SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone have any old idler pulleys that they can measure for me? Even the numbers stamped on the outer bearing race would suffice. I want to press out the old bearings and press in new ones. Bearings run about $10 a piece, as opposed to paying $80 a piece for the whole thing at a dealer.

Also note that i'm in Canada, so everything's at 130% of the cost for us :rolleyes:

FOUND IT!

Part number for the bearing is 6203-2RS

It's dimensions are as follows:

OD: 40mm
ID: 17mm
TH: 12mm

They're about $5 on Amazon.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Does anyone have any old idler pulleys that they can measure for me? Even the numbers stamped on the outer bearing race would suffice. I want to press out the old bearings and press in new ones. Bearings run about $10 a piece, as opposed to paying $80 a piece for the whole thing at a dealer.

Also note that i'm in Canada, so everything's at 130% of the cost for us :rolleyes:

FOUND IT!

Part number for the bearing is 6203-2RS

It's dimensions are as follows:

OD: 40mm
ID: 17mm
TH: 12mm

They're about $5 on Amazon.
How frequently do you plan on replacing these? (How many miles/KM?)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had a whine coming from the engine ever since I bought the car at 135,xxx KM's. It's at 158,xxx km's now, and I just ordered them. Total cost for all 3 bearings was $11 shipped from Amazon. I'll make a how-to article when I get them in and get a chance to work on the car. Maybe mid-late December.

·
Registered
32 Posts
How have these bearings held up? Looking for a way not to spend $350 on my upcoming 150K miles replacement of the belt tensioner and pulleys. :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've had a whine coming from the engine ever since I bought the car at 135,xxx KM's. It's at 158,xxx km's now, and I just ordered them. Total cost for all 3 bearings was $11 shipped from Amazon. I'll make a how-to article when I get them in and get a chance to work on the car. Maybe mid-late December.
Any progress on the write up? Just looking to see what a pita it would be :)

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
It`s easier except that getting the most forward lowest pulley off the car is a pain in the Ass on the S80 V8. Getting the bearings out is esay.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If the relief hole in the firewall aligned correctly and was actually drilled big enough, it wouldn't be problem at all. Hopefully they fixed that on later year models.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Exactly, I doubt they did. Although, I am beginning to wonder if they are smarter than we thought and assumed ( not a bad assumption) that anyone changing the pulley bearings would change the belt. Because to change the belt you need to lift the engine the exact amount that makes that hole be in the right place then.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Even with the engine jacked up and the hole aligned, the bolt still didn't fit in it. I spent a good deal of time scratching my head about whether I should try to grind down the shoulder of the bolt or make the hole larger. I ended up enlarging the hole, but with such limited space it really wasn't easy.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I just cut the bolt head off so I could get more room with the pulley off and used a rotary file on right angle air tool grinder. Still sucked. I really don`t think that hole is there for the bolt if it doesn`t even fit in it. It`s just part of the manufacturing process. I would call it an Eff up by Volvo. Now that most S80 V8`s are getting to the point of needing tensioner bearing pulley replacement, I`m sure we`ll hear more about it.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The bearing held up for around 100k kms,one may have exploded. I replaced 2 with OEM pulleys and replaced the tensioner with OEM as well. Took around 30-35 minutes start to finish.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts