SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've owned our 2005 XC90 T6 (with entertainment package) since December 04). It was a xmas gift for the wife and I snuck it into the garage and wrapped the remotes and then the documentation and keys (was great).

Anyways, it's an okay SUV and we looked at many of the competitors.

But the T6, although I'm a turbo fan, have had AWD/turbos for going on 10+ years. I was thinking about the V8.

So any comparisons on mpg between the V8 and the T6 when driven a like? Just wondering if the V8 while more displacement, may get the same if not better fuel mileage then the T6.

Thanks for any "opinions, truths, passed poll, thread pointers"

Tory
2005 XC90 T6
2001 Cactus S4

Also looking for some suspension mods for the XC90 (swaybars,) unless I decide that a dealer wants to give me a hell of a deal for my T6 to get me into the V8

·
Registered
394 Posts
Re: V8 Gas mileage (myxc90)

We average 14-15 mpg combined.

We average 20-22 mpg highway.

It drinks fuel around town - maybe 10-12 mpg really (our combined figure is what we average for each tank). The highway mileage is impressive for such a heavy SUV.

The power is worth it though... one little kick-down and you leave everyone in the dust! Even on the highway it pulls strongly making passing a piece of cake. I really like the engine (it's the best part of the XC90, actually).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Re: V8 Gas mileage (Milpitas2.7T)

I've owned both the 8 and the T6. Relying only on the trip computer, the mileage is about the same. I'd say that's consistent with what I've heard from others who have owned both. It's well worth the upgrade -- the performance and refinement of the V8's powertrain trump the T6 in every way.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: V8 Gas mileage (Emission)

Quote, originally posted by Emission »
We average 14-15 mpg combined.

We average 20-22 mpg highway.

My V6 Pathfinder gets worse mileage than that. I struggle to get 17 doing 90% highway.

I'm definitley getting a V8 to replace it!

Modified by needsdecaf at 5:53 AM 7-30-2006

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Re: V8 Gas mileage (needsdecaf)

Any of the XC90 models can do better than 17 mpg on highway, no sweat.

My T6 consistently gets better than 22 mpg on highway, about 17 on city driving.
I just returned from a 800+ miles trip with 6 people on board plus all their stuff and the average was just a tad below 22 mpg (average speed ~75 mph, numbers are not from the trip computer). Not bad at all.

·
Registered
90 Posts

Quote, originally posted by myxc90 »
If you lived in the north with winter fuels and low temps I'd expect a big drop 10-20% in the winter

Alas! Yet another reason I don't live up north.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

Quote, originally posted by myxc90 »
If you lived in the north with winter fuels and low temps I'd expect a big drop 10-20% in the winter

I have never experienced this on any of my cars. We're running 10% ethanol all year round now, but even when it was MTBE and only in the winter, I never got worse mileage in the winter.

The R LOVES cold weather.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Smythe on Capital in San Jose has a Charcol gray, black interior demo (V8) with suspension, wheel & grill upgrades..... 6500 miles, managers demo... We bought a XC90 this weekend and they seemed pretty anxious to move it. Thought you might want to know.....

·
Registered
499 Posts

We just passed 4500 mile mark on our 2006 V8. From the tripmeter, we observed the following mileage:

0 - 1500 miles: 17.4 mpg (break-in)
1500 - 3000 miles: 18.7 mpg
3000 - 4500 miles: 19.8 mpg

This is with approximately 75/25 mix of highway/city driving. Considering the almost 4800 lbs weight of the XC90, it compares very well with about 20 mpg that we got with our RX300 (4000 lbs) under the same conditions. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
63 Posts
Re: V8 Gas mileage (Adam Long)

2005 V8, 13,000 miles

Highway: 65-70 mph - 23 mpg
70-75 mph - 22.5 mpg
75-80 mph - 21.5 mpg
80-85 mph - 21 mpg

City: Stop & Go: 15 mpg
Longer Stretches: 18-20 mpg

Best recorded MPG: 23 mpg at 75 mph

I often drive between Chicago & Detroit. It's pretty flat. I am very happy with the MPG. My 1999 Mustang GT (V8, 4.6L) got 21-21.5 mpg on the same trip, and my dad's 1997 Lincoln Continental gets 21.5. For a "big" SUV it doesn't drink like it. Also, it's one inch shorter than my Mustang!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: V8 Gas mileage (LJUII)

Thanks all, sorry it has taken me sometime to come back.. The answers are what I figured. I may have to call around to see if someone wants to make me a deal, I won't take a bath and I own mine outright, will see.

Purchased it at Capital in San Jose as well..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts