SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to purchase one what's the best year and known issues. I'm a xc90 super noon. So be nice loo ;)

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
The R-Design trim started in 2007 as the XC90 Sport and later changed to R-Design. Look for a 2009 V8 R-Design, this was the last year of the V8 R-Design and it offered the quad exhaust tips out the back. All other V8 XC90 Sports & R-Designs had the two tips out the driver's side. 2010 - present are 3.2 R-Designs. The V8 continued in the XC90 until 2011 but not with the R-Design trim.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The Quad tips look nice on the 2009 but has NO spare tire. This is an issue for me. If you damaged a tire bad (pothole or whatever) the air pump kit will get you no where.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Use Run Flats like the X5s etc
And what if your tire is torn into the shreads running over a large piece of metal 5 miiles from the closest pit stop and 25 miles from the closest town under 110F sun?

True story - FWY 5-North, Central CA.

15 min "no-big-deal" with the spare...?????? - without...

·
Registered
365 Posts

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Lived through run flats on two BMW cars. Never, ever, ever again. Rode like crap most of the time I had them.
You aren't the first on this forum to express those thoughts regarding run flats....have yet to hear a kind word!!!

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
I have run flats on the X6 (Dunlop Sport Maxx) and really like them. I've been pleasantly surprised at how long they last.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have run flats on the X6 (Dunlop Sport Maxx) and really like them. I've been pleasantly surprised at how long they last.
Are those OEM? My 550i came with Continentals. BMW replaced first set free of charge at 11,500 - there was a TSB on the noise and premature wear. Got 15k on the second set before they became problematic, and they gave me 50% off a new pair at that point. Perhaps BMW has gone to Dunlops to solve the issue.

How do you like the X6?

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
Yes. OE for SAV's with the 20" wheels.

They're great. Get 35k miles out of a set.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have Quad exhaust tips and kept the spare tire on the trunk all the time :)

BTW, did anyone notice any performance difference with the quad exhaust over the usual two tip exhaust

·
Registered
648 Posts
With an engine that is not forced-induction, you will notice minimal marginal gains with a performance muffler.

As far as the spare goes - the spare is useful, but it's a tire like the other four on your car. Take it out every so often to check it for defects, and for air pressure. A spare isn't going to be useful on the side of the road if it's punctured or flat, or both.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I vote for a full spare, as I have a 17" S80 wheel with a 2" chunk missing out of the rim-edge. Don't know what it hit ... but something bad!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts