SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a trip the North-South length of Oregon on I-5 last weekend in our 06 V8. Got 23.5 mpg on way south, and 24 coming back north. It looked like I would have probably managed 24.5 or better on the way down, but couldn't resist after awhile, and spent a good deal of time at 80mph, which knocked it down a bit. Didn't do much over 70 on way back, but had a pretty good headwind most of the way.

I am eleated at those numbers, and just curious what other V8 folks are getting on the highway, i.e., is that about normal.

Second, what are you using for your leather and vinyl care? (my first car with leather seats!). I have started out with the Lexol wipes.

Thanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
For a deep clean/detail (1 in 3 times)

Autoglym Interior Cleaner
Zymol Treat for the leather
Zymol Vinyl for the vinyl
The autoglym is a really effective cleaner and the Zymol has all natural ingredients (not the stuff from Target or Walmat)

To maintain the finish (2 out of 3 times)
Einszett Cockpit Premium (leaves factory sheen not a shiny surface and can use on all surfaces - like a quick detailer for the inside of the car

Works really well but the draw back is its not cheap.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Re: V8 mpg, leather and vinyl care (aintsheswede)

I must have missed you on I-5 this weekend.

Went down to Vancouver, WA to visit a friend this weekend and drove back to Vancouver, BC today. Averaging 24mpg with 94 Octane on the way down and 22mpg with 92 Octane on the way up. 65~75 mph is usually where I live.

It's the first road trip on these new tires. I hit some pouring rain for about 30 mins. Couldn't see anything past 50 ft. doing 60mph. The tire did very well, no hydroplaning at all and gave me a very comfortable, luxury ride the whole way.. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: V8 mpg, leather and vinyl care (JDN34)

Good to know about Hankook tires. I am getting close and have been reading up here and elsewhere on what folks are using and happy with. Have also heard lots of good comments on the Nokians WR G2's.

So I guess I am in the right range for MPG. Okay, so you can get real 94 octane in Canada? Can you notice a difference between our US 92 and your 94 in performance or mpg?

And other than online, finding high quality leather care products sold locally is quite difficult. At least in this area. Only one place in Portland has the Zymol Treat leather conditioner for example.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (ccc)

Hey, thanks ccc. I'm not opposed to online buying at all. But if I can buy live and local, I try to do that too. But I will check that place out.

And yes, I just happened to see that $8400 wax in a catalog recently. But at least you get free refills for life! Funny though, that same outfit only had he low end Zymol leather conditioner listed and not the Treat. You'd think if they are going to sell $8400 wax, they would also push the $31 leather care. Its the company that makes the California Duster.

I figured the $8400 stuff was just so you could justify the $400 wax, and think you were getting a good deal!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Re: (aintsheswede)

I'm all for the local option if available. There is a big difference between the low end Zymol conditioner and the Treat. In general Zymol's product looks better and lasts longer then the other stuff I used to use. With that logic in mind, they have a Solaris wax that makes the $8400 wax look like a bargain.

With regards to leather vs vinyl, the trick the Moe showed me was to make an indent into the material with the tip of your fingernail. If it pops out quickly, its vinyl if it holds the indent a bit, its leather. I think the marketing phrase de jour is "leather seating surfaces" so only the parts of the seat that touch you is leather, the sides and backs are typically vinyl.

·
Registered
52 Posts

V8 Mileage from Atlanta to Denver (uphill) around 21.5 mpg.

Leather care - clean with diluted Woolite solution, condition with Pinnacle Leather Conditioner.

Vinyl dash and panels - 303 Aerospace Protectant
(I've heard some are fans of peanut oil for exterior bumper trim, but haven't tried that)

For more care detailing tips, check out autopia.org.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Re: V8 mpg, leather and vinyl care (sldysart)

I can't seem to get better than 16 MPG. The gas tank is not big enough to support my driving habits!

·
Registered
43 Posts

Quote, originally posted by aintsheswede »

So I guess I am in the right range for MPG. Okay, so you can get real 94 octane in Canada? Can you notice a difference between our US 92 and your 94 in performance or mpg?

94 Oct is about 2 mpg better when I'm on the highway and a little smoother past 4500 rpm.

In my area, I only pump at Husky b/c their gas are 90, 92, 94 OCT and advertise their lowest price on 90 Oct where everywhere else do 87, 89, 91 Oct. So for the price of regular 87, I can get 90 at Husky. They're not avaliable everywere but there's one right by my house.
Chevron do 89, 92, 94 but their price is on par with other brands.

HTHs,

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: V8 mpg, leather and vinyl care (dave_n_ruth)

Wow dave_n_ruth, you must have really heavy foot. 16 on the highway too? Although, having a heavy foot in these vehicles is very fun!

JDN34, do they calc the octane the same way in Canada, i.e. the RON + (oops, can't remember the other) divided by 2?

Sounds like it as the Chevron's ratings you quote are about the same as here. But no one goes over 92. I'm jealous.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (ccc)

ccc, the guy here actually talked about lots of professional detailers being quite upset Zymol even did the low end stuff. Caused lots of confusion with customers, and I think he said they don't even make it, just rebrand it.

I checked out he Pinnacle website too. looks like very high quality, like the zymol.

Thanks to all for the info. Now, decisions, decisions!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.