SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '99 model with a problem. Former owner, who lost the key, tried to pick the lock. Bad idea.. I know that the car ran, but I'd like to know that the engine still does. Can I force the engine to run with out the steering column engaged ? Sort of hot wire it to hear the engine run?

bk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am unfamiliar with Volvos. But if I remove the ignition and the starter (from the whole system), wont the thing start?

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
I am unfamiliar with Volvos. But if I remove the ignition and the starter (from the whole system), wont the thing start?
No. Ecu needs key chip handshake to initiate fuel pump.

The easiest and cheapest attempt would be to get a key, cluster, ecu, tcu, immobilizer from a donor car and swap it all over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK. I don't have any of those things. I assume that you mean the key and cluster (from the dashboard), the ECU and the TCU are down in the area near the power steering pump. Where is the immobilizer situated?

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Can't a dealer provide a key based on VIN?
Best way to keep it easy and maintain stock
condition and vehicle history. Worth a call...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is no key produced by vpn. The dealer wanted to tow the car 45 miles to the dealer, and have the key and whatnot replaced at $400-500 dollars, and have car re flashed, then we could see if the engine is worth saving.
Or, perhaps not..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No. Ecu needs key chip handshake to initiate fuel pump.

The easiest and cheapest attempt would be to get a key, cluster, ecu, tcu, immobilizer from a donor car and swap it all over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How much would this cost? No point in buying a "new" car in replacing the old one...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts