SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been debating on buying a 2018 V90 CC, but the one I've found has the OEM 19in wheels which seem to have one single tire option available: the not-so-great Pirelli's that it ships with from the factory.

Does anyone have any experience putting a slightly different size tire on the 19in wheels to open up the tire options list just a bit more?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have found a few options at costco and tire rack, but its definitely limited... Anyone found pretty good All Seasons? Ride, Noise, and grip are my main concerns (ya know, like 3 out of the 5 things anyone cares about withe tires...)

·
Registered
81 Posts
the pirellis are terrible, look in the forum and you'll see a lot of posts about it. Costco doesn't have anything for 19" unless you're willing to go down in the load range from XL (not sure if they'll install it). Tirerack shows a khumo all season, and another good brand for summer performance and winter.

the 20" have better options but I've not been able to find take off wheels that size. also do consider the ride quality going into 20"

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've been debating on buying a 2018 V90 CC, but the one I've found has the OEM 19in wheels which seem to have one single tire option available: the not-so-great Pirelli's that it ships with from the factory.

Does anyone have any experience putting a slightly different size tire on the 19in wheels to open up the tire options list just a bit more?
I have a 2017 Volvo V90 CC and they came with 235/50R19 Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season. I’m happy with them until they last. FYI switch to Nokia R2 SUV during winters even in a New York. Firm believer in winter tires during the cold and winter months.

I looked at Tirerack and the options for the 2019s you can use a 255/40R19. I was thinking of getting the Michelin Primacy Tour A/S, once these Pirellis are done.

At the end it depends on your priority, for me it’s 1. Comfort and Noise 2. Handling in dry/wet conditions in that order

·
Registered
9 Posts
So do most people with 19s switch to 255s? I'm honestly surprised that there isn't more discussion on this... Does everyone just stick with the (mediocre) Pirellis?

·
Registered
90 Posts
So do most people with 19s switch to 255s? I'm honestly surprised that there isn't more discussion on this... Does everyone just stick with the (mediocre) Pirellis?

Can’t speak for everybody but the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season has been good to me so far. I switch Nokian R2 in the winters.

Depends on your rim width. I’m sure you can search on the web/google how to calculate tire dimensions. Mine came in 19x7.5 wheels.

·
Registered
318 Posts
What are the main complaints with the Pirelli’s? I’ve had mine since buying the car in 2017 and really have no issues with them. I switch to Nokian’s in the winter, so all I care about is summer handling. I find the Pirelli’s quiet, smooth riding, and comfortable, if not perhaps the best handling under aggressive load. For this car though, they seem to work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
We've been happy with the OEM Scorpions on our '18 CC. Perhaps the poor opinions are based on the older version of the tire?

As for moving to a 255mm tread width, you have to be careful with your wheel width. I believe the 19" OEM wheels are 7.5" wide, which is generally too narrow for a 255. I personally wouldn't go beyond 245 (245/45r-19?).

·
Registered
555 Posts
I know you cannot expect stellar performance of all-season tires on snow but the OEM Scorpions have very poor performance on snow. I'm comparing them to BF Goodrich G-force all-season and Pirelli Cinturato, which have much better performance in snow. The G-force, in specific, is much better in every way. I got my car towards the later part of the winter so I just sucked it up but next winter I'm getting winter tires. When the time come, I'll switch away from Scorpions...hopefully by then (~3 years) there will be more XL options!

I agree with Bmo Pete on moving to 255mm wide tire, I don't this it is recommended to 7.5" wheels, you might cause your tire surface to be curved instead of flat causing premature wear and less grip. Unless you move to a 19x8 or 19x8.5 wheel ;)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Granted, I went into this winter with only 3000 miles on the tires, but the OEM Scorpions worked just fine for me in Maine.

·
Registered
320 Posts
the pirellis are terrible, look in the forum and you'll see a lot of posts about it. Costco doesn't have anything for 19" unless you're willing to go down in the load range from XL (not sure if they'll install it). Tirerack shows a khumo all season, and another good brand for summer performance and winter.

the 20" have better options but I've not been able to find take off wheels that size. also do consider the ride quality going into 20"
I have the 20s in my CC and have had no issues with them. I don’t have air on my car. 45 aspect ratio is plenty of sidewall.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Pirelli PZ4 in the summer and dunlop winter sport 3d in the winter, both on 19 inch rims do the job really good for me...
got rid of scorpions at the moment of the car delivery....

Did look at other sizes, but what I wanted either didn't have proper load rating, or didn't bring any other benefits over these two...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nokian Alternate?

How about these. They are 55's and not 50's though, so almost 1 inch more diameter (which I prefer), 2 MPH error, calculation difference can be viewed on the site "Will they fit"

Please go easy, it's my first post, picking up my V90 CC soon and am concerned about an alternate choice for tires.

Nokian: eNTYRE 2.0 These are All Seasons though.

Tire Size: 235/55R19 Part Number: T429387 UTQG: 720 A A Service Description: 105V Load Range: XL Sidewall: BW Warranty: 130000 km

Cheers

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
How about these. They are 55's and not 50's though, so almost 1 inch more diameter (which I prefer), 2 MPH error, calculation difference can be viewed on the site "Will they fit"

Please go easy, it's my first post, picking up my V90 CC soon and am concerned about an alternate choice for tires.

Nokian: eNTYRE 2.0 These are All Seasons though.

Tire Size: 235/55R19 Part Number: T429387 UTQG: 720 A A Service Description: 105V Load Range: XL Sidewall: BW Warranty: 130000 km

Cheers
I'm a little confused by your post as to what size are your stock tires and what size are your replacements.

In any case, I'm guessing the Nokian replacements are an inch more in diameter. That might be a dark-grey area IMO and you might want to physically measure the clearance your stock tire has at the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock position with the wheel well. I was surprised to see how little gap mine has when I was filling up air in my tires, yesterday.

Also, keep in mind, especially if you live in a snow state, that the wheel wells attract snow like a magnet and if you do not have decent clearance between the tire and the well, get ready to clean them off every single day or drive with a feeling of an out-of-balance bent rim or a suspension failure. I have to do it even on my stock tires (245/45R20) when driving through sticky snow/slush (especially at freeway speeds).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nokian Alternate Tire for original 19 "

Hi, to clear up my post above.

This Nokian tire 235 55R19 I believe could be an alternate tire for the Pirelli Scorpion (235 50R19, stock tire for the 19 "wheel). This tire, the 235 55R 19 would be a tighter fit for clearance by 7/16 of an inch. Yes, good idea to check clearance at any of the closest clearances.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nokian Alternate Tire for original 19 "

Hi, to clear up my post above.

This Nokian tire 235 55R19 I believe could be an alternate tire for the Pirelli Scorpion (235 50R19, stock tire for the 19 "wheel). This tire, the 235 55R 19 would be a tighter fit for clearance by 7/16 of an inch. Yes, good idea to check clearance at any of the closest clearances.

I wish there were pictures of this.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just got the Michelin cross climate 2 put on at Costco. Love them

1 - 18 of 18 Posts