SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide whether I need to take any action wrt the rear springs on the 2002 V70XC that I recently purchased. The car has 125K on it. The front struts and springs were replaced prior to my purchase. The front spring part number is 31200372, which I believe is correct for chassis spring code 7G. The rear springs weren't replaced and are original as far as I know. The front of the car seems to be riding relatively high. I installed a set of spring adjusters in rear, which addressed the problem somewhat. Ride height measurements (measured from center of wheel to fender lip) are now as as follows:

LF: 17.5"
RF: 18"
LR: 16.75"
RR: 17.25"

Right now I'm leaning toward replacing the rear springs/shocks, but I wanted to check here on what's in the range of normal height. It seems like it would be ok as is for driving around town, but if loaded up for a trip might be a bit saggy.

Attaching a photo for reference.

I have rear spring chassis code B9, which I believe points to part number 8646865 for left side and 9473371 for the right side.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
The front look right but the back looks a bit low... That's a darn pretty Ocean Race! Needs Pegs :rolleyes:

I doubt it's the springs... Shocks are far more likely.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Does not need PEGS
DOES need springs and they DO make a huge difference. With miles they weaken and sag

For reference my old 07 after new springs, shocks and struts all around.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I'll plan to do the springs/shocks sometime in the next month or two as time allows. With any luck I'll find the original sway bars from my R and install those at the same time.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The front look right but the back looks a bit low... That's a darn pretty Ocean Race! Needs Pegs :rolleyes:

I doubt it's the springs... Shocks are far more likely.
This car doesn't have nivomats so no way it can be the shocks. Nevertheless, once in there I'd replace both.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I installed the new rear springs and shocks this weekend. I installed an IPD Sway bar as well, since I had everything apart anyway. This wasn't a very pleasant job, but I'm glad it's done. I ran out of time and will have to do the front sway bar another time. The rear bar makes a nice difference in combination with the new springs and shocks - the ride is a bit less floaty. The ride height in rear is noticeably improved although t's not very apparent in the photo below. I haven't taken any measurements yet, but will do so tomorrow.

IPD sway bar as installed

Stock bar vs IPD. The stock bar is sort of a joke.

Original shocks and springs look pretty beat.

While I was at it I replaced the TCV hoses. Another not so pleasant job.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I figured that between the K&N air filter and the IPD HD TCV I'd be in for a lot of counseling. I always monitor silicon levels in the oil with oil analysis and the K&N filters have always provided good filtering... for me... in my cars... in my location.

Replace your K&N with a paper filter. K&N can't filter for crap, by design.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
New measurements:

LF: 17.5"
RF: 17.75
LR: 17.25"
RR: 17.25"

This is without any spring adjusters installed, which would have added 1/2" to the original springs.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts

LOL, I Know. It's like a paper clip. I had my mechanic install the sway bars and he was laughing at the size difference.

BTW on K&N Filters:
The stock element and stock box flows very well. Even with my setup my MAF register ~240g/s (or approx 300bhp). With the AEM dryflow filter the number increases by 10g/s, but low end and turbo spool is still the same. The oil from the K&N is also known to contaminate the MAF and cause errors.

IPD TCV:
Honestly, should have left it stock.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I first saw that rear sway bar I didn't even recognize it as a sway bar. I thought it was a vacuum line at first... so small. :)

LOL, I Know. It's like a paper clip. I had my mechanic install the sway bars and he was laughing at the size difference.

BTW on K&N Filters:
The stock element and stock box flows very well. Even with my setup my MAF register ~240g/s (or approx 300bhp). With the AEM dryflow filter the number increases by 10g/s, but low end and turbo spool is still the same. The oil from the K&N is also known to contaminate the MAF and cause errors.

IPD TCV:
Honestly, should have left it stock.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
14Mm vs 22mm

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Front IPD sway bar is in. The job wasn't as bad as I expected. I used an engine support bracket to support the engine from above. No major hiccups in the procedure. I just made sure to be careful with the various brake, vacuum, and electrical (O2 sensor) lines. I used a combination of the IPD instructions and the instructions posted by StealthyS60R back in 2010. The car feels pretty good. Just need to get it aligned in the near future.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 18 of 18 Posts