SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ‘07 V8 has had a transmission stutter since I bought it last summer. After 20-30 minutes of driving, the car starts thunking when shifting between gears 2-3 and 3-4. I assume it’s the valve body issues this model year seems to have pretty often. The European garage guy who did my spark plugs said it looks like some sort of clearance issue and it’s not worth a transmission flush and I should try to find a used transmission under 50k miles for a swap. I’m taking it to a transmission shop this week to get a second opinion.

Do y’all think it’s worth looking at improved transmissions like this one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
@kukukachoo117

I am in a similar boat as you are with my 07 S80 V8. I have asked around and the swedespeed or other Volvo community don't seem to be familiar with this company. I was actually gonna call them tomorrow and ask them about compatibility.

From what I have researched, these TF80SC asin transmissions have been used in a lot of cars and they are pretty common rebuilt (the price is discounted on the website) .

Let me check with them tomorrow.
If you get a chance, I would suggest you giving them a call too. No harm in asking.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
I had an 07 V8 with transmission issues. Once it warmed up, it would sort of stutter as it changed gears.

It was the torque converter.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
My ‘07 V8 has had a transmission stutter since I bought it last summer. After 20-30 minutes of driving, the car starts thunking when shifting between gears 2-3 and 3-4. I assume it’s the valve body issues this model year seems to have pretty often. The European garage guy who did my spark plugs said it looks like some sort of clearance issue and it’s not worth a transmission flush and I should try to find a used transmission under 50k miles for a swap. I’m taking it to a transmission shop this week to get a second opinion.

Nope, because all that was changed would have been the valve body. So you can pay $2200 plus shipping which will be minimum $250 plus send yours back at another $250 and then $1200 at least to install. Or you can buy a new OEM Volvo valve body for around $1250. Install it yourself if capable, or if not around $600 to have it done.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nope, because all that was changed would have been the valve body. So you can pay $2200 plus shipping which will be minimum $250 plus send yours back at another $250 and then $1200 at least to install. Or you can buy a new OEM Volvo valve body for around $1250. Install it yourself if capable, or if not around $600 to have it done.
The rebuilt transmission has an upgraded torque converter and rebuilt seals, etc. As compared to swapping with a unit from a salvage yard, that rebuilt transmission is a far better option IMHO.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The rebuilt transmission has an upgraded torque converter and rebuilt seals, etc. As compared to swapping with a unit from a salvage yard, that rebuilt transmission is a far better option IMHO.

If you actually read what I said, I recommended a new OEM valve body over the REBUILT transmission. No where do I mention a salvage yard transmission.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you actually read what I said, I recommended a new OEM valve body over the REBUILT transmission. Nowhere do I mention a salvage yard transmission?
My bad, I combined your reply and OP's question in my head.

Question for you (don't hate me if it is dumb) I have not found enough data on this but would you happen to know how long do the clutch packs/plates, pump bushing, gaskets etc last? I haven't been able to find specs or reports on the life of these components on these transmissions. I am new to this, so any leads on where to look for such information would be quite helpful!

Although I have read on multiple posts across volvo and toyota forums that the internals are solid on these Asin Seiki autos, like these never have a catastrophic failure. But the gaskets, clutch packs, filter, etc - I assume they do wear out over time.

·
Registered
36 Posts

I did find this thread on the s60R sub-group : Built TF80 with lock-up function for $1300? , there is no consensus though, might be worthwhile to ping that thread and see if there was any progress?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
My bad, I combined your reply and OP's question in my head.

Question for you (don't hate me if it is dumb) I have not found enough data on this but would you happen to know how long do the clutch packs/plates, pump bushing, gaskets etc last? I haven't been able to find specs or reports on the life of these components on these transmissions. I am new to this, so any leads on where to look for such information would be quite helpful!

Although I have read on multiple posts across volvo and toyota forums that the internals are solid on these Asin Seiki autos, like these never have a catastrophic failure. But the gaskets, clutch packs, filter, etc - I assume they do wear out over time.
No hate, it all depends on how the car is driven and maintained. 180k easy if treated with a modicum of care and respect. You can trash one in 60k if beat on. That`s the best answer I have. There is no seviceable filter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just talked to the shop today. Going to have them replace the valve body because the rest of the transmission seems fine. Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I just went through this. replaced mine with one from Erie Vovo that they say had 85k on it. With shipping the shop charged me about 4k. that included new seals, etc. See my post from last month. The choice was used for about 4k or "new" for 7k. the car once done is worth about 6k, so tread lightly. Transmission shop quoted up to 5k over the phone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts