SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all of you, I own a 2010 s80 V8 executive (Yamaha engine)with 180 K km on it, a couple weeks ago came off the red triangle warning "overheating engine". I changed the thermostat last weekend, still overheating, oil level is ok, coolant was changed 2 years ago, symptoms; during a traffic jam, my air conditioning sent foggy air inside the car......similar as emergency valve........my next step will be changing my water pump.......but I am on the right path ? tks and regards to all

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi to all of you, I own a 2010 s80 V8 executive (Yamaha engine)with 180 K km on it, a couple weeks ago came off the red triangle warning "overheating engine". I changed the thermostat last weekend, still overheating, oil level is ok, coolant was changed 2 years ago, symptoms; during a traffic jam, my air conditioning sent foggy air inside the car......similar as emergency valve........my next step will be changing my water pump.......but I am on the right path ? tks and regards to all
Check that your radiator fans are turning on. Typically speaking, a bad water pump will make your engine overheat at sustained highspeeds. Overheating when going slowly is usually a flow issue, such as a thermostat (which you changed) or a fan or something

·
Registered
296 Posts
The coolant system should be filled under vacuum to avoid air pockets. Air pockets in the system can also cause issues. 2cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check that your radiator fans are turning on. Typically speaking, a bad water pump will make your engine overheat at sustained highspeeds. Overheating when going slowly is usually a flow issue, such as a thermostat (which you changed) or a fan or something

Fan are working only when you turn the AC on, the 2 fans are working with their 2 variable speeds high and very high. But ONLY when AC is working. When running highspeed, the temp engine light turn off.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Might depend on the year, make and model.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Check and perhaps replace radiator cap. Pressure spring in cap may have taken a dump.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Fan are working only when you turn the AC on, the 2 fans are working with their 2 variable speeds high and very high. But ONLY when AC is working. When running highspeed, the temp engine light turn off.
So if you are running at slow speed, and the engine is overheating, is the fan running? If not, found your problem

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the EXACT same issue and posted about it elsewhere on the forum. Symptoms of my car were 1. Overheating Engine, 2. Coolant leaking from the Reservoir, 3. White Mist billowing from the AC Vents, 4. Frosty Windows during rain, Zero Defogging even when AC set to max. 5. Coolant Smell in Cabin.

After a lot of Trial & Error of changing Thermostat, Water pump, coolant tank, coolant Cap, radiator flush, coolant flush, it turned out to be a pinched coolant line/vacuum leak leading to the Heater Core, I got my Independent Mechanic to bypass the heater core to prove this point and that did the trick, next stop was to get the coolant lines to the heater core flushed, fix any vacuum leaks along with throwing in a new Heater core, now no more overheating engine, no more leaky coolant, no mist nor coolant smell in the cabin.

Please get the heater core & the coolant lines to it checked as your symptom has similar red flags that mine had. Hope it helps !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I found your past statement ShortShifter

I had the EXACT same issue and posted about it elsewhere on the forum. Symptoms of my car were 1. Overheating Engine, 2. Coolant leaking from the Reservoir, 3. White Mist billowing from the AC Vents, 4. Frosty Windows during rain, Zero Defogging even when AC set to max. 5. Coolant Smell in Cabin.

After a lot of Trial & Error of changing Thermostat, Water pump, coolant tank, coolant Cap, radiator flush, coolant flush, it turned out to be a pinched coolant line/vacuum leak leading to the Heater Core, I got my Independent Mechanic to bypass the heater core to prove this point and that did the trick, next stop was to get the coolant lines to the heater core flushed, fix any vacuum leaks along with throwing in a new Heater core, now no more overheating engine, no more leaky coolant, no mist nor coolant smell in the cabin.

Please get the heater core & the coolant lines to it checked as your symptom has similar red flags that mine had. Hope it helps !

Hi Indian guy, yes I did read your experience before sending my request here. I will change my electronic sensor anyway. What is telling me that my problem might not be the same as you did experience is when I am running at high speed (80 km and up) the airflow true the radiator is cooling down the engine AND when I arrived at my home, the fans were NOT working......when I activate the AC ....... they were not spinning... and they were supposed to. The coolant were flush completely 2 years ago.........the heater is working great inside the cabin.......so I have some dought about your experience and mine today.........I will be fixing step by step, the water pump is almost excluded.......but I will change it anyway (already in hands), but before will be the electronic module and heating sensor......next pump, after I will look if any physical problem with the cooling line......will keep you all inform....tks to all

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
high speed the engine is not overheating, only during traffic jam...........fans are running when I left my house, when I arrived, they were not.......even with the AC on, so I strongly suspect the electronic module to be the problem......I did order a new one......waiting for delivery.....will keep you inform no matter what

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The engine is overheating because you have a leak in your system and it's not pressurizing. Stop changing parts, and look for the leak! By changing parts, you're potentially causing more issues without knowing. You can start by getting a radiator pressure tester to see if your system is holding pressure. From the sounds of it, looks like you need to change your heater core. Steam coming from your vents indicates that the blower fan is blowing escaping steam from your heater core.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So tks to all, ieatglu there was no leak the system is well pressurized I checked it at the beginning (the cap and seal ok). It was the Fan electronic module that was dead or half-dead........only one fan was in working condition. I have the DICE and when I wanted to activate the electronic module, only the 31% was working (there are 3 level of % the lowest is 31% and the highest is 97%)......make absolute sense because when I was driving at high speed, the engine was not overheating. This was the reason I really thought it was the electronic module;

1- without any water pump, the engine would have blown for sure;
2- was overheating during the traffic jam=no ventilation
3- No ventilation = the air conditioning' heat exchange is right behind the engine radiator = radiator was heating the A\C exchanger= the A/C exchanger couldn't cool down the 410 gas = it couldn't stay in gas since it was too hot, so the 410 gas was returning in liquid = more heat on the A\C gas= pressure grow internally......this was the steam leak into my cabin and "probably" got out from an o-ring without damaging the ring ( it was not the coolant I would have smell it right the way) ......why my A\C is not as cold as it normally is.....I need to recharge the system a bit and not big deal.......

Again tks to all of you.......sorry for the written mistakes if any I am usually speaking french ! Cheers guys
Now, took it for a ride in the traffic jam yesterday during 2 hours......no more overheating

1 - 14 of 14 Posts