SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
The reviews indicate a lot of satisfied Russians. I've yet to order anything from Ali can't shake the sketchy vibes but seems legit and the price is quite low.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reviews indicate a lot of satisfied Russians. I've yet to order anything from Ali can't shake the sketchy vibes but seems legit and the price is quite low.
Haha yes. I actually bought them and have some concern about them holding. Will be using them with a roofbox and probably loading up 120lbs.

Id love more input.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Honestly I'd go OEM (Thule made I believe)or Yakima. NOT a component I ever want to fail. I got yakima towers, bars, and rack and those things seem ironclad. Thule is a bit cleaner aesthetically.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly I'd go OEM (Thule made I believe)or Yakima. NOT a component I ever want to fail. I got yakima towers, bars, and rack and those things seem ironclad. Thule is a bit cleaner aesthetically.
Yes. That was my thinking too. Do you have a link for the ones you got?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
http://www.amazon.com/Yakima-RailGrab-Kit-Bars-Towers/dp/B0032C739O

Great price compared to what I've seen elsewhere, but these are maybe too wide/rugged looking for your application?

You can see pictures of them installed with and without cargo basket in my build thread
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?235242-Young-Satchel-s-Adventure-Utility-XC70-Build
Yes, these look sturdy, my neighbor actually had a pair of these on his volvo xc70, so went over to look at them,
he said they where quite noisy but that he got used to them.

I assume i could cut of the ends to make them more snug, or is there some reason other than resale that you would not cut these ?

Thanks for your suggestions!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Yeah mine are a bit more noisy than some might like. Not bothered by it really. I am going to keep mine long for a few months and see if I end up hitting my head on them too much :) If so, I'll lop them off and slap the caps back on the new ends (they are removable)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah mine are a bit more noisy than some might like. Not bothered by it really. I am going to keep mine long for a few months and see if I end up hitting my head on them too much :) If so, I'll lop them off and slap the caps back on the new ends (they are removable)
Sweet, yes i got a new box and crossbars this weekend. Thule bars, older ones, but sturdy, no more flex from those bars i had, i did not drive my car with them and the box on, made me too nervous, but now its solid, no noticeable wind noise either, so im happy :) although the box is somewhat smaller than the one i had (gave it to my wife before i saw the new one) so its an indicator for getting rid of some things :)

My Volvo is all thule´d out now, thule racks, box and bike rack, going Swedish.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sweet, yes i got a new box and crossbars this weekend. Thule bars, older ones, but sturdy, no more flex from those bars i had, i did not drive my car with them and the box on, made me too nervous, but now its solid, no noticeable wind noise either, so im happy :) although the box is somewhat smaller than the one i had (gave it to my wife before i saw the new one) so its an indicator for getting rid of some things :)

My Volvo is all thule´d out now, thule racks, box and bike rack, going Swedish.
I don't understand why people like Thule and Yakima racks. They are higher and of course would put more stress on the rails due to the leverage. Not to mention the air resistance

·
Registered
2,422 Posts

·
Registered
17,854 Posts
I got OEM off craigslist for 100, and love them. Worked perfectly for the rooftop box on the XC70. Wish I had rails that were silver to match (mine are black). However, with all the silver XCs in my area with rails and cross bars, it's easy to tell which one is my wife from a distance!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just bought a pair of used OEM bars and I'm amazed by how flimsy they are. One of them actually arrived broken because it doesn't have the fairings and without those to protect it, the clamp must have gotten torqued and the rivet broke. Why is the clamp held in place with a flimsy rivet? Once I get my refund I'm buying the cheap Chinese one.

Also, the piece that the clamp rivets to just slips right out. I'm not sure how the contraption even clamps strongly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.