SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD - Climate Pkg, Versatility Pkg, and Convenience Pkg
753 Posts
Just do the dual exhaust.

Available as a kit. Includes all hardware and rear valance skirt.

You won't regret it.

Volvo p/n 30756337

Thanks so much for the answer. Is it do-able with jackstands and car ramps by a "reasonably-competent home mechanic"? (that's me lol) I really like the look of it. I got the dealer to install their hitch back in 2010 or so, I think it's a THULE brand hitch. I see your image provided (thanks for that) shows you did it with a hitch, but the part you mentioned (https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/products/1252474/30756337.html) says this: "For cars without trailer hitch.". Can you confirm the part number and that it will work with a 2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD (non-sport) with a dealer-installed hitch in it?

Furthermore, just noticed that the website I linked (https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/products/1252474/30756337.html) says it only fits with the following:

Volvo XC90 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Volvo XC90 3.2l 6 cylinder 2011
Volvo XC90 4.4l 8 cylinder 2011

Also, my initial thought was to only replace the existing circular exhaust tips with simply the round-rectangular-like sport exhaust tips, not add two more pipes and subsequently have to also purchase a new bumper. Is this possible? I see that this exhaust system is purely cosmetic and will rob me of $1100.

Again, I have a 2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD, will this work on my car? Once I can get confirmation on these I'll move forward with the install.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Thanks so much for the answer. Is it do-able with jackstands and car ramps by a "reasonably-competent home mechanic"? (that's me lol) I really like the look of it. I got the dealer to install their hitch back in 2010 or so, I think it's a THULE brand hitch. I see your image provided (thanks for that) shows you did it with a hitch, but the part you mentioned (https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/products/1252474/30756337.html) says this: "For cars without trailer hitch.". Can you confirm the part number and that it will work with a 2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD (non-sport) with a dealer-installed hitch in it?

Furthermore, just noticed that the website I linked (https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/products/1252474/30756337.html) says it only fits with the following:

Volvo XC90 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Volvo XC90 3.2l 6 cylinder 2011
Volvo XC90 4.4l 8 cylinder 2011

Also, my initial thought was to only replace the existing circular exhaust tips with simply the round-rectangular-like sport exhaust tips, not add two more pipes and subsequently have to also purchase a new bumper. Is this possible? I see that this exhaust system is purely cosmetic and will rob me of $1100.

Again, I have a 2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD, will this work on my car? Once I can get confirmation on these I'll move forward with the install.
Contact this Volvo dealer. They have the best price. They may be willing to drop ship. Mine had to come from Sweden because none were in stock in the US.

http://volvocarspartspeople.com/product/xc90/2010/Body Style/Sport exhaust system

I showed this $828 price to my local dealer and simply asked if they would match it ... to my surprise they said yes!

When the system arrived, it was boxed in a 12ft wooden crate. I had no way of transporting it ... So I asked how much they would charge to install it. We agreed on $100. It was done in under an hour. And they got rid of a 12 ft crate sitting in their parts department ... lol!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Anyone ever try running a straight pipe from the rear cats/split to the rear muffler , eliminating the resonator/center muffler (whichever it is)?

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks Rpow, I went with the Muffler Express one, $259 , free shipping
Make sure to take and share some pictures!

·
Registered
2009 XC90 D5 185 R-Design, winter, summer, comms and family packs
142 Posts
The exhaust on my D5 is getting shabby. I cant complain, it's 12 years old. Being the R Design it has the tres sexy quad talpipes and a new cat back system over here is getting on for a grand for just the parts. Theres a local company that makes stainless exhausts and they reckon they can do a close replica, cat back, in full stainless for £600 fitted. They'll do it in standard, sport and race noise levels. I'll go for standard. They can also do cat replacements as well, which is also a cheaper option than paying Volvo for one. Probably many places your side of the pond that can do similar.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Finished the replacement. I used Muffler Express. Came in 2 days from Canada. Overall impression, welds are not as nice as the original. Good fitment. Came with all hardware and gaskets.

Removing the original was not easy. The studs that are holding the flanges have splines and the all the nuts were totally rusted to where I had to use a cutoff wheel , sawsall and chisel. I couldn't get to all the bolts so I removed the entire cat back system once I cut away the flex pipes and unbolted the retaining brackets.

On of the studs would not come out so I cut into the side of the flange, in order to be able to loosen it. All the flange holes had to be drilled out so the new bolts can fit. Everything went back nicely after that.

·
Registered
2009 XC90 D5 185 R-Design, winter, summer, comms and family packs
142 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure where to send it for recycling.
Around here there are places with signs in the window reading "We buy catalytic converters". I'm surprised there isn't a bigger problem of converters gone missing, what with the opioid problem and all...

Anyhow, ask an exhaust shop, for starters.
Cat theft is a biigggg problem here. Therpy tend to leave diesel cars alone because the cats are dirtier internally and they get paid less for them. Toyota Auris, Pious and Honda Jazz owners daren't sleep at night because thouse are the models that get targeted.

As a Beretta Silver Pigeon 12 bore owner I sleep very well at night 😉

·
Registered
2008 XC-90 V8 Sport
90 Posts
Decided to give it a go. Order placed through RockAuto. Should be here at the end of the week. I think I'm going to spray the non-flex bits with high temp black paint to give it a little extra life. I'll take pics and report back.
How was your experience with Rock Auto? Their on-line reviews are very poor - overall a 2.2 rating on Trustpilot with a whopping 62% rating them as "Bad" - so I've stayed away. My cat needs replacing however and since the Bosal they have is the same as MagnaFlow but a lot cheaper, I'm tempted to take a chance.

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
How was your experience with Rock Auto? Their on-line reviews are very poor - overall a 2.2 rating on Trustpilot with a whopping 62% rating them as "Bad" - so I've stayed away. My cat needs replacing however and since the Bosal they have is the same as MagnaFlow but a lot cheaper, I'm tempted to take a chance.
I've never had an issue with them. My transaction with them went smoothly. I don't hesitate to order with them. Not sure why everyone else is having such bad experiences.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
My experience with them has been very positive. You can find really good deals on items they are disposing of. I have found their shipping to be a little slow at times and if you really need something at a certain date, I would tend to buy somewhere else.

·
Registered
2008 XC-90 V8 Sport
90 Posts
I've never had an issue with them. My transaction with them went smoothly. I don't hesitate to order with them. Not sure why everyone else is having such bad experiences.
My experience with them has been very positive. You can find really good deals on items they are disposing of. I have found their shipping to be a little slow at times and if you really need something at a certain date, I would tend to buy somewhere else.
Thanks for the feedback. Seems like it's worth giving them a shot.

Edit: Placed an order yesterday (10/20), just under $400 with shipping and tax. I'm sure it's not on the same quality level as the Volvo part, but it's over $1k less expensive. Got an email this morning telling me it has shipped; so far so good.

·
Registered
13 xc60 r design, 09 xc90 v8 RD, 12 c70, 07.5 S60r
187 Posts
I’ve had issues with a vibration from some of the cheap ones...I’ve used almost all of them and some vibrate and some don’t..last time we just welded in new flex sections and moved on

21 - 36 of 36 Posts