption.

"Off-road" locks the system in 50/50
"Eco" biases the system to FWD (but will still send power to the rear based on driving conditions and throttle position).
"Comfort" also biases to FWD, but more readily engages the rear axle.
"Dynamic"/"Polestar" are the quickest to engage and transfer power rearward.

Disengaging the traction control also changes how quickly power is shifted.

One thing I've seen confused before is around Polestar Optimization. It engages and sends power rearward the MOST readily, but....that should not be confused with saying that the Polestar Optimization allows for rear bias. The Haldex system cannot deliver more than 50% to the rear no matter what you do. And Volvo tried REALLY hard to sort of make it sound like the Polestar Optimization introduces a rear-bias, but if you read it again, it's not saying that at all.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I think we are confusing my statement on what is "adjustable"...... Pushing a button to make a permanent adjustment is different than software that changes the possibilities of the way an adjustment is made.

I guess my point was, driving in a straight line down a road at 55 mph and changing from Eco to Dynamic doesn't actually physically cause an immediate change to the AWD system. It's changes how it CAN make a change when road conditions change, but just driving down the road cruising....there is no "change" in how the AWD system is operating at the moment of the button push.

I completely agree with all of your assessments, but again....it's all just based on how Haldex works, there is no actual documentation that really tells us exactly what it does. A 50/50 split is the maximum amount of power that can go to the rear for sure.

·
Registered
2019 V90 CC D5
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thanks for all the inputs so far troops. I have contacted the dealership for info and pricing on both installing the drive mode switch and upgrading to polestar optimization. I will revert with info.

·
Registered
667 Posts
That roller dial is one of the big negatives on my list of many negatives involving Sensus and the controls for the V90 Cross Country. It's in a bad location for the driving when driving and it's a horrible design: I find that the roller often "slips" so that I hit the incorrect drive mode (from the one I wanted). You can change drive mode in the crappy Sensus screen, also. What Volvo should have done is put the thing as a dial on the steering wheel (as Porsche does). I would not complain if it's not there because I find changing drive mode in the crappy Sensus screen to be easier and more convenient, ironically.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
What Volvo should have done is put the thing as a dial on the steering wheel (as Porsche does). I would not complain if it's not there because I find changing drive mode in the crappy Sensus screen to be easier and more convenient, ironically.
It's partially done for looks, and it does add appeal to the cabin. But no.....it's not going on the steering wheel. You realize this is a function that 90% of drivers never have used. Probably over 90% of owners have never changed out of comfort mode. It's certainly not going to take a prominent position on the steering wheel as a hard button. As far as the "crappy Sensus screen"......it's one of the best systems I have ever used (and I've used about all of them). It's not perfect, but calling it "crappy" is just hyperbole. It literally has won awards for machine/human interface design and has been lauded by many influential reviews as one of the best in the system. How people can make such a big deal about Sensus baffles me. Clearly you have never used MBUX or MMI and gotten lost in the sub menus 7 layers deep.....

·
Registered
250 Posts
Almost every review of a recent Volvo that I have read has complained about using Sensus to control basic functions like audio and climate control. I agree that many others are worse, but that does not make Sensus good. I would go back to the previous set of buttons and knobs in a heartbeat and miss nothing but the larger navigation screen.

·
Registered
2019 V90 CC D5
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Wow I really like sensus actually. I do find that touch screens in general are hard to use while driving and almost certainly are dangerous when compared to buttons which you can feel around with your hands without looking when you get used to them. As touch screens go I find sensus great. My old man has a vw and the touch screen is an abomination. Others I have used are terrible too. Also the cabin of the v90 looks absolutely slick. The older volvo interiors looked awful with all the buttons. They reminded me of a 60s spacecraft.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Wow I really like sensus actually. I do find that touch screens in general are hard to use while driving and almost certainly are dangerous when compared to buttons which you can feel around with your hands without looking when you get used to them. As touch screens go I find sensus great. My old man has a vw and the touch screen is an abomination. Others I have used are terrible too. Also the cabin of the v90 looks absolutely slick. The older volvo interiors looked awful with all the buttons. They reminded me of a 60s spacecraft.
Agree:) But only if this 2019 and up volvo .2016 spa to 2018 its slow at times and deff in some times unusable. 2019 and up cars its perfect

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Almost every review of a recent Volvo that I have read has complained about using Sensus to control basic functions like audio and climate control.
I'll never understand this. It's automatic climate control.....you set it once and forget it. Literally, I adjust my climate control once a week. Why in the world would I need to have it occupy a bunch of space on the screen or have dedicated physical buttons. HVAC is visible at all times at the bottom, it's just so simple. I don't fiddle with it all day, so why would I need it to be different? The audio is controlled from the steering wheel. The number of times I need to control the audio function that is not offered from the steering wheel is like once a day. Again, why would I want it to be different for such an unused function? If pressing a button twice to turn on heated seats ruins your ownership experience I can guarantee you you're never gonna like any automobile....ever.

My mom and dad are approaching 70, and then have zero complaints and have mastered the system in a week of ownership. Try saying that about MBUX or MMI or all these other systems. For every "complaint" about Sensus there are 1,000 compliments about Sensus. If it's in the screen, there should be more hard buttons. If there are hard buttons there are too many not in the screen. Literally, people have to complain about EVERYTHING. Sensus is100% fully function in less than 5 seconds after start up. If you can't wait 5 seconds of your life for booting computers, you need to reevaluate your priorities. Its' not perfect, but it's really close to it. Seriously, what other systems are people using that are so superior to Sensus? I've used or owned all of the nearly, and not a single one comes to mind.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I love Sensus and find it very intuitive when compared to other competitive systems (BMW example).
But I would have definitely appreciated some physical buttons that can be configured with functions chosen by the customer.
For example when approaching in a tight area, I find it very inconvenient and slow to scroll and search for the 360 camera button.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts