SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just changed the top engine mounting bracket (30723146), the bottom torque bracket (30748810) and the two top torque bracket end mounts (8666204 and -205, left and right). About an hour labor and $200 in parts.

The large top engine mounting bracket rubber part was completely loose inside the housing (worn). It is not an integral mold as part of the metal bracket housing. After examining it, I think that a cheapo solution could be to simply fill up the voids that have been created by the rubber wearing inside the bracket, with metal spacers ... and save $73.

The bottom torque bracket (30748810) felt loose and soft.

A friend with a 2010 S80 (V8) suggested I change these brackets. He claimed that the transmission shift pattern would improve. Well, it did. Shifts are more crisp and overall smoother than before.

Anybody know why?

Car has 132K mi.

Registered
Bump... images aren't working and I'd like to know more about this.

Registered
Yep, thanks! Works now.

Though I'm still very interested in how this had an impact on the shifting.

Registered
So perception really is 90+% of the truth.

If you have a transverse mounted engine and a transverse mounted transmission, when the powertrain removes and re-applies power, there will always be a back to front translation. The engine mounts absorb this translation and on the Volvo engines, there are a bunch of them including the ones seen above, to reduce and absorb the movement. When they get old, the rubber does not seat as well as before and the mounts gets loose, allowing a greater degree of space to translate and, in some cases, bumping up against the ends. Then the removal and re-application of power (like when you shift) causes as greater degree of "play" (space=time) before hitting the ends. This can be perceived as a delay in shifting (which in a way it is). If the mounts are really bad, this can be coupled with a knocking feeling since instead of the mount (or mounts) gently absorbing the translation, they go to the ends in a little more abrupt manner. This would be perceived as a hard shift.

Not sure if this will make any sense and maybe there's is some minor transmission adaptation going on after replacing mounts but the fact of the matter is that Volvo has been very judicious in loading up on mounts (front/rear pads, side mount, subframe bushings, upper/lower torque mounts) and I read somewhere that great thought was made to create a balance of support strength and softness, such that when the car goes through its paces, the powerplant takes it all in stride.

Now maybe I'm dead wrong, but, having replaced quite a few mounts on my 2.5T over the years, I can attest to feeling like something was wrong with the transmission then having it feel all better after replacement (top and bottom torque mount twice, top bar, side mount and front pad once, most broken outright but some preventative).

My 2 cents.

Side note- The lower torque mount is notorious for breaking, one you have one out you'll immediately see where. I repaired mine using a rubber bushing from another post rather than spending $50+ for another one, if I can find the post I'll edit it to this thread (http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/94367-01-v70-engine-mount-fix/). And early in the game (2006 or so?), Volvo must have realized the top mount design was a "miss" and went from the round mount to the square mount style. My round mount broke at maybe 30k, was replaced with square and even that one got replaced @ 150k.

Registered
Are the front and rear hydraulic mount just as much of c a PITA to replace on the v8 as people are saying that the 2.5 are? I'm getting confused as some people are referencing 2.5s and some are V8. Just curious as I am going to replace the upper and lower torque rods and the non hydraulic lower mount at the very least.

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PAX - could you update the pics? They're no longer showing for me. Need to tackle this repair.
Pics updated ... Google photo album needed update.

Let me know if this works.

PS. Easy peasy job. About to do this on my 2009 with only 62K miles. Seems this is a standard update if you have a V8 ...

Registered
Pictures are showing up, look great!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts