SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my trusty 2006 V8 (owned 3yrs by me) finally let me down and went home on a flatbed due to a failed alternator. It might have been helped by the fact that it was on the original battery (6yrs and 160k kms), or that as I read about after the fact, several have been replaced once they hit 100-160kms. In that time I have been looking for a replacement like a DieHard etc thinking it might be a better idea than oem, given its huge size and presumed ridiculous replacement cost.
In the past yr or so I did get a couple low voltage msgs that would quickly go away if I was using the stereo etc without the engine running for an extended period but when it finally puked it got all the symptoms and msgs listed in other alternator posts. Electrical system service req'd, abs msgs, interior lights dimming, and finally limp home mode where it just barely pulled me in a gas station parking lot.

As I don't have the facilities to safely jack up and pull the axle and ball joint suspension parts to do the job I had no choice but to get it to the dealer. I had to justify the cost by thinking that it had only cost me brakes, basic oil maintenance and a resonator in the 100+k km I've driven it (bought it with 55k on it) so it was time to open the wallet.
So the end of the shorter version is, new alternator (approx $800 part) with misc parts to update heat shielding and venting, electrical system tests (needed to diagnose and warranty parts/labour for 2yrs) and battery (a reasonable $200 from dealer for the same 800amp), new serpentine belt at my request seeing as they were in there, and a couple other little things. It was expensive (about $1800 all said and done) but it also included a weekend rental/loner of a literally brand new Ford Edge (400km on it).
An interesting thing is, the week before this happened I was out of town and had been driving a new loaded Ford Flex rental for the week (almost identical drivetrain and fuel mileage to the top of line Edge) and the wife was driving the XC when it died so I hadn't driven it for more than 2wks. The experience with the rentals really reassured me that I did the right thing to fix the XC and not do something like cheap out on the repair (have read where some guys have put in a couple aftermarket alternators with less mileage) or consider offing the vehicle for something else newer with even more electrical tech crap to go wrong.
After I got back into the XC, the power and ride of my V8 at 163k is still in a much higher class than either of the jiggly new Fords I was driving. (one had 18" wheels, the other 20") The V6's in them only gave slightly better fuel mileage than the Volvo at a steady flat hwy speed, but as soon as you where in the hills or city driving the avg was almost the same as the V8 (10.8 vs 10.9 for the V8) and the V6's were constantly shifting and sounding busy revving to 3-4k rpm just to keep up. The V8 just pulls happily away from traffic at less than 2k with 2-3k bringing big acceleration.
Long live the V8 !

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Glad it all worked out. I went through this last year and went to an independent for the replacement. Paid $260 for a remanufactured Bosch alternator from RockAuto.com. Just checked and their remanufactured Bosch units have gone down in price and they have factory new units in the four hundreds. With a few hours labor at a Volvo independent this is a $500-$800 job depending on whether you go for reman with core exchange or NIB unit.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the heads up on Rockauto. Could work out to be more with shipping to Canada and dealing with the shipping the core back though.
What mileage did yours go at ? Where you able to get one with the updated shielding and cooling duct ? This was another $150 or so as mine didn't have the updated parts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts