SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. At the risk of this being confused with the eBay related for-sale thread update that I'll probably be posting in the next day or so...I'll ask the question. For the record, and because I'm sure the timing will draw comments, this does not pertain to our car, which I'm selling.

My in-laws also have a 2000 V70XC...I think it has about 115k on it. I believe they ended up with a leaky bevel housing, but I never actually saw the housing or talked to the tech who worked on the car. So they're weighing their options. Frankly, I'm not thinking it wise for them to replace the bevel assembly for $2500+ considering the fact that I haven't had bites on mine (with a working bevel) at $5k.

So this leads to the questions...I really did try hard to do a search (even using google and URL swedespeed.com, but couldn't answer these specific questions.

1) If they remove the driveshaft (and it actually is a bevel gear issue), will the noise go away? If it will...why? Shouldn't it make noise whether it's connected or not?

2) If they settle on removing the driveshaft, what else needs to be done to make the car drivable and servicable for a few more years? Do the receiving ends of the rear diff and the bevel housing need to be sealed or anything?

3) If someone competent is removing the driveshaft, will they be able to intuitively tell if it's a driveshaft issue or a bevel issue?

4) Is the driveshaft removal something I can do on jackstands...is it technically difficult? Or do I need a mechanic and/or a lift?

5) What's the labor time on changing the bevel? Is it even worth it to try for a used bevel gear assembly?

Thanks in advance. This car's been more-or-less sitting for the last 6 months because my FIL doesn't know what he wants to do with it.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Re: V70XC Driveline Noise...options? (XCnownow)

Quote, originally posted by XCnownow »
Hey all. At the risk of this being confused with the eBay related for-sale thread update that I'll probably be posting in the next day or so...I'll ask the question. For the record, and because I'm sure the timing will draw comments, this does not pertain to our car, which I'm selling.

My in-laws also have a 2000 V70XC...I think it has about 115k on it. I believe they ended up with a leaky bevel housing, but I never actually saw the housing or talked to the tech who worked on the car. So they're weighing their options. Frankly, I'm not thinking it wise for them to replace the bevel assembly for $2500+ considering the fact that I haven't had bites on mine (with a working bevel) at $5k.

So this leads to the questions...I really did try hard to do a search (even using google and URL swedespeed.com, but couldn't answer these specific questions.

1) If they remove the driveshaft (and it actually is a bevel gear issue), will the noise go away? If it will...why? Shouldn't it make noise whether it's connected or not?
If they remove the driveshaft and the noise goes away then the problem is within the driveshaft. Most likely the carrier bearing but it could be one of the 2 u-joints (Volvo makes a repair kit for those that costs $240 or so each).
If the problem is within the bevel gear it will make noise either way b/c the gear is still moving regardless of whether or not the prop shaft is installed b/c the bevel gear is connected to the transmission and right side driveshaft which are moving.

2) If they settle on removing the driveshaft, what else needs to be done to make the car drivable and servicable for a few more years? Do the receiving ends of the rear diff and the bevel housing need to be sealed or anything?
The bevel/angle gear can be resealed for a lot less than $2500 for a new unit. If all that is wrong with the bevel gear is that it's leaking then about $600 or so is the cost to reseal it (R and R, new seals, and reseal the casing at the dealer). If it is making noise then there is more wrong with it than simply a leak.

3) If someone competent is removing the driveshaft, will they be able to intuitively tell if it's a driveshaft issue or a bevel issue?
Probably not. You can tell if the boots are torn/worn away indicating a lot of heat has hit the u joints etc. and if grease is leaking out of them but you won't be able to tell if that's definitely the cause of the noise. Often the driveshaft is making noise and so is the angle gear and possibly the viscous coupling as well...and in rare cases the rear differential! At which point the car is a disaster.

4) Is the driveshaft removal something I can do on jackstands...is it technically difficult? Or do I need a mechanic and/or a lift?
Yes it is doable on jackstands. You need to mark it so that when it is reinstalled it is oriented the same way you took it out.

5) What's the labor time on changing the bevel? Is it even worth it to try for a used bevel gear assembly?
You will probably get charged 2 hours of labor to R&R a bevel gear. It can be worth getting a used assembly, but honestly most of them out there are shot or are already starting to slip but the junkyards don't understand how to properly check them (or don't care).

Thanks in advance. This car's been more-or-less sitting for the last 6 months because my FIL doesn't know what he wants to do with it.

Hope this helps you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts