SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am getting around to ordering a lot of suspension parts on the 98V70R 130K I recently purchased. I have ordered some parts and could use some input for a few things. I am hoping to replace as much as possible all at once and get it taken care of for the long haul...

Parts ordered already:
Rear R Nivomats- Tasca
IPD Sway Bars & HD end links

Following part to be ordered:

• I have decided to try out the Kony Strt Struts since Michigan roads are horrible and I need a soft setting- Eurosporttunning.com seems to have the best deal at $264 for the pair. Does the FCPeuro discount code not work anymore?-
  • As far as strut mounts and spring seats- Is it worth it to get HD from IPD or is OEM quality sufficient
  • I am looking to lower the car and realize after some research that drop bolts for the rear and lowering springs for the front is the easiest way. Is my only option for obtaining just the front springs buying used from someone?
  • I also plan to replace Front Control Arms and Rear Axles- Any recommendations for best price/quality? I have seen a variety of prices for control arms specifically

Anything else you guys recommend I do at the same time to get taken care of?

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
  • I have decided to try out the Kony Strt Struts since Michigan roads are horrible and I need a soft setting- Eurosporttunning.com seems to have the best deal at $264 for the pair. Does the FCPeuro discount code not work anymore?- No, FCP doesn't do discount codes anymore.
  • As far as strut mounts and spring seats- Is it worth it to get HD from IPD or is OEM quality sufficient OEM usually hold up well, but the IPD HD ones are essentially OEM XC90 seats for what its worth
  • I am looking to lower the car and realize after some research that drop bolts for the rear and lowering springs for the front is the easiest way. Is my only option for obtaining just the front springs buying used from someone? Yes, no one sells just front springs. IPDs give the biggest drop, H&Rs ride the best.
  • I also plan to replace Front Control Arms and Rear Axles- Any recommendations for best price/quality? I have seen a variety of prices for control arms specificallyFront arms, stick with OEM. Seen lots of aftermarket ones fail quickly/prematurely. I don't know why you'd replace the rear axles unless they're blown, but I've never seen/heard about that happening.

Anything else you guys recommend I do at the same time to get taken care of?
Make sure you get a 4 wheel alignment when your done!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input
Another question- All Front lowering springs for S70/C70/V70 would work correct? I will hope I can stumble across H&Rs then..

The previous owner said the rear left Axle needed to be replaced- I haven't had it checked yet but just planned to replace them both- Until I just found out they are $290 each- Hopefully they can wait

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Look into getting a remanufactured rear axle, no need to go new....unless they don't exist, not sure.

XC90 Spring seats, yes.

Don't do springs until you've driven it with the new bars and nivomats. It might handle good enough to make you want to retain the stock springs. If not, go from there.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Thanks for the input
Another question- All Front lowering springs for S70/C70/V70 would work correct? I will hope I can stumble across H&Rs then..

The previous owner said the rear left Axle needed to be replaced- I haven't had it checked yet but just planned to replace them both- Until I just found out they are $290 each- Hopefully they can wait
yes, you can use any lowering spring, the front suspensions are all the same.

Do you know why the PO said it needed replacing? The rear axles are pretty robust. If one is making a sound, it is probably the rear wheel bearing, which are known fail every so often.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Burnout- Thanks I will go that route and hold off on the springs until after driving. The extra ground clearance could be nice in the winter as long as the car still handles well

Andy- The previous owner just said it probably would be smart to replace it- not giving too much info I do hear a noise back there when going over speed bumps and making turns.

Is is safe to say I should also order front strut top and stop washers as well as bump stops while I am doing this work?

·
Registered
428 Posts
For the front, bump stops and perhaps dust boots are going to be needed. You should not need to replace the stop washer and strut nut unless the car has lived in a very harsh climate all of it's years.
I think that you should have a closer look at the rear suspension (or have a really good Volvo indie do so), source of your described symptoms could be almost anything, including something that would be much less expensive to replace.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts