SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious of other experience with using other than volvo brake pads..
whether using other than volvo genuine parts for brake pads will cause the brakes to squeal?

the reason i ask is because i have a very convenient service station to my home. they can replace my front ceramic pads made by Akekabo.

when i called the service station that specializes in volvo they said don't use anything but volvo pads otherwise the brakes will squeal.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Re: v70xc 2001 front brake pads (sharpeirescue)

The issue is usually with cheap brake components from the local Pep Boys/Auto Zone/Advance; high quality parts tend to be fairly issue free.

I'm running Akebono Euro pads with no squeal issues. Just be generous with the anti-squeal grease they provide (applied to the back of the pad).

·
Registered
207 Posts
Re: v70xc 2001 front brake pads (VTT5)

Quote, originally posted by VTT5 »
The issue is usually with cheap brake components from the local Pep Boys/Auto Zone/Advance; high quality parts tend to be fairly issue free.

I'm running Akebono Euro pads with no squeal issues. Just be generous with the anti-squeal grease they provide (applied to the back of the pad).

Akebono front and rear, Brembo rotors front and rear. I have about 70,000 miles on mine and about 1/2 the pads left.

If you are not doing new rotors, make sure they are turned with an on-car brake lathe.

I just HAD to do brake hoses (one split), used the IPD stainless steel ones. HUGE improvement in brake feel!

Landru
2001 V70 T5M 202,000 miles

·
Registered
911 Posts
Re: v70xc 2001 front brake pads (Landru)

Also running the Akebono/Brembo combo...

http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
329 Posts
Re: v70xc 2001 front brake pads (sharpeirescue)

I too have both my V-70s on the brembo rotors and akebono pads....virtually no dust, oem braking, squeal free ... I have 10k on my wifes' and no issues whatsoever, only 2k on my car, I would highly recommend this setup...FCP GROTON has the compete package for 355$ shipped. JHW ...ps My indy mechanic recommended replacing rotors and pads as a package to prevent squealing...he did not recommend turning the rotors if I was going ceramic...so I replaced rotors and pads

1 - 5 of 5 Posts