SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
941 - 960 of 995 Posts

·
Registered
2004 V70 T5M
2,549 Posts
Hi guys,

My transmission recently went out in my 2007 V8 Sport and I'm not interested in paying the $5k+ to fix the transmission. I'd like to know what we could sell it for in its current state. Overall the interior is a 8/10, exterior 7/10 with some dents and scratches. 189k miles. We've owned it for 10 years now and maintained it well. It is leaking oil that we have yet to fix.

Pics to follow once we get it back from the mechanic...

Thank you,
Make a thread! It'll be much easier to follow versus posting all your personal things in the unaffiliated thread where your info will undoubtedly get lost through everyone else's posts

·
Registered
10 Posts

For Sale: 2009 XC90 R Design V8 AWD
Passion Red w/ Calcite Interior
96,900 Miles. Clean CarFax.

I bought this XC90 after a year+ hunt from Sewell in Dallas, Tx (I say this bc if you know Sewell you know they do not front line any junk, this was a trade with a white R Design XC60). If you know XC90s you are likely of the same opinion that this is pretty much cream of the crop as far as the V8s go...and the factory quad exhaust sounds oh so nice! I have used the car as my travel car for work, highway miles, for the last 2 years. I live in St Louis MO but cover the central US, has seen snow maybe 3 times in my ownership and was thoroughly washed after. No Rust or Corrosion. I am extremely picky and it took me a ton of time to find the right one of these. It had to be an '09 with quad exhaust, red, v8, etc. Once I got the car I did a full "stage 0" to address some of the few common things that wear our on these, I've had multiple XC90 V8s. I do not want to sell but work has changed our car program and I have to be in a 2013 or newer vehicle by the end of the year. Anyone that knows me knows how picky I am and how well I maintain my vehicles, I am a former Volvo dealer tech and all work was done by myself or a current volvo tech with the exception of the recent alignment. All records from my ownership are available, prior available on carfax. I do have all the books too.

This XC90 is loaded except for rear seat entertainment (dvd player). Of note it has: V8, active bi-xenon head lights, navigation, dynaudio, third row seating, climate package, child booster seat, power folding mirrors, BLIS, parking sensors, sun roof, full power seats, aluminum roof rails, etc, etc, etc. This year does have satellite radio and the aux input from the factory.

I have done numerous maintenance items and upgrades, this XC90 is ready to go! No excuses. Mint condition for miles, has some minimal paint chips and interior wear consistent with a vehicle with half or less mileage.

Work performed/Upgrades:
New OEM Volvo Control Arms, Tune up with Volvo Parts, OEM serpentine belt, OEM motor mounts, All filters/fluids changed, new battery, life time alignment, HD IPD spring seats, New front struts, IPD sway bars & end links, IPD strut brace mounts, K&N, new Continental DWS 06 extreme contact tires, powder coated wheels w/ black volvo center caps, OEM mud flaps, OEM chrome trimmed front bumper grill vents (they were black on the R design and looked out of place IMHO), LED interior lighting, IPD door lock pins, IPD interior door handle guards, weather tech on all 3 rows + cargo and Volvo cargo area cover for full protection, OEM Volvo aluminum cargo cover, window tint, clear bra on full front end & front 1/4 of hood, headlights, door edges, door handles, rear bumper, and tail gate area (About a grand worth of clear bra!). None of the "adds" are cheap stuff, all are top quality products that there is a couple grand in alone. I am sure I am forgetting several items, but you get the picture.
I bought this XC90 from Nick in July 2016. It has been an amazing vehicle for me but I think it's time to get back into a sedan. As it currently sits it has roughly 149,xxx miles on it. During my ownership I've completed the following maintenance:

Akebono Front PadsFeb-17
Magnetic Drain Plug IPDJun-18
Lemforder Inner Tie Rod x2Dec-18
Rotors Front/RearApr-19
Pagid Rear Brake PadsApr-19
Bosch Fuel FilterJul-20
Denso Spark PlugsJul-20
Pentosin Super DOT 4 Brake FluidJul-20
Volvo StarterSep-20
Pentosin CHF Jan-21
Power Steering O-RingJan-21
Spring SeatsMar-21
Strut MountsMar-21
Differential Fluid Redline 75W90Mar-21
Strut BumpersMar-21
Toyo Proxes Sport A/S x2Mar-21
Strut Mount WashersMar-21
Strut Mount CapsMar-21
Strut Mount Cross NutsMar-21
Lemforder Inner Tie Rod x1Mar-21
Lemforder Outer Tie Rod x1Mar-21
Lemforder Ball Joint x1Mar-21
Lemforder Front Sway Bar LinksMar-21
IPD Control ArmsMar-21
Mobil 1 5w30Every 5-7500 miles
Rear Subframe BushingsNot installed
Serpetine BeltNot installed
Haldex AOC FilterNot installed
AISIN Transmission FluidNot installed
Haldex FluidNot installed
Transmission Cooler Line O-Rings Not installed
Toyo Proxes Sport A/S x2Not installed

The vehicle remains in excellent condition, but I do want to point out a few issues.

1. There is a clunking noise coming from the front. I've changed all the suspension components with the exception of the sway bar bushings. I think they need to be changed.
2. About once a month I get the message that "Anti-Skid Service Required." It goes away after a few minutes, but I assume this means it needs a new steering angle sensor.
3. Needs new TPMS x 4. Doesn't bother me so I haven't ordered them.
4. I've had car seats in the back, so there may be some impressions on the rear seats.

All the parts "not installed" will come with the car if I sell it.

I'm posting this message to leverage your expertise in helping me determine a price range for this Volvo. Please feel free to direct message me with your thoughts.

Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
2005 XC90 2.5T AWD, 219k miles
131 Posts
Hard to say. Of all the V8 Sports/R-Designs, that is the model year to have (my opinion and many others). I’d recently been the market for this model so I’m recalling KBB and auto guides price prime examples around $10k, though open market could be a tad higher for well maintained and marketed vehicles. Yours sounds well maintained save a few items and the higher miles. At 150k miles the V8 timing guides and tensioners should be replaced if they haven’t already.

I’d question not replacing the TPMS sensors when 2 tires were replaced last month. They may not annoy you but buyers get scared away by dash lights. It costs $10-30 to swap them when you get new tires but it’s $60+ when a tire has to be dismounted and mounted. I myself have skipped the TPMS rebuild and regretted it when 6 months later the sensors started going out. After getting one fixed for $80 I made sure I swapped them all out at the next tire change.

The anti-skid warning is more concerning. From my understanding this can be many things, from cheap and easy to expensive and requiring experience. If I were a buyer I’d assume the AWD was inoperable and price in $2000 to fix. That’s conservative, as you note it could be a $200 clock spring. As a buyer I’d assume it was the Haldex pump or something far less optimistic.

Between the miles, anti-skid, and tensioners, $6k is a ballpark. If you want to sell as-is you might do better than that among the general public, if you want top dollar I suggest looking into doing some of the last repairs and selling to an enthusiast.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hard to say. Of all the V8 Sports/R-Designs, that is the model year to have (my opinion and many others). I’d recently been the market for this model so I’m recalling KBB and auto guides price prime examples around $10k, though open market could be a tad higher for well maintained and marketed vehicles. Yours sounds well maintained save a few items and the higher miles. At 150k miles the V8 timing guides and tensioners should be replaced if they haven’t already.

I’d question not replacing the TPMS sensors when 2 tires were replaced last month. They may not annoy you but buyers get scared away by dash lights. It costs $10-30 to swap them when you get new tires but it’s $60+ when a tire has to be dismounted and mounted. I myself have skipped the TPMS rebuild and regretted it when 6 months later the sensors started going out. After getting one fixed for $80 I made sure I swapped them all out at the next tire change.

The anti-skid warning is more concerning. From my understanding this can be many things, from cheap and easy to expensive and requiring experience. If I were a buyer I’d assume the AWD was inoperable and price in $2000 to fix. That’s conservative, as you note it could be a $200 clock spring. As a buyer I’d assume it was the Haldex pump or something far less optimistic.

Between the miles, anti-skid, and tensioners, $6k is a ballpark. If you want to sell as-is you might do better than that among the general public, if you want top dollar I suggest looking into doing some of the last repairs and selling to an enthusiast.
Thank you for the feedback and what you suggest makes sense. I will look into fixing the TPMS, anti-skid, and timing guide/tensioners.

·
Registered
2009 XC90 V8 || 2008 C30 V1
397 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just made a listing for my 2009 XC90 R Design in the main for sale forum. If anyone has any questions about it feel free to ask. Thanks

·
Registered
1,102 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts

So my budget was about $6k and I just made a deal for $4,200 on this 2007 v8 AWD at 180k miles.

Pros
The engine feels strong and smooth, the transmission feels good, and the suspension and driving dynamics feel solid
All service records in hand
It has all the bells and whistles, and they're all working (sat nav, DVD, heated seats, upgraded audio, electric folding mirrors, wood trim)
All 7 leather seats are in beautiful condition (the third row seats look like they've never been used)

Cons
It's throwing an evap code
Typical cracks in a couple spots on the interior (pieces I'll replace as I feel like it, like window buttons)
I took a good look underneath and the only issue I saw is that there's a small, slow oil leak. I still have $2k in my budget so I took the risk that I would be able to either fix the leak myself or take it to a shop and still be on budget. (the oil leak is on the left side toward the front...cam seal maybe?)

Thoughts on the risks? Did I get a good deal?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
If you're considering doing the work yourself, this link is a very speculative time/cost thread with some of the jobs that I suspect you'll inevitably need to do on your high mileage V8- Standard DIY Job Costs, XC90 | SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum It was created based on my own personal experience and is always open for constructive comment.

At 180k miles,I'll guess that the VCG needs done (where your oil is coming) or maybe the PS pump is seeping (the other place the oily leaks come from). The auxiliary belt and rollers should been swapped out long ago, check for this job in the service records and not do it ASAP. Maybe price all this up front and have in mind as you walk into this vehicle. Check service records for alternator and starter replacement while you're looking, they can also fail by 150k.

Ideally you will hope that the transmission valve body has already been swapped out, see this thread for some background- 2006-2007 TF-80SC Automatic Transmission Valve Body Issue & Serial Number Info | SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum I never priced that job, it's probably "ballpark" $1000 for a VB and 5-6 hours of labor with the sub-frame dropped if that'a all you're doing, followed by an adaptation. You may never experience an issue but it's a documented concern and good to recognize up front in my opinion.

All of these jobs are in the OFFICIAL: XC90 Part Number & "How to" Thread | SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum sticky if you end up needing to do them.

Good looking vehicle, chestnut is a really distinct interior color...

edit- add probably

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you're considering doing the work yourself, this link is a very speculative time/cost thread with some of the jobs that I suspect you'll inevitably need to do on your high mileage V8- Standard DIY Job Costs, XC90 | SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum It was created based on my own personal experience and is always open for constructive comment.

At 180k miles,I'll guess that the VCG needs done (where your oil is coming) or maybe the PS pump is seeping (the other place the oily leaks come from). The auxiliary belt and rollers should been swapped out long ago, check for this job in the service records and not do it ASAP. Maybe price all this up front and have in mind as you walk into this vehicle. Check service records for alternator and starter replacement while you're looking, they can also fail by 150k.

Ideally you will hope that the transmission valve body has already been swapped out, see this thread for some background- 2006-2007 TF-80SC Automatic Transmission Valve Body Issue & Serial Number Info | SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum I never priced that job, it's probably "ballpark" $1000 for a VB and 5-6 hours of labor with the sub-frame dropped if that'a all you're doing, followed by an adaptation. You may never experience an issue but it's a documented concern and good to recognize up front in my opinion.

All of these jobs are in the OFFICIAL: XC90 Part Number & "How to" Thread | SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum sticky if you end up needing to do them.

Good looking vehicle, chestnut is a really distinct interior color...

edit- add probably
This is gold, thank you so much! It seems worth doing the VCG and PS pump at the same time since the pump require taking the manifold off anyway so I'll probably just do both

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
See where your leaks are, if it's both then this is a perfect time to do both.

PCV and FPS are really smart to do as well if you're in for a VCG, I would strongly suggest screw clamps on the PCV hose versus the spring clamps Volvo installed. I have a photo link in the VCG thread if you need it for visual reference but taking photos before you start and during the job has come in really handy on reassembly the two times I've done this work.

Good luck with your purchase

·
Registered
4 Posts
See where your leaks are, if it's both then this is a perfect time to do both.

PCV and FPS are really smart to do as well if you're in for a VCG, I would strongly suggest screw clamps on the PCV hose versus the spring clamps Volvo installed. I have a photo link in the VCG thread if you need it for visual reference but taking photos before you start and during the job has come in really handy on reassembly the two times I've done this work.

Good luck with your purchase
I can't thank you enough for the advice, you've been very helpful!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
In case anyone is looking, my 2008 XC90 V8 Executive (Electric Silver/Tan) with 68K miles will probably be getting posted for sale in the next few weeks. Have not had time to put a full for sale ad together yet or take proper photos, but wanted to drop a short note in here. As far as I can tell it's the lowest mile example advertised in the country right now. Feel free to PM for more details.

·
Registered
8 Posts
In case anyone is looking, my 2008 XC90 V8 Executive (Electric Silver/Tan) with 68K miles will probably be getting posted for sale in the next few weeks. Have not had time to put a full for sale ad together yet or take proper photos, but wanted to drop a short note in here. As far as I can tell it's the lowest mile example advertised in the country right now. Feel free to PM for more details.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
2008 V8 Sport in Seattle. $10k, 137k miles

08's typically had Vulcanis, not Cratus. Both great wheels, not sure which I like better.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

941 - 960 of 995 Posts