SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have experience comparing these?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Re: V70R vs. BMW 325xi wagon and Audi 3.2 6-speed avant (Psychwarlord)

We have both a V70R & a 330Xi sedan. I know they're not the same, but he 330 is similar enough to the wagon to make a couple of inferences. <p>First, I should state up front, that I prefer the 330 over the R on almost any dimension except acceleration. The R is just a hoot to drive fast in cold weather. Not to mention embarssing the mustang & camaro crowds at stop lights.<p>Second, even with 18" wheels on my 330xi it rides so much better than the 4c suspension on the R it's not even worth discussing. The handling is, in general, better -- although there is a touch more body lean in the 330. <p>Third, just two words: turning radius.<p>Fourth, for what it's worth the BMW get's about 20% better fuel economy. I get between 28-30mpg on the highway (65-70mph) vs 24-25mpg on the Volvo.<p>Finally, the BMW has been more reliable, for us, than our R. We have an early 04 and it has been in for all the popular problems. Rear-end hop, Axle spline click (3 time), Wiper Motor, Shifter buzzing, plus a host of other items.<p>

·
Registered
336 Posts
Re: V70R vs. BMW 325xi wagon and Audi 3.2 6-speed avant (zephyr451)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>zephyr451</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We have both a V70R & a 330Xi sedan. I know they're not the same, but he 330 is similar enough to the wagon to make a couple of inferences. <p>First, I should state up front, that I prefer the 330 over the R on almost any dimension except acceleration. The R is just a hoot to drive fast in cold weather. Not to mention embarssing the mustang & camaro crowds at stop lights.<p>Second, even with 18" wheels on my 330xi it rides so much better than the 4c suspension on the R it's not even worth discussing. The handling is, in general, better -- although there is a touch more body lean in the 330. <p>Third, just two words: turning radius.<p>Fourth, for what it's worth the BMW get's about 20% better fuel economy. I get between 28-30mpg on the highway (65-70mph) vs 24-25mpg on the Volvo.<p>Finally, the BMW has been more reliable, for us, than our R. We have an early 04 and it has been in for all the popular problems. Rear-end hop, Axle spline click (3 time), Wiper Motor, Shifter buzzing, plus a host of other items.</TD></TR></TABLE><p><br>I would have to agree with all of this, although we have a 530i (same engine and trans though). Reliability isn't a factor for us as we've only had the Volvo 3 weeks. From a size standpoint, the V70 is considerably larger than the 325 and the Audi (assuming you mean the A4). It's really more practical if you ever plan on using the back seat. If you're thinking of leasing, you can get a much better deal on a BMW now (not sure about the Audi), and could actually get a 530Xi Touring for little more than a V70R goes for. The 530XiT is larger than the Volvo, and can be had with a manual trans (if that's an issue for you). The BMW is flat out a superior car, but I do like that I never see other R's around here, whereas I see BMW's everywhere. And that turbo-rush is pretty cool.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts